Author: Subject: 137.440 Kilian to Hanser [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 15 Oct 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 07:18 PM
137.440 Kilian to Hanser [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 15 Oct 1877

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas 15 October 1877
The Rev. Prof. Otto Hanser, Fort Wayne, Indiana

Dear Director!

In the near future you will be receiving a bill of exchange from Galveston in the sum of $50 for my son Hermann. As soon as your certificate of receipt arrives, I will pay the money to Friedrich Kessel, our merchant here.

Herman had the notion to leave for Springfield on September 26. But then your letter and recommendation arrived on September 25 and brought everything in disorder or much more in order. Through the workings of your letter and recommendation it happened that Hermann did not leave for Springfield on September 26 but again left for Fort Wayne.

On the day of Hermann’s departure I wrote to Professor Crämer and informed him that my son will not attend the practical seminary. I copied your recommendation that I sent along to the professor, and have entrusted it to him [Hermann] as a remembrance of the important event in my family.

We are in dire straits. The cotton worm has early on eaten everything green to the ground, so that the cotton crop in Serbin is only a fourth of the former yield. Therefore my pastoral income is small this year and yet my expenditures for Hermann this year are unusually high.

Now a bit more. The Inquisitorial spirit, this nightmarish monster of the Roman Pope, has emerged in our Texas conference and persecutes me. I would very much like to know if the sinister spirit is also around in other parts of the Missouri Synod. The dear brothers in Fort Wayne should alertly pay attention to it.

With that I remain in the Lord,
Sincerely, Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas am 15ten October 1877
Rev. Prof. Otto Hanser, Fort Wayne, Ind.

Hochwürdiger, Geliebter Herr Director!

Sie werden von mir im nächster Zeit einen Wechsel aus Galveston, im Bertrag 50 Dollars für meinen Sohn Hermann empfangen. Sobald Ihr Empfangschein angekommen sein wird, werde ich das Geld an unsern Kaufmann Friedr. Kessel hier auszahlen.

Hermann war im begriff, am 26 September nach Springfield abzugehen. Aber da kam Ihr Brief u Zeugniß am 25sten September an und brachte Alles in Unordnung oder vielmehr in Ordnung. Durch die Wirkung Ihres Briefes und Zeugnisses geschah es, daß Hermann am 26sten September nicht nach Springfield, sondern wieder nach Fort Wayne ging.

Am Tage der Abreise Hermann's schrieb ich an Herrn Professor Crämer und zeigte ihm an, daß er nun meinen Sohn Hermann doch nicht ins praktische Seminar bekomme. Ihr Zeugniß, das ich den Herrn Professor mit zusandte, habe ich zum Andenken an einen wichtigen Vorgang in meiner Familie ihm überlassen, nachdem ich vorher Abschrift genommen. Wir sind in der Noth. Der Cottonwurm hat alles Frische vorzeitig niedergefressen, so daß in Serbin die Baumwollenernte nur den vierten Theil des sonstigen Ertrages aus gibt. Darum ist auch meine Pfarreinkommen dieses Jahr gering, da doch meine Ausgaben für Hermann ungewöhnlich hoch sind in diesem Jahre.

Nun noch etwas. Der Inquisitionsgeist, dieser gespenstische Unhold des Römischen Papsthums, ist in unserer Texas Conferenz aufgetaucht und verfolgt mich. Ich möchte nun gern wissen, ob der unheimliche Geist auch in andern Kreisen der Missouri Synode umgeht. Die lieben Herren Brüder in Fort Wayne werden gütigst darauf Obacht haben.

Damit verbleibe ich im Herrn Ev. Hochwürden ergebener

Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

137.44.1 Kilian to Hanser.60.jpg - 146kB

137.44.2 Kilian to Hanser.60.jpg - 70kB

Go To Top