The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 122.000 Kilian to Pfuhl [CHI, Serbin Collection] 10 Dec 1872 Wendish
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 08:47 AM
122.000 Kilian to Pfuhl [CHI, Serbin Collection] 10 Dec 1872 Wendish

Professor Pfuhl,
Dresden, Saxony, Germany
Serbin, TX, 10 December 1872

Dear Sir!

I received your inspiring letter on 28 November. I want to respond to your letter using your spelling rules, but use the pronunciation of the Upper Lusatian specifically the pronunciation of the people in Hochkirch. Half the Wendish whom I represent, speak two dialects. In a number of areas they are different from one another, the Upper Lusatian dialect and the Lower Lusatian dialect. I call your dialect the Bautzener.

Here is an example to show the difference: *krežel – Pfluegwinkel;
In Bautzner dialect, is as described in your dictionary;
In Upper Lusatian dialect is čježel.
In Lower Lusatian dialect is šcježel.

I have already studied your dictionary very carefully. I hope I will be able to write the way you do. This time I will write with the Upper Lusatian pronunciation. In the place where I put a single ´e´, I mean a real “e”; where I put ´ě´ I mean ´jě´, but without the “j” the sound with which a word or syllable begins. The people of Hochkirch pronounce the “j” without the initial sound. In the Upper Lusatian pronunciation, adverbs end in a clean “i”, even if only written “je”. This time I will not consider “o” and “u”, but only show with the letter “e” that your spelling rules are not easy and don’t match your rules for pronunciation, though in the beginning of my study it appeared that there was harmony.

Here is an example:
I do not know if your word ´krežel´ is pronounced as spelled, or ´křježel´, or ´křěžel´. I am thinking about to write a new “model” of the language of the people and the farmers who want to write. For the letter “e” like this: ´é´ will become a clean “e”, ‘bélma, nébjo, néplěch’. Your ´ě´ will become “je” as it is in the Bible. “è” will become “e” without the “j” beginning sound of the word. Many words in the Wendish language start with “ej”. I would like to write a dictionary of roots of words (Wurzelwörterbuch) for the people and use German letters and add many proverbs and phrases, which will show, how each word is applied. Such a dictionary could be published. The spelling rules which are used at this time cannot be applied in all cases. I do not like that. It can easily happen, that that which I am thinking will be put on the back board (Nimmerleinstag?). “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps” (Proverbs 16, v. 9). I have a question: Why do you not put a “je” at the end of a word but a “e”, as it sounds like “ale” as “e” in ´njedušny´.

But now let’s turn to your letter. I am afraid you praise me too much. It is possible that you have not been around me enough to deal with me. I am pretty headstrong and peculiar. We don’t want to extend the exchange of words. I am surprised you are using the word ´zadlić´- I have never heard this word.

I enjoy reading the news about your teaching experience. I am saddened to know that your eye disease hinders your public and honorable work. As it has not been possible for the doctors to find the cause of this disease, I can give you the following advice. I am something like a homeopathic doctor. Here is my advice: Wash your eyes every morning with cold water. Take homoeopathic medicine when you feel heat in your eyes. The homoeopathic doctor should prescribe Aconitum. If with that medication you cannot see clearly, then the doctor should prescribe Ruta. Totally new and delightful is for me to read, that the Lusatian pastors are supporting the Wendish spiritual leaders and students, who are preparing for their pastoral duties at the alma mater Lipsiensis. But all good has to overcome temptations and hurdles just like in this situation. I am happy for you, to know that you will be leading the Wendish students of Leipzig. The Lord may strengthen you and your work which you will tackle with your students. May the Lord keep you and bless you forever.

I enjoyed reading about your family history. Pastor Jakob ordained me in Kotitz on Sept 24, 1837 by recommendation of the ministry. I worked with him a lot. Best wishes to your wife, Pastor Jakob’s daughter. One thing does surprise me, that the oldest daughter of Pastor Jakob and wife of Pastor Wanak, whom I knew very well, are not mentioned. Did she die? How is she doing? I remember her sister well, but her husband, Pastor Imisch, it appears has forgotten me. He has not written to me in 18 years. Please give my regards to Imish and Wanak. That way they will know I am still alive.

