The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 130.250 Carl Lehmann to Bünger [CHI, Serbin Collection] 18 Aug 1874
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-14-2015 at 08:06 PM
130.250 Carl Lehmann to Bünger [CHI, Serbin Collection] 18 Aug 1874

Serbin, Lee County, August 18, 1874

Pastor Bünger, President of the Western District, St. Louis,

Honorable Pastor, as indicated in my two letters of July 5 and 6 concerning my desire to leave the German church St. Peteri and to join the church of my mother tongue, I feel moved to write to you. According to Pastor Greif’s letter to Pastor Kilian, Greif has no other objection to my release other than that I would have to prove, that I don’t plan to leave his church because of my portion of mortgage payments in the rears. On August 13 I visited with Pastor Greif, in order to find out how much I owe on my part of the debt payment. His answer was “pay up”. I asked him again, what amount I owed. His answer to me, an old childlike man, was that I should be ashamed to leave his church. He further stated that I demanded proof that I do disservice to myself to want to leave a church the language of which I don’t fully understand and to join another church of the same confession, in which teaching and preaching is done in my mother tongue. I still did not get an answer from him as to how much my financial obligation is.

The overview above reflects, Honorable Pastor, that I have lived in fear in this Lutheran church. I cannot rest day and night. The atmosphere is so offending, that I cannot find peace to be accepted into the other church. I have nothing but sleepless nights. It is for this reason, that I come to you, Honorable Pastor, to ask for your urgent help, to encourage Pastor Greif, to release me immediately, and to advise Pastor Kilian to accept me into his congregation, so that I may regain peace in my old days.

Assumed signature Carl Lehmann

[Translated by Margot Hendricks]

Serbin, Lee County, 18. August, 1874

Herrn Pastor Bünger, Präses des westlichen Districts in St. Louis,

Hochwürdiger Herr Pastor, aus meinen zwei Briefen vom 5. und 6. Juli in meinen Sachen als Grund aus der deutschen St. Peter auszuscheiden und mich der Gemeinde meiner Muttersprache anzuschliessen bin ich genötigt Ihnen zu schreiben. Da Pastor Greif laut seines Schreibens an Herrn Pastor Kilian vom 3. Juli keine andere Einwendung wegen meiner Entlassung macht, als dass ich zu beweisen hätte, dass ich nicht wegen rückständiger Zahlung die Entlassung will, war ich am 13. August bei Herrn Pastor Greif, um zu erfahren, wieviel ich nach seiner Meinung Schulden bezahlen muss. Die Antwort war „ Zahlen Sie sich aus“. Ich frage nochmals, was ich noch schuldig sein muss. Darauf hat er mir alten kindischen Mann vorgeworfen, ich müsste mich schämen, aus der Kirche auszutreten. Ich verlangte Beweisse, dass ich Unrecht tue, aus einer Kirche, deren Sprache ich nicht vollständig verstehen kann, auszutreten und mich einer anderen Kirche gleichen Bekenntnisses, in welcher in meiner Muttersprache gelehrt und gepredigt wird, anschliesse. Darauf habe ich keine Antwort erfahren können, was ich noch schuldig sein soll.

Aus vorstehender Übersicht werden Sie, Hochwürdiger Pastor, erkennen müssen, dass ich nur als Mensch in geängstigtem Zustand in der einen Lutherischen Kirche zu betrachten bin, denn ich habe Tag und Nacht keine Ruhe. Die Unruhe ist böswillig und lässt nicht ab. Dadurch kann ich im Stande der Ruhe nicht aufgenommen werde. Ich habe nichts als schlaflose Nächte. Aus diesem Grund ersuche ich Sie, Hochwürdiger Pastor, mit der dringenden Bitte, Herrn Pastor Greif zu veranlassen, mir sofort die Entlassung zu geben. Und Herrn Pastor Kilian ebenfalls zu benachrichtigen, mich in die Muttersprache Gemeinde aufzunehmen, damit ich doch auf meine alten Tage wieder zur Ruhe gelangen könnte.

Assumed Signature Carl Lehmann

[Transliterated by Margot Hendricks]

Letter 130.25.1 18 Aug 1874.50.jpg - 344kB

Letter 130.25.2 18 Aug 1874.50.jpg - 377kB

Letter 130.25.3 18 Aug 1874.50.jpg - 276kB

Go To Top