Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ironclad Oath
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-6-2015 at 08:51 PM
Ironclad Oath

"I, A. B., do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I have never voluntarily borne arms against the United States since I have been a citizen thereof; that I have voluntarily given no aid, countenance, counsel, or encouragement to persons engaged in armed hostility thereto; that I have neither sought nor accepted nor attempted to exercise the functions of any office whatever, under any authority or pretended authority in hostility to the United States; that I have not yielded a voluntary support to any pretended government, authority, power or constitution within the United States, hostile or inimical thereto. And I do further swear (or affirm) that, to the best of my knowledge and ability, I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter, so help me God."

George Nielsen: “Once the war ended, the loyalty oath became a political party issue. They were not required if you did not care to engage in politics, and amnesty ended the matter. I have not seen a document signed by a Wend and don't even know if it was a certificate or just a list.”

Go To Top