Now I will delve into your dictionary, dear Professor. I do not desire to receive any more praise from you. I will be in disfavor with you, as I will share with you what I do not approve of in your dictionary. My strongest criticism is turned towards the fact that you paid too much attention to adjectives and too little to the verbs. You left out a lot of composite verbs. There are several words which are used often by the people but are represented with few examples. You can easily overlook them among the many unfamiliar and new words. Here is an example: the word ´zhubić´is explained on half a line; ‘so zhubić´ disappears, two others you look for in vain. ´Stanyć´ is not listed where one looks for it but finds it under ‘stać´; and who looks for´stanyć´ has not been guided to ‘stać´. The etymology “h” and “w” and other letters will lead untrained eyes into difficulty, something that happened to me at first. Where would the untrained eye search for the word ´róbl´, if not under the letter “R”? When I found the word I took my pencil and put in front of the letter “R” in front of the word ´włosy´,´róbl´and ´Wróbl´. I did the same with word ´wrěcenc´, ´wrěcenca´ , ´wěc´, and the words ´hrana´, ´hrono´, hłuboki´ etc. Finally I found that c, k, p, t are changed by putting the letter z into s if it is in front of the word; for example “hart” becomes ‘sčinić’, ‘skazać’, ‘spytać’, ‘střasć’. Why did ‘z’ not remain ‘z’? If it is the case that a hard letter has a soft letter in front of it, the soft letter is changed into a hard letter, then our forefathers had more of a right than we when they wrote ‘słótki´, ´swětk´, ‘hłatki´ (and not as we do today ´słódki´, ´swědk´, ´hładki´). I would also like to note that a Dehlener is not a “Delan” but as you say in Lower Lausitz (Niederland) is called a ´Delenčan´- ´Delenčenjo´.

(The following paragraph is crossed out by J Kilian.) Dear Sir, now I would like to report to you, how I go about adding my words which were saved in my collection, and those which have been passed on to me provided I cannot find them in your dictionary. I pencil in each word, for example, each at its place. When somebody takes my copy of your dictionary, he would have all additions at the correct place. If the dictionary which I plan to write and mentioned at the beginning of this letter, will not become reality, then you could be given my copy of your dictionary with my notations. But now I would like to take three more pages of paper and give you examples, so that you may see how I plan to set up my dictionary. I would like to mail those three drafted pages to Mr. Schmaler, to you, and to Pastor Seiler. After you have studied the draft, please write to me and tell me if my work is good or not. My name should not be mentioned, if my work would be printed for the people.
(End of crossed out paragraph)

I am closing my disorganized letter. The Lord be with you and be assured, that despite my criticism I will remain yours affectionately

Jan Kilian, Pastor
Serbin, Texas

[Translated by Margot Hendricks]

[* Grendel is a share beam; and a share beam is part of the plough; the share beam is the iron, the part that goes in the soil; according to the type of soil, the share beam was shaped differently.]

Serbin, Texas, am 10. Dezember 1872
An Herrn Professor, Dr. Pfuhl in Dresden

Sehr geehrter lieber Herr!

Ihren so wunderbar inspirierenden Brief erhielt ich am 28. November dieses Jahres. Ich möchte versuchen, ihnen in ihrer Rechtschreibung zu antworten und möchte im ersten Teil selbige aber mit der Aussprache des Oberlandes/Berglandes verbinden, speziell mit der Hochkircher Aussprache. Die Hälfte der Sorben, die ich vertrete, umfaßt 2 Dialekte, wobei sie sich in einigen Bereichen unterscheiden, in den ´Oberländer´ und den ´Niederländer´. Ihren Dialekt benenne ich als den ´Bautzener´.

