Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Urban, Carl Martin +
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 04:03 PM
Urban, Carl Martin +

Urban Charles M. Service Card.jpg - 231kB

Urban, Karl. Giddings Deutsches Volksblatt, 13 Mar 1919.

† Karl Urban fallen in France †
---

A few weeks ago Mr. and Mrs. Andreas Urban received the news that their son Karl had fallen at the beginning of November. Through the intermediary of the officials of the local Red Cross, this message was later confirmed. Recently, the following acknowledged news report came from Oklahoma:

Mr. and Mrs. Urban,
Giddings, Texas.
I feel it as my duty to give you a few lines concerning the death of your son Karl. In any case, you have already received the report. Karl was wounded on October 12 between four and four thirty in the afternoon. He got two rounds in each leg near the hips, as well as two shots of a machine gun, but brushed only the skin on the cross. (1) Karl was brought into the same trench where I found myself also wounded at about the same time. I spoke to him when he had been brought back. He was aware that his departure was only a matter of time. I can certainly tell you that Karl was ready and had no fear of death and eternity. I can also assure you both that you will meet your son in heaven, where there will be no suffering or pain. When the blessed will appear to receive the crown of life, your Karl will be among them. Karl was certainly a fine youth, whom I loved and cherished since our meeting on May 1,1918. From that time we were in the same company. As a relative of his may be in France, I will remark that Karl is buried in the Soldier's Cemetery four miles southwest of Grand Prairis on the western battlefield of Verdun.

I hereby convey my heartfelt condolences, and I am certain that our Savior Jesus Christ will give us all His blessings and peace if we rely only on Him. Trusting in Him as our Savior, I am certain, indeed almost compelled to say, that you will see your beloved son in the kingdom of honor of our God, when all our work in this world will be finished.

May God be praised and thanked for protecting me in this terrible struggle and giving me the grace to land in the beloved home, the United States, on the 4th of January this year. Now I have the pleasure of being with my faithful wife and with my two young children, who are very happy.
With sincere good wishes, I remain your
Robert L. George
McCurtain, Oklahoma

Translated by Weldon Mersiovsky

1. The small of the back is to referred to as the “Kreuz.” My best guess is that the skin in the small of his back was grazed with the machine gun fire. -David Goeke

Go To Top