Author: Subject: 136.900 Kilian to Günther [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 5 Jan 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 06:05 PM
136.900 Kilian to Günther [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 5 Jan 1877

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas 5 January 1877
To Mr. Martin Günther, St. Louis

Dear Professor!

That you have issued a magazine for Lutheran homiletics has filled me with extraordinary joy. The crown of the Missouri Synod, “Die Lehre and Wehre” [Doctrine and Apologetics] which together with the “Lutheraner” presents for our reading all church events in the world, will not be encroached by it. Both journals will portray the Missouri Synod, which is now the Eldorado for the religious community, in a positive light.

Now I have been inspired to bring forward my talent, having already authored things in Germany. Up to now my theological career has had a peculiar course, in that I did not grasp the courage, until the 40th year in office, to write something for the world which after more than 20 years, so to speak, lay fallow.

My primary strength is in homiletics, the dogmatics of the Missouri Synod does not please me on each occasion. I am therefore a liberal in the Missouri Synod.

My dear Walther is also praised more for his homiletical achievements than for his dogmatics. But now the pontifical element should step forward. Then the Missouri Synod would be the church of the future.

This short letter is intended only be an encouraging greeting. When you want a contribution from me, write to me.

Yours in the Lord.
Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas am 5ten Januar 1877
An Herrn Martin Günther, St. Louis

Hochwürdiger Herr Professor!

Daß sie ein Magazin für ev. lutherische Homiletik erscheinen lassen, erfüllt mich mit außerordentlicher Freude. Die Krone der Missouri-Synode, "Die Lehre und Wehre", welche mit den "Lutheraner" uns alle Zustände der Kirchenwelt vor Augen stellt, wird dadurch nicht angetastet werden. Beide Blätter werden uns die Missouri-Synode, welche jetzt das Eldorado der Kirchenwelt ist, erst recht im Licht vorstellen.

Jetzt bekomme ich ein Herz, meine Gabe auch anzubringen, nachdem ich in Deutschland schon schriftstellert habe. Meine theologische Laufbahn hat bisher einen so eigenthümlichen Verlauf gehabt, daß ich erst im vierzigsten Jahre meines Amtes den Muth fasse, auch etwas für die Welt zu schreiben, nachdem ich über 20 Jahre, so zu sagen, brach gelegen habe.

Meine Hauptkraft liegt in der Homiletik, die Dogmatik der Missouri-Synode will mir nicht in jeder Beziehung gefallen. Ich bin also ein Liberaler der Missouri-Synode.

Auch ist mein lieber Walther wegen seiner homiletischen Leistungen mehr gelobt, als wegen seiner Dogmatischen. Nun sollte aber noch das prophetisch "pontische Element hinzutreten. Dann würde die Missouri-Synode die Kirche der Zukunft sein.

Dieser kurze Brief soll nur ein aufmunternder Grüß sein. Wenn Sie Beitrage von mir haben wollen, schreiben Sie mir.

Im Herrn Ihr
Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN]

136.9 Kilian to Guenther.60.jpg - 155kB

Go To Top