Ein Beispiel für den Unterschied: krežel - Pfluegwinkel; im Bautzener Dialekt, wie in ihrem Wörterbuch aufgeführt; čježel - Oberländer und šcježel - Niederländer Dialekt. Ihr Wörterbuch habe ich schon intensiv durchgearbeitet, so daß ich hoffe, daß ich bald werde schreiben können wie sie. Diesmal aber zeige ich ihnen nur die Oberländer Aussprache. Wo ich ein einzelnes ´e´ setze, meine ich ein richtiges ´e´, wo ich ´ě´ setze, meine ich ´jě´, aber ohne j- Anlaut. ´Wubernje´ sprechen die Hochkircher gänzlich ohne j-Anlaut und bei allen Nebenwörtern (Adverbien) findet man in der Oberländer Aussprache am Ende immer ein reines ´i´, wenn auch nur ´je´ geschrieben. ´o´ und ´u´ werde ich diesmal nicht betrachten, sondern nur am Buchstaben ´e´ zeigen, daß ihre Rechtschreibung doch nicht ganz einfach ist und nicht recht an die Aussprache angepaßt ist, wie es anfangs scheint. Beispiel: Ob ihr angeführtes Wort ´krežel´ genau wie geschrieben ausgesprochen wird, oder ´křježel´ oder ´křěžel´ zu sprechen ist, weiß ich nicht. Ich trage mich aber mit dem Gedanken, eine neues Modell der Volks- und bäuerlichen Sprache für die zu erarbeiten, die schreiben wollen. Für den Buchstaben ´e´ etwa so: ´é´ wird zum reinen ´e´, bélma, nébjo, néplěch; Ihr ´ě´ wird zu ´je´ wie in der Bibel und ´é´ wird zu ´e´ ohne j-Anlaut. …………… weil es im Sorbischen sehr viele Wörter mit ´ej´ gibt.

Ich hätte Lust, ein ´Wurzelwörterbuch´ für das Volk zu schreiben - mit deutschen Buchstaben, mit vielen Sprichwörtern und Redewendungen, die zeigen sollen, wie jedes Wort angewendet wird. Solch ein Wörterbuch könnte … herausgegeben werden. Aber keine Art der jetzt genutzten Rechtschreibung ist für alles verwendbar. Das stört mich. So kann es leicht passieren, daß ich das, was ich mir ausdenke, auf den St. Nimmerleinstag verschiebe. ´Des Menschen Herz denkt sich einen Weg aus, der Herr selber aber führt seinen Lauf´. Sprichwort Sal. 16, 9. Frage: Warum setzen sie an das Ende des Wortes kein ´je´, aber ´e´, da es wie in ´ale´ ebendiesen ´klink´ hat, wie ´e´ in´njedušny´.

Nun aber zur Sache, d.h., zu ihrem Brief. Ich befürchte sie loben mich über Gebühr. Möglicherweise haben sie noch nicht genug mit mir ausgestanden, wenn sie sich mit anlegen. Denn ich bin ziemlich eigensinnig und eigenartig. Doch wir wollen den Disput hier nicht weiter verlängern, wie sie (´zadlić´) zu meiner Verwunderung schreiben - dieses Wort habe ich noch nie gehört.

Sehr lieb sind mir ihre Nachrichten aus ihrem Lehrerleben. Eines aber betrübt mich, nämlich, daß ihr Augenleiden ihre öffentliche ehrenvolle Arbeit behindert. Da die Ärzte leider nicht den Grund für ihr Leiden erkennen, ich aber so etwas wie ein Homöopath bin, rate ich ihnen: Waschen sie ihre Augen allmorgentlich mit kaltem Wasser und nehmen sie dann und wann homöopathische Arzenei; wenn sie Hitze in ihren Augen fühlen, sollte ihnen ein Homöopath ´Aconitum´ verschreiben, und wenn sie verschwommen sehen, möge er ihnen ´Ruta´ verschreiben. Völlig neu und erfreulich ist für mich, was sie über die Lausitzer Geistlichen schreiben, wie gut sie sich um die sorbischen Gelehrten und Lernenden kümmern, die an der Alma Mater Lipsiensis auf ihr Priesteramt vorbereitet werden. Aber alles Gute muß auch Versuchungen und Hindernisse überwinden, ebenso in dieser Sache. Umso mehr freue ich mich nun mit ihnen, daß man sie zum Leiter der sorbischen Studenten in Leipzig berufen hat. Der Herr möge sie und ihre Arbeit bestärken, die sie mit den Studenten leisten werden, und für immer und ewig segnen.

