The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 134.550 Kilian to Tirmenstein [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 1 Apr 1875
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 10:23 PM
134.550 Kilian to Tirmenstein [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 1 Apr 1875

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas, 1 April 1875

Dear Fellow Pastor!

This will acknowledge receiving the receipt in your letter of March 13, 1875. However, your correspondence seemed somewhat surprising. I must have misunderstood the correspondence of Secretary Nagel. I took it as a reminder because the letter certainly was a reminder. That is also how my congregation interpreted it.

On December 6, the second Sunday in Advent, a congregational assembly took place here in which the Secretary’s letter was read. In relation to this point the minutes read as follows: “Finally, an official communication from New Orleans was shared in which the question was asked how Pastor Kilian’s congregation thought they would raise the money for their (New Orleans) delegate to the Delegate Synod to be held in Fort Wayne. The vote was for a free-will offering.”

As a result I requested from both my congregations, the Wendish and the German, on Reminiscere Sunday, February 21st, that on the next Sunday an offering be brought to the altar and with the following announcement: “Now I would like to extend a request to the congregation. In October of the last year the sixteenth convention of the Missouri Synod took place in Fort Wayne. From New Orleans Pastor Tirmenstein, a teacher, and a congregational delegate attended. They also represented the congregation of our Synod in Texas. Therefore we have the obligation to help carry the travel costs of the delegates to Fort Wayne and their return trip home because we belong to the Missouri Synod. For that reason, I ask your Christian love, so in 8 days from today you bring a free will offering for the designated purpose. God will bless you for it.”

Upon this notice $22.55 in silver was contributed on Oculi Sunday. I exchanged this silver for $24 currency and sent it to you because I did not know the precise address of the secretary. And you provided me with the desired receipt. With that everything was in order and settled. Since you probably wish to communicate further with me, you have reversed the matter to such an extent that I must answer you. I see in your letters considerable tact, which amuses me. Therefore you should also receive an answer “that has neither horns nor teeth.”

That the congregations, from which the delegates were elected, should carry the travel costs alone, I consider most unfair and unjust. This opinion can never be the rule in an excellent Christian Synod. The rule must be in force that all congregations carry the travel costs of the delegates from those they represent. But how? That is the question. Should an assessment or a tax be imposed on each congregation? That is difficult and conflicts with the free will of the Christian congregation which should take precedence. I believe that where the power of the Holy Spirit reigns only a reminder from your secretary should move a congregation to immediately fulfill its obligation. How much a congregation should contribute should be placed upon the judgment and conscience of the congregation. A congregation that needs more of a fuss than a reminder as your secretary’s was, should be left alone until either God or the devil gets it.

With that I remain in the Lord with greetings from my wife and children. The money, that I will send you should be divided among the Fort Wayne delegates and not ask me again.

Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas, am 1sten April 1875
Rev. M. Tirmenstein, New Orleans, La.

Hochehrwürdiger Herr Amtsbruder!

Ihre Empfangsbescheinigung vom 13ten Mærz 1875 habe ich richtig erhalten. Ihr Schreiben erscheint mir aber etwas wunderbar. Ich soll das Schreiben des Herrn Secretärs Nagel mißverstanden haben. Ich habe es eine Erinnerung genannt denn eine Erinnerung war der Brief gewiß. So hat ihn auch meine Gemeinde aufgefaßt.

Am 6 December II Advent fand eine Gemeindeversammlung hier Statt, in welcher ich den Brief des Secretärs vorlas. Das Protokoll lautet in Beziehung auf diesen Punkt also: "Zuletzt wurde eine Zuschrift aus New Orleans mitgetheilt, in welcher angefragt wird, wie die Gemeinde des Pastor Kilian es mit dem Aufbringen der Reisekosten ihres (New Orleans) Delegaten zur Delegaten Synode, die in Fort Wayne abgehalten wurde, zu halten gedenkt. Die Stimmung ist für ein freies Opfer."

Dem gemäß erbat ich mir von meinen beiden Gemeinden, der Wendischen und der Deutschen, am Sonntage Reminiscere, den 21sten Februar, für den nächsten Sonntag ein auf den Altar darzubringendes Opfer mit folgender Abkündigung: "Nun habe ich an die Gemeinde eine Bitte zu richten. Im October vergangenen Jahres fand die sechzehnte Versammlung der Missouri Synode in Fort Wayne Statt. Da waren aus New Orleans der Pastor Tirmenstein, ein Lehrer und ein Gemeindedeputirter. Dieselben habe dort die Gemeinden unserer Synod, die in Texas sind mit vertreten. Darum haben wir die Pflicht, daß wir die Reisekosten nach Fort Wayne und wieder nach Hause für die Abgesandten tragen helfen, weil wir der Missouri Synod angehören. Derohalben bitte ich Eure christliche Liebe, heut über 8 Tage ein freiwilliges Opfer zu dem gedachten Zwecke darbringen zu wollen. Gott wird euch dafür segen."

Auf diese Abkündigung hin sind am Sonntage Oculi 22 Dollars 55 cts in Silber eingekommen. Dieses Silber habe ich in 24 Dollars Currency verwandeln lassen und an Sie abgeschickt, weil ich die Adresse des Secretärs nicht genau wußte. Und Sie haben mir die verlangte Empfangsbescheinigung zugefertigt. Somit ist Alles in Ordnung u abgethan. Weil Sie aber vermutlich weiter mit mir verkehren wollen, haben Sie die Sache so gewendet, daß ich Ihnen wieder antworten muß. Ich sehe in Ihren Briefe bloß Ihre Gewandtheit, welche mir Vergnügen macht. Darum sollen Sie auch eine Antwort bekommen, "so weder Hörner noch Zähne hat."

Daß die Gemeinden, aus welchen die Delegaten gewählt werden, die Reiseunkosten der Delegaten allein tragen sollen, das halte ich für höchst unbillig und ungerecht. Diese Meinung kann in keiner tüchtigen christlichen Synod niemals Regel werden. Die Regel muß gelten, daß alle Gemeinden die Reiseunkosten der Delegaten, von denen sie vertreten werden zu tragen haben. Aber wie? Das ist die Frage. Soll auf jede Gemeinde eine Anlage oder Steuer gelegt werden? Das ist sehr schwierig und streitet gegen die Freiwilligkeit, die in der christlichen Kirche die Oberhand behalten soll. Ich glaube, daß, wo der Heilige Geist die Herrschaft führt bloß eine Erinnerung wie die Ihres Secretärs, nöthig ist, um eine Gemeinde zur sofortigen Pflichterfüllung zu bewegen. Wie viel eine Gemeinde beizutragen hat, stelle man ins Ermessen und Gewissen jeden der Gemeinde. Eine Gemeinde die mehr Brimborium verlangt, als eine solche Erinnerung, wie die Ihres Secretärs ist, lasse man fahren, bis sie Gott oder der Teufel holt.

Damit verbleibe ich im Herrn mit Grüßen von meiner Frau u meine Kindern. Das Geld, das ich Ihnen sendte sollen doch die New Orleans Deputirten, die in Fort Wayne waren, unter sich christlich theilen und mich nicht wieder fragen.

Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

134.55.1 Kilian to Tirmenstein.60.jpg - 115kB

134.55.2 Kilian to Tirmenstein.60.jpg - 130kB

Go To Top