Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 142.000 Karl Hannusch to Brother-in-law [Mahling] 25 Dec 1880
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 08:37 AM
142.000 Karl Hannusch to Brother-in-law [Mahling] 25 Dec 1880

Long Prairie 12/25 1880

Dear Brother-in-law and Sister.

In the name of Jesus Christ. Now since I have completed my trip and arrived at your brother in Long Prairie, Texas, where I was graciously received on November 17 in good health and up and about. I will stay with your brother until new year. After that I plan to stay with his son, a smith. There I plan to learn smithing. If that pleases me, I will stay, but, if not, I will look for a job somewhere else, for jobs in America are plentiful.

Dear brother-in-law, I am sure that you would like to know how I managed on the trip. The trip was real good, as was the entry. The worst was that there were many (1,200) people on the ship that many were Bohemians. That was the worst. They were filthy and infested with lice. Otherwise it was a great trip. Two times we had violent storms. At one time I stood knee-deep in water. These storms lasted only for two days. The meals were good on the ship. While with your brother I had meat three times a day. We do not have much cold weather here. Our weather in Texas is as warm as May weather is with you in Germany. Of your brother's children, three are married, and three still single, 2 daughters and 1 son. Your brother has much wood-land which is not used, and he has two renters on his land. Should I stay longer here in America, then I would plan to rent 40 acres from your brother. Many devoid of property in Germany should be permitted to emigrate. For here it is much easier to acquire some property than it is in Germany. Now I will close. Many heartfelt greetings to all of you. If we won't see each other in this world, we will see each other yonder.

I remain your brother-in-law
Karl Hanuschk

Should you want to mail a letter to me, you may use the same address, for I am living nearby. Live well. May we see each other again.

[W. Nielsen]

Long Prairie den 12/25 1880

Lieber Schwager und Schwester!

Im Namen Jesum Christum. Da ich nun meine Reise vollbracht habe und bin gesund und munter zu deinen Bruder nach Long Prairie nach Texas angekommenm bin (den 17 November) und derselbe hat mich auch freundlich angenommen Bei deinem Bruder bleibe ich bis zum Neujahr. Nach diesen mache ich bei seinen Sohn, bei den Schmied. Dort will ich die Schmiede Profession erlernen. Wenn mir das gefällt dann bleibe ich bei ihn. Gefällt mirs aber nicht dann mache ich wieder weiter. Denn Arbeit gibt es in Amerika genug.

Lieber Schwager du willst auch wollen wissen wie mirs auf meine Reise gegangen ist. Die Reise war ganz gut, wie das Einziehen war, und das schlimmste daß mir sehr viel Leute wahren (1200) auf dem Schiffe, und waren auch sehr viel Bemische [Bohemian?] Leute darauf. Das war das schlimmste. Denn die waren zu sehr unreinlich und hatten auch viel Leisse [Läuse]. Sonst wahr auf der Reise ganz gut. Zwei mal hatten wir sehr großen Sturm daß ich selbst einmal bis an die Knie in Wasser gestanden habe. Das dauerte aber nur 2 Tage. Das Essen war auch gut auf dem Schiff und bei deinem Bruder habe ich Fleisch 3 mal täglich.

Kälte haben wir es nicht groß. Denn bei uns in Texas ist es so als wie bei euch in Deutschland im Monat Mai. Deinen Bruder seine Kinder sind 3 verhei¬ratet und 3 sind noch nicht verheiratet, 2 Töchter und 1 Sohn. Dein Bruder hat auch sehr viel Waldung was er gar nicht verbrauchen kann und hat auch 2 Pächter auf sein Land und wenn ich länger in Amerika bleibe dann werde ich auch bei deinem Bruder 40 Acker pachten und viel noch bar-- aus Deutschland raus kommen lassen. Denn hier kann man eher zu was kommen als wie bei euch in Deutschland. Ich will nun schließen. Viele herzliche Grüße an euch alle. Sehen wir uns nicht in dieser Welt da sehen wir uns doch in jener Welt.

Ich verbleibe dein Schwager
Karl Hanuschk

Wenn du einen Brief an mich schicken willst da kannst gerade so schreiben wie die Adresse ist denn ich bin nicht weit entfernt. Lebe wohl, auf Wiedersehn.

[W. Nielsen]

Go To Top