Mir gefällt auch, daß sie mir ihre Familie vorstellen. Der Pfarrer Jakub hat mich in Kotitz auf Empfehlung der Obrigkeit am 24. September 1837 ordiniert und ich hatte viel mit ihm zu tun. Somit sage ich ihrer Gattin, seiner Tochter, alles Gute, so wie sie auch mich in ihrem Brief grüßen ließ. Eines aber verwundert mich - daß die älteste Tochter Jakubs und Gattin der Pfarrers Wanak, die ich gut kannte, nicht erwähnt wird. Ist sie verstorben? Oder was ist mit ihr? An ihre Schwester erinnere ich mich gut, aber ihr Gatte, Pfarrer Imisch hat mich, wie es scheint, wohl vergessen, da er mir in den letzten 18 Jahren nicht einmal geschrieben hat. Deshalb grüßen sie Imisch und seine Gattin und Wanak und Gattin bitte von mir. So erfahren sie wenigstens, daß ich noch auf der Welt bin.

Nun stürze ich mich aber auf ihr Wörterbuch, lieber Herr. Ich möchte nicht weiter von ihnen gelobt werden. Deshalb will ich bei ihnen in´s Fettnäpfchen treten und ihnen sagen, was ich an ihrem Wörterbuch auszusetzen habe. Meine stärkste Kritik richtet sich darauf, daß sie Adjektive zu gut, Verben aber zu kurz betrachten, da sie eine Menge Komposita ausgelassen haben. Es finden sich auch mehrere Wörter, die man im Volk häufig überall hört, die mit wenig Beispielen belegt sind, so daß man sie unter den vielen unbekannten und neuen Wörtern übersehen kann. Beispiel: ´zhubić´ wird mit einer halben Zeile abgetan, ´so zhubić´ - verschwinden, zwei …… sucht man vergeblich. ´Stanyć´ steht nicht da, wo man es sucht, sondern unter ´stać ´; und wer ´stanyć ´ sucht, wird nicht auf ´stać ´ verwiesen. Und das etymogische ´h´ und ´w´ und andere bringen ungeübte Leute in Schwierigkeiten, so wie anfangs auch mich. Wo wird wohl ein Ungeübter das Wort ´róbl´ suchen, wenn nicht unter dem Buchstaben ´R´ ? Als ich nach langer Suche das Wort fand, nahm ich meinen Bleistift und setzte im Buchstaben ´R´ vor dem Wort ´włosy´ ´róbl´ z. ´Wróbl´. Ebeno tat ich es mit ´wrěcenc´, ´wrěcenca´ , ´wěc´ und den Wörtern ´hrana´, ´hrono´, hłuboki´ usw. Schließlich fand ich , daß c, k,p, t durch voranstehendes ´z´ in ´s´ umgewandelt wird, also ´hart´ wird (sčinić, skazać, spytać, střasć;). Warum blieb ´z´ nicht ´z´? Gilt aber, daß durch einen harten Buchstaben ein vornan stehender weicher Buchstabe in einen harten umgewandelt wird, dann hatten unsere Altvorderen wohl mehr Recht, als wir, als sie ´słótki´, ´swětk´, ´hłatki´ schrieben ( und nicht wie wir heute: ´słódki´, ´swědk´, ´hładki´. Anmerken möchte ich auch, daß ´ein dehlener´ nicht ´Delan´ heißt, sondern wie man im Niederland sagte ´Delenčan´- ´Delenčenjo´.

