Author: Subject: 135.000 Kilian to Hermann [CHI] 28 Feb 1876
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-25-2015 at 09:41 AM
135.000 Kilian to Hermann [CHI] 28 Feb 1876

Serbin, Lee Co. 28 February 1876
To Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Dear Hermann!

Your last letter is from 19 December 1875. I have long delayed my answer to you because I had much office work and because I have often been listless and downhearted. Now I can no longer let you wait but I must write several lines.

Thank you for your friendly New Year’s greeting which we received. May God be with you and give you joy and blessing so you can continue your studies with energy.

Some time ago I received a printed report on the educational institutions of the Missouri Synod. From it I learned the personnel of the Gymnasium in Fort Wayne, the names of the professors and the names of the students. I also found your dear name listed.

From here there is not much cheerful news I can report. As a result of the separation of Teinert’s [group] and the installation of Pastor Stiemke, one-seventh of my congregation was torn away as in a flood. And the St. Peter’s congregation, after the departure of Pastor Greif, still shows the old hatred. Only the young people of both congregations seem to have remained friendly. Many Wends belonging to the St. Peter congregation often admit that they do not understand the German. Nevertheless only several few families have come to us. On Serbin rests the curse of the worthless church schism. That is why I can no longer by happy.

My trip to Europe, which I had planned, will also not materialize. Such a journey costs a lot of money. I must continue with my lonesome lifestyle and say with Solomon, “All is vain and lamentable.”

As far as I am concerned, I am as a rule relatively well in the morning. But after eating I feel uneasy and exhausted. Nevertheless I can still look after the work of my ministry. How I will feel in the hot season, I cannot predict.

Your mother is also occasionally sickly. But your siblings, Gerhard, Theresia, Bernhard and Hulda are well. They all send you greetings.

Accept these few sentences as love. I communicate little with the outside world and travel nowhere that I do not have to. I also do not write many letters. This letter is the second that I have written this year.

Your mother wishes you all the best and warns you against all carelessness. She wept when you wrote on December 4 about the two college students who drowned in a canal.

Now I comment you to God’s protection and the words of his grace and remain in the Lord.

Your loving father,
Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas am 28sten Februar 1876
An Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Lieber Hermann!

Dein letzter Brief ist vom 19ten December 1875. Ich habe lange gezaudert, Dir darauf zu antworten, weil ich viel Amtsarbeiten hatte und weil ich oft unlustig und niedergeschlagen bin. Jetzt kann ich Dich aber doch nicht länger warten lassen, sondern muß Dir etliche Zeilen schreiben.

Wir danken Dir für Deinen freundlichen Neujahrswunsch, den wir richtig erhalten haben. Gott sei mit Dir und gebe Dir Freudigkeit und Segen Deine Studien mit Kraft fortzusetzen.

Ohnlängst habe ich, den gedruckten Bericht von den Lehranstalten der Missouri Synod empfangen. Daraus erfahre ich den Personalbestand des Gymnasiums in Fort Wayne, die Namen der Professoren und die Namen der Schüler. Auch Deinen lieben Namen finde ich darunter.

Von hier kann ich Dir nicht viel Tröstliches mittheilen. Durch die Losreißung Teinerts und durch die Anstellung P. Stiemke's ist der siebente Theil meiner Gemeinde weggerissen wie durch eine Wasserfluth. Und die St. Petri Gemeinde zeigt sich nach dem Wegzuge P. Greifs ihren alten Haß. Nur die Jugend der beide Gemeinden scheint freundlicher gestimmt zu sein. Viele Wenden der St. Petri Gemeinde gestehen offen, daß sie das Deutsche nicht verstehen. Dennoch sind nur erst etliche wenige Familien zu uns gekommen. Auf Serbin lasset der Fluch der muthwilligen Kirchentrennungen. Darum kann ich nicht mehr fröhlich sein.

Meine Reise nach Europa, die ich vorhatte, wird wohl auch nicht zu Stande kommen. Solch eine Reise kostet zu viel Geld. Ich muß meine einsame Lebensart fortführen und mit Salomo sprechen: Es ist alles eitel und Jammer.

Was mich anlangt, so bin ich Vormittags in der Regel ziemlich wohl. Nach dem Essen aber fühle ich mich unbehaglich u abgespannt. Dennoch kann ich die Arbeiten meines Amtes noch besorgen. Wie es in der heißen Zeit werden wird, kann ich nicht voraussagen.

Deine Mutter ist auch mitunter kränklich. Aber Deine Geschwister Gerhard, Theresia, Bernhard und Hulda sind munter. Sie lassen Dich alle grüßen. +

Nimm mir diesen wenigen Zeilen für lieb. Ich verkehre wenig mit der Außenwelt und komme nirgends hin, als wo ich hin muß. Ich schreibe auch nicht viel Briefe. Dieser Brief ist der zweite, den ich in diesem Jahre schreibe.

Deine Mutter läßt Dir alles Gute wünschen u warnt Dich vor aller Unvorsichtigkeit. Sie hat geweint, als Du am 4 December von der zwei College - Schülern schriebst, die im Canal bald ertrunken wären.

Nun befehle ich Dich der treuen Obhut Gottes und dem Worte seiner Gnade und bleibe im Herrn

Dein Dich liebender Vater,
Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Go To Top