Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 124.100 Kilian to Walther [CHI, Serbin Collection] Feb 1873
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 04:32 PM
124.100 Kilian to Walther [CHI, Serbin Collection] Feb 1873

Serbin, Texas __February 1873
Rev. C. F. W. Walther, St. Louis

The Very Reverend, Dear Professor and President!

In the first week of this year I received an unexpected wide-ranging letter from one of my university friends, Rudolph Richter, with whom I shared a room during my three years at the university. He is now occupying my lovely parish in Kotitz, in the Kingdom of Saxony, that I occupied from 1837 to 1848. Pastor Richter is the first of my university friends who has initiated an extensive correspondence with me during my presence here for these 18 years.

Pastor Richter has sent me a commentary on the Revelation of St. John which he wrote with the following addition: “In the packet is enclosed an explanation of the Revelation of St. John from me. It costs 10 Sgr. at Justus Naumann in Leipzig and I hope that the conception and interpretation of this book of visions will address the anti-chiliastic and Lutheran spirit of you and the Missouri [Synod], so I ask you if you could possibly provide a distributor for this book in America.

I do not know how else to fill the request of the friend of my youth, so that I am forwarding you the book without cost because I received it without cost, and leave it all to your discretion.

So I remain in the Lord.
Sincerely, J. Kilian, P.

[GRN ]

Serbin, Texas, am _____ Februar 1873
Rev. C. F. W. Walther, St. Louis

Hochwürdiger, Geliebter Herr Professor und Präses!

In den ersten Wochen dieses Jahres erhielt ich unvermuthet ein weitläufiges Schreiben von einem meiner Universitätsfreunde Rudolph Richert, mit dem ich in Leipzig das eine meiner 3 Universitätsjahre in einer Stube zusammengewohnt habe. Derselbe sitzt jetzt auf meiner schönen Pfarre in Kotitz, Königr. Saschsen, ich von 1837 bis 1848 saß. P. Richter ist der erste meiner Universitätsfreunde, der nach 18 Jahre meines hierseins eine tiefergehende Correspondenz mit mier eröffnet hat.

Pastor Richter hat nun eine von ihm verfaßte "Auslegung der Offenbarung St. Johannis" mir zugeschickt mit folgender Begleitung: "In dem Packet liegt auch eine Erklärung der Offenbarung Johannis von mir. Sie kostet bei Justus Naumann in Leipzig 10 Sgr. da ich hoffe, daß diesen Auffassung und Deutung dieses Wunderbuches als antichiliastisch und im lutherischen Geiste Dich un die Missourischen Brüder ansprechen wird, so bitte ich Dich, wo möglich, dieser Schrift bei Euch in Amerika Absatz zu verschaffen."

Diese Bitte meines Jugendfreundes weiß ich nicht anders zu erfüllen als das ich das Buch Ihnen gratis übersende, wie ich's gratis erhielt, und Ihnen alles Weitere anheimstelle.

Damit verbleibe ich im Herrn. Ew. hochwürden Ergebener,

J. Kilian. P.

[Biar]

Letter 124.5 Feb 1873.25.jpg - 189kB

Go To Top