Crossed: Nun möchte ich ihnen, lieber Herr, berichten, wie ich meine Wörter, welche in meinen Sammlungen waren und solche, die mir zugetragen werden, hinzufüge, wenn ich sie in ihrem Wörterbuch nicht finde. Ich füge solche Wörter mit Bleistift, jedes an seinem Platz, ein. Und wenn jemand mein Exemplar ihres Wörterbuches in die Hände bekommt, hätte er alle Zusätze am richtigen Platz. Falls aus meinem oben erwähnten ´Wörterbuch´, welches ich zu schreiben beabsichtige, nichts werden sollte, dann könnten sie mein verschmiertes Exemplar ihres Wörterbuches erhalten. Jetzt aber möchte ich noch 3 Seiten/Bögen zur Probe aufschreiben, damit sie sehen können, wie ich mein Wörterbuch schreiben möchte. Diese 3 Entwürfe möchte ich Herrn Schmaler, an sie und an Pfarrer Seiler schicken. Und wenn sie die Entwürfe durchgearbeitet haben werden, schreiben sie mir bitte, ob meine Arbeit zu etwas taugt oder nicht. Mein Name sollte aber nicht erwähnt werden, wenn meine Arbeit auch unter das Volk kommen müßte. Damit sei dieser Brief …. Crossed paragraph ends here.

Ich schließe nun meinen ungeordneten Brief. Bleiben sie Gott befohlen und seien sie dessen gewiß, obwohl ich sie kritisierte, daß ich verbleibe in herzlicher Verbundenheit ihr

Jan Kilian, Pfarrer
Serbin, Texas

[Translated by Martin Strauch]

Serbin, Texas, 10. decembera 1872
Na knjeza Prof. dr. B. Pfuhla w Drježdźanach

Wysoko česćeny, lubowany knježe!

Waš wuběrnje zbudźowacy list wot 6. nowembera t. l. dóstach 28. nowembera. Ja chcu spytać, wam po wašej rucy wotmołwić a chcu w prěnim kruchu lista waš prawopis na horanske wurjekowanje nałožić, ale po horanskim (Bukečanskim) wuprajenju. Ta połojca Serbow, kotruž ja zastupuju, wopřimnje 2 dialektaj, we wšelakich štukach rozdźělenaj, Horanski a Holanski. Waš dialekt mjenuju Budyšinski. Přikład rozdźěla krežel. - den Pfluegwinkel; Budyšinscy, kaž we wašim słowniku steji, čježel Horanscy a šcježel Holanscy. Waš słownik sym hižo chětro přebrózdźił, tuž je na mni nadźija, zo budu skoro pisać móc, kaž wy, ale tónkróč wam jenož Horanske wurjekowanje pokažuju. Hdźež ´e´ same staju, tam je čiste ´e´, hdyźež ´ě´ staju, tam ´jě´ a bjez ´j´ klinka. ´Wubernje´ Bukšenjo čisće bjez ´j´ klinka wupraja a we wšitkich pódlanskich słowčkach (adwerbijach) ma Horanske wurjekowanje na kóncu přeco čiste ´i´, hdyž jě tež runje ´je´ pisane. ´o´ a ´u´ hišće tón króč nochcu módlować, ale wam jenož na pismiku ´e´ pozać, zo waš prawopis tola tak lóžki a k wurjeknjenju přiměrjeny njeje, kaž so na prěni pohlad zda. Přikład: Hač so waše horjeka spomnjene słowo ´křežel´ čisće, kaž je pisane, abo ´křježel´ abo ´křěžel´ wurjec ma, to ja njewěm. Ale ja mam mysle, nowu módlu ludźaceho burskeho hrona za pisarjow wudźěłać, pismik ´e´ něhdźe takle: ´é´ budźe čiste ´e´ (bélma, nébjo, néplěch), waše ´ě´ budźe ´je´, kaž jo w bibliji mamy, ´è´ budźe ´e´ bjez ´j´ klinka ( …) …, dokelž je tajkich ejow najwjacy w serbskej ryči. Mje by loštowało, korušny słownik za lud pisać z němskimi pismikami, z wjele přisłowami a zaprajenjemi, kiž budu pokazować, kak so kóžde słowo nałožuje. Tajki słownik by so … wudać hodźał. Ale žadyn nětko wužiwany prawopis mi njeje na wšo składny. To mje moli. Tuž móže so lochce podać, zo wuwjedźenje swojeho zamyslenja naposledku na swjatu čerlicu wotstorču. “Čłowjeka wutroba wumysli sebi puć, ale tón Knjez sam wjedźe jeho chód”. Přisł. Sal. 16, 9. Prašenje: čehodla na kóncu słowa je njestajeće, tola ´e´ na kóncu, kaž w ´ale´ tón samy klink ma, kaž e w `njedušny´ ………. Nětko pak k wěcy, to je, k wašemu listej. Ja so boju, zo sej mje přechwaliće. Móžno je,… hišće dosć nuzy ze mnu spytać dyrbiće, jeli so hłóbje ze mnu wobozyće. Přetož ja sym jara wumysleny a dźiwny. Tuž so nochcemoj při … ´zadlić´, kaž wy k mojemu spodźiwanju pisaće, ja to słowo ženje słyšał njejsym.

