The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Roggan, Alfred and Simon Alfred Roggan and Katja Atanasow: Lower Sorbian/Wendish Public Signs in Lower Lusatia from the 19th...
mersiowsky
Super Administrator
*********




Posts: 2140
Registered: 2-13-2011
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 09:10 AM
Roggan, Alfred and Simon Alfred Roggan and Katja Atanasow: Lower Sorbian/Wendish Public Signs in Lower Lusatia from the 19th to the Middle of the 20th Century. A Documentation.


Lětopis Abstract 2011 2: Roggan, Alfred and Simon Alfred Roggan and Katja Atanasow: Lower Sorbian/Wendish Public Signs in Lower Lusatia from the 19th to the Middle of the 20th Century. A Documentation.

It can be demonstrated that Lower Sorbian has been used in the public sphere for 165 years. However, up to 1945 (or 1937) the language did not go beyond the religious or ritual sphere. The use of Lower Sorbian on street signs and buildings was rare. There were two exceptions: the land survey of Drebkau in 1846 by the Prussian state and the signs on the branch of the Wendish Volksbank AG in Cottbus (1928–1933).

As a result, the work of committed priests in Cottbus and the surrounding area was of decisive importance. Lower Sorbian inscriptions, mostly biblical sayings, can be found on galleries, bells and confirmation certificates. In addition, there are Lower Sorbian words on gravestones; however, only a few of these are preserved due to the length of time the graves have existed. The term “Wendish Regional Church” can contribute to an understanding of the historical and artistic particularities of Lower Lusatia and to a comparison with other regions of Germany.
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top


XMB Forum Software © 2001-2011 The XMB Group