Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kissman, Richard +
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 08:38 AM
Kissman, Richard +

Richard Kissman was not of Wendish origins. He is included in this section to honor his sacrifice. We treasure the letters he wrote.

Kissman, Richard Service Card.jpg - 231kB

World War I
Soldier’s Letter
Jul 28, 1914 – Nov 11, 1918

Letters from Richard Kissman

The following letters were written by Corporal Richard Kissman, who has been the only hero up to this time from Paige, Texas, who has given his life on the battlefield of France for the cause of Liberty. A telegram was received from Washington by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Kissmann, stating that he was killed in action November 4, 1918. Corporal Kissmann left his home for Camp Travis, Sept 20th, 1917, and had the misfortune to break his leg at Camp Travis in November, which kept him at the camp longer than some of the other members of the company. On June 6th, 1918, he left Camp Travis for overseas duty, and it was there where he met his death. Young Kissman was a faithful Christian and often expressed himself as having no fear of death. He was a good and loyal soldier, a devoted son and brother. He was aged 27 years, 8 months and 6 days.

Note: Richard was the second child, first son on William and Juliana née Meissner Kissman of Paige, Texas.

Somewhere in France
Aug. 26, 1918

My Dear Beloved Ones at Home:
Will write you all a few lines again to let you know how I am getting along. I am still doing fine and hope to hear the same from you all again. How is everything over there by now? It is rainy and cool weather here. Well, I expect you are all busy picking cotton over there by now. I sure wish I could be with you all again real soon, but we have to take what comes and be satisfied, for there is one above us who knows what we need and whatever He sends us will be for our best. We are still enjoying life in our daily drills. Did you all get letters from me that I wrote the date on? Hope you did. And how do the papers read about the war? The paper we got today reads pretty good. I see the time coming when I will be at home again and work on the same dear old place that I worked before I got in the army. As this is about all I know to write this time, will close with best wishes and regards.
From your true son and brother,
Corporal Richard Kissman
Co B, 360 Infantry, American E. F.

Somewhere in France
September 19, 1918

My Dear Beloved Ones:
Will try and write you all a few lines to let you know how I am getting along. I am fine and healthy again, had a little fever, but it did not amount to anything, for I am fine and healthy again and hope to hear the same from you all. I received Sophia’s letter, also that card and a letter from Albert and one from Rev. Heinemeier and my Alma. I would have written sooner, but couldn’t get a chance, for here where we are now it is pretty hard to get mail off.

We had some little scraps, but everything turned out fine and in in our favor. Here I saw the first German prisoners at a short distance, twenty-two of them were brought in by three American boys. Now about those other boys? I saw Hy. Koslan the other day, he is still O.K. and I can’t understand why his folks don’t get any mail from him if he writes. Also the other boys were getting along fine the last time I saw them.

So you all don’t need to worry about anything. I just hope that you are all getting along O.K. Sophia wrote like she wanted to send me some little things if I needed something. All I need sometimes is paper and envelopes, for it is hard to get it sometimes. I don’t need any stamps. This for instance, is some German stationery which I found over here, for they left lots of things as we beat them out of this sector. As I have written about all I know, will close with best wishes and regards. May God bless you all dearly, and write whenever you can. I am,
Your son and brother,
Corporal Richard Kissman

Notes: Albert was the third child, second son of William and Juliana née Meissner Kissman of Paige, Texas.
Rev Louis Heinemeier was the Pastor at Ebenezer Lutheran Church from 1910-1920.
Alma was the fourth child, second daughter of William and Juliana née Meissner Kissman of Paige, Texas

Somewhere in France
October 1, 1918

My Dear Beloved Ones at Home:
Your letters were all received, also those pictures and many thanks for same. Sure wish I could have been with you all, but don’t worry, it will be some time soon, for the way it looks now about the war. I don’t believe it will last much longer. Well, you wrote me that some of the boys had been at the front. Well, I went through that too. We got back last night.

This is some German stationery that I found in the trenches. They didn’t get time to take everything with them, for we sure made them go, they went so fast I even didn’t get time to take everything with them, for we sure made them go. They went so fast I even didn’t get a chance to shoot at one. Also got me a pair of German boots out of a dug out and they just fit me. I’ll bring them with me as a souvenir from the war. I wrote you all from the trenches that I didn’t feel good, but am now fine and dandy again, so don’t worry, for the good Lord has been with me so far and He will be with me furthermore, and if we don’t meet any more in this world it will be in that Beautiful Place, where there will be no more grief and sorrow and no parting forever. You asked about my pay: that is just like back in the states, paid by the month, of course, in French money. When I get paid next time I will send a little money home, as I don’t need it all over here. And about papa selling my mules, that was some good news for me. If you can sell the old horse just sell her too, but the young horses, don’t know if you should sell them, but do just as if they belonged to you. I am satisfied. I received about twelve letters from you all since I have been over here.

Will close for this time in hopes that this will find you all as healthy as it leaves me. With best wishes and regards from
Your son and brother,
Corporal Richard Kissman

Soldiers Letter
---
Zeitingen, Deutschland, 3.10-19
Comp. L. 360 Inf.

Miss Tina Kissmann
Rt. 1, Paige, Texas

In response to your letter of January 30th, I wanted to tell you that your brother Corporal Kissman had fallen on September 1, 1918. We were close to Andevanne, France, SGT Koch of Marion, Texas said. He was in a small ravine (formation) between Bamheville and Andevanne, when suddenly a grenade hit. He jumped on the spot where he was, dying with the sigh, "God help me." He went up 15 to 20 feet and fell down. A blanket was placed over him. He was buried where he fell. The sign of his grave as noted by the chaplain, is: Motz - Dun - Mense 307. 4-289-45. Andevanne is near Romagne, France.

Corporal Kissmann was always obedient and faithful in his duties. I do not know if his corpse is to be transferred to America for burial, this will be decided by the war department.

J. J. Schmidt
Captain 360 Infantry

Note: Tina was Albertina, the first child, first daughter of William and Juliana née Meissner Kissman of Paige, Texas

Go To Top