Lube su mi te powěsće z wašeho wučerskeho žiwjenja, ale to mje zrudźi, zo waše wočowe ćerpjenje wašu zjawnu sławnu dźěławosć je zatorhnyło. Dokelž pak lěkarjo na dno wašeho ćerpjenja dopohladać njemóža a ja někajki kruch homöopathneho lěkarja sym, da wam radźu: Wumyjće sebi kóžde ranje swojej woči ze zymnej wodu a wzmiće hdys a hdys homöopathne lěkarstwo, hdyž hěcu we wočomaj čujeće, njech wam homöopathny lěkar ´Aconitum´ da, a hdyž błuko widźiće, njech wam da ´Ruta´. Cyle nowe a zwjeselace je mi to, štož wot Łužiskich prědarjow pisaće, kak rjenje so za serbskich wučenych a wučomnych młodźencow staraja, kotrychž alma mater Lipsiensis k hamtskej słužbje dohotuje. Kaž pak wšitko dobre přez spytowanje a přećiwnosće so přećišćeć dyrbi, tak je tež w telej wěcy so šlo. Čim bóle so nětko z wami raduju, zo za nawjedowarja serbskich studentow do Lipska połowani sće. Bóh tón Knjez chcył was posylnić a waše dźěło, kotrež na tych młodźencach činić budźeće. Za čas a wěčnosć požohnować.

Mi so tež derje spodoba, zo mi swoju swójbu mjenujeće. Knjez duchowny Jakub je mi w Kotecach na poručenosć wyšnosće 24. septembera 1837 duchownsku swjećiznu dał a ja sym wjele z nim činić měł. Tuž wašej knjeni mandźelskej, jeho dźowcy, wutrobnje wjele dobreho praju, kaž wona mje we wašim lisće luboznje postrowiła je. Ale na tym so dźiwam, zo Jakubowa najstarša dźowka, duchowneho Wanaka mandźelska, kotruž derje znajach, njeje spomnjena. Je wumrěła? Abo kak to je? Na wašu sotru so derje dopomnju, ale jeje mandźelski, knjez duchowny Imiš mje, kaž so zda, wjele wjacy zańć nima, dokelž mi za 18 lět njeje jónu pisał. Tohodla prajće při składnosći wjele dobreho wot mje Imišej a jeho mandźelskej, kaž Wanakej a jeho mandźelskej. Dha tola widźa, zo sym hišće na swěće.

Na to so do wašeho słownika walu, luby knježe. Ja nochcu dale wot was chwaleny być. Tohodla chcu wam do šklitki stupić a wam powědać, što na wašim słowniku wustajeć mam. Mój najwyši porok je tón, zo sće wopisowace słowa (adjektiwa) přez měru derje a časyskesłowa (werba) přez měru mało wobhladali, dokelž jara wjele dobrych kompositow wuwostajenych je. Tež je někotrych słowow, kiž wšudźom a stajnje w ludźe słyšiš, mało přikładnych wuprajenjow stajenych, tak zo bjez tej kopicu njeznatych abo nowych słowow dosć do wočow njepadaja. Přikład: zhubić je z połdra rynčkom wotčinjene, so zhubić - verschwinden , dwaj …… podarmo pytaš. Stanyć njeje tam, hdyźež so pyta, ale za słowom ´stać´ , a štóž stanyć pyta, njeje na ´stać´ pokazany. A te etymogiske ´h´ a ´w´a druhe čini njezhonjenym ludźom, kaž ja zwotprědka běch, wulku nuzu. Hdźe da budźe njewučeny róbla pytać, hač w pismiku R? Hdyž ja po wulkim pytanju ´róbla´ namakach, wzach swój pisarski wołojk (Bleistift) a připisach w ´erru´ do ´włosy´słownika ´róbl´ z. ´wróbl´. Tak ja činjach ze słowami ´wrěcenc´, ´wrěcenca´, (prepositio) ´z´ . Naposledku namakach, zo c, k, p, t prjedystejace ´z´ do ´s´ přewobroći, potajkim stwjerdźi. (sčinić, skazać, spytać, střasć;). Čehodla njeje ´z´ wostało, kajkež je? Płaći-li pak to prawidło, zo přez twjerdy pismik prjedystejacy mjechki so do twjerdeho přewobroći, dha su naši stari bóle prawo měli, hač my nowi, hdyž su ´słótki, swětk, łatki´ pisali (a nic kaž my nětk pisamy: ´słodki, swědk, hładki´.

Spomnić tež chcu, zo´ein dehlener´ njerěka ´Delan´, ale ´w Delanach´ a wokoło prajachu ´Delenčan´ - Delenčenjo´.
Crossed: Nětko chcu wam powědać, luby knježe, kak ja swoje słowa, kiž w mojich zběrkach běchu, a kiž mi připaduja, dodawam, hdyž je w słowniku njenamakam. Ja tajke słowa z pisarskimwołojkom kóžde w swojim blaku připisuju a štóž by mój eksemplar wašeho słownika do rukow dóstał, by měł moje přidawki wšě na prawych městnach. Jeli-zo z mojeho w prědku lista ´… słownika´, kotryž pisać mysli mam, ničo njebudźe, da móžeće potom mój zamazany eksemplar wašeho słownika dóstać. Ale nětko chcu něhdźe tři listna na pruhu napisać, zo widźiće, kak ja swój wumysleny słownik pisać chcu. Tutón zešiwk 3 lisćow chcu knj. Smolerjej za was a duchowneho Zejlerja připósłać. A hdyž budźeće tón zešiwk přewóchlowty měć, mi pisać, hač by tajke moje dźěło k čemu było abo nic. Ale moje mjeno njedyrbi spomnjene być, hdy by tež moje dźěło do luda přinć móhło a dyrbjało.
Z tym njech je tutón list … (end crossed)

Ja wobzamknu nětko swój šešeraty list. Budźće Bohu poručeni a mejće za wěste, hačrunjež was tež swarił sym, tola we wutrobnej lubosći wostanu

Waš dowěrny Jan Kilian, d.

[Transliterated by Martin Strauch]

Letter 122.1 10 Dec 1872.25.jpg - 231kB Letter 122.2 10 Dec 1872.25.jpg - 245kB Letter 122.3 10 Dec 1872.25.jpg - 241kB Letter 122.4 10 Dec 1872.25.jpg - 219kB

Go To Top