Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 115.100 Bünger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 21 Feb 1872
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 03:55 PM
115.100 Bünger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 21 Feb 1872

Rev. J. Kilian, Serbin, Bastrop County, Texas

Dearly Beloved Brother in the Ministry,

Grace and peace! I have received your instructions, and in part, you should have received the receipts that have been sent. The _______ in Houston have already sent me your order in the amount of $89.25 in currency. I probably would not receive more ______ since money is now scarce. Since you explicitly reminded me that the $38.00 for Chicago should be in gold, so I have applied the additional sum for this, which should in all cases be according your wishes. I have designated the surplus for our orphanage, since we have gone in debt by our construction work. That should also be satisfactory for you.

The calculation is as follows:
I. Income $89.25
II. Expenditures For Chicago $42.30
To Agent Mr. Barthel-$3.90
To Mr. L. Lange-$27.00
Surplus-$6.05
Totals-$89.25

The receipts of the money for Chicago and the orphanage should in time appear in the “Lutheraner.” I am sorry to hear, that you do not want to undertake the installation of a Pastor, when the installed one will not give a sermon right away at the same time. The practice has now developed in our Synod, that, on the day of ordination or installation or induction, the ordained or inducted one does not preach. And since it may be difficult to understand this, one could at least try, when you perform an ordination or induction, that the ordained one would give a sermon. On the day of my ordination, I preached a sermon according to the old Saxon custom. But later on, now one has to apologize about such a custom, as you recall from the former practice of the Synod. And so it has come to this that the ordained one himself does not preach. At conferences and Synodical meetings, when all the gathered are preachers, this is not a problem. Since we still had the authority at the ________ d. f., to invite you to the 25th Anniversary celebration of the Synod, and asked you to have a sermon in my church. Please, write to me before you come, whether you can preach on April 28 d.f., on the Gospel for the day, the Sunday Dom. Cantata.

Your 14 year-old son, you should send to the Prep School in Fort Wayne. But if you are concerned about the fever that often occurs in Fort Wayne, you could send him to Watertown, Wisconsin. There we have two instructors from our Synod, namely, Professors Stellhorn and Boehm. The other professors are also very competent people. The costs are about the same for both institutions, $100.00 annually in currency. All in all,

With sincere greetings,
Yours, J. F. Buenger

St .Louis, February 21, 1871

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

Rev. J. Kilian, Serbin, Bastrop Co. Texas

Ehrwürdiger geliebter Amtsbruder,

Gnade un Fried. Ihren Auftragen bin ich noch gekommen, mir Sie zum Theil schon aus den zugesandten Quittungen wieder ersehen haben. Das _____in Houston hat mir seine Anweisung auf $89.25 zu Courant gleich zugesandt. Ich wurde erst auch nicht mehr ____ erhalten haben, da das Geld jetzt sehr widrig steht. Da Sie mir ausdrücklig bemerken, das die 38 Dollars für Chicago in Gold gegeben sind; so habe ich den Mehrbetrag zugelegt, was jedenfals nach Ihren seiner Wunsch ist. Den Überschuss habe iche ferner bestimmt, da wir durch Bauen in Schulden gerathen sind. Das wird Inen doch auch recht sein.

Die Rechnung is nun folgende:
I Einnahmen in Courant-$89.25
II Ausgabe Für Chicago-$42.30
An Herrn Agent Barthel-$13.90
An Herrn L. Lange-$27.00
Überschuss-$6.05
Totals-$89.25

Die Quittungen über die Gelder für Chicago und das Waisenhaus würden seiner Zeit im Lutheraner folgen. Es thut mir Leid, das Sie keine Einführungen von Prediger mehr übernehmen wollen, wenn nicht der Einführunger nicht zugleich eine Predigt hälte. Es ist nun einmal so Sitte geworden in unserer Synode, das am Tage der Ordienation oder Einführung der Ordienander oder Introducender nicht predigt. Und man wird sich sehenden dazu verstehen, doch kann es versucht werden das wenigsten, wenn sie ordinieren oder introducten, auch von dem indorrierten Preidger die Predigt mache. Ich habe auf ein Tage meiner Ordination gepredigt nach alter Sachtische Sitte; aber später hat man sich darüber beschämt, widern eine _______dessen, wenn so predigte noch genug der einichtigen Synode, lang nach denken könnte. Und da wir an das ____ d.f. Gewaltiges noch haben und Sie zum 25 jährigen Bibelfest der Synode eingeladen und gebeten haben eine Predigt in meiner Kirche zu halten. Bitte, schreiben Sie mir aber vorher, ob Sie Dom. Cantata, den 28ten April d.f. über den Sonntags evangelium predigen wollen. Ihren 14 jährigen Sohn sollten Sie auf unser Gymnasium in Fort Wayne schicken, oder wenn Sie Sorge haben, weil Fort Wayne oft von Feiber hineingesucht wird, sollten Sie Ihn nach Watertown, Wisc. senden. Dort sind auch 2 Lehrer aus unsern Synode, die Professoren Stellhorn und Brohm sein. Auch die andern Professoren sind tüchtige Leute. Die Kosten weren gleich sein in beiden Anstallten, jährich an $100 von Courant: Alles in allen.

Mit herzlichen Grus,
Ihr, J. F. Buenger

St. Louis am 21 Febr. 1872

[Transliterated by Ed Bernthal]

Letter 115.1.1 21 Feb 1872.50.jpg - 322kB

Letter 115.1.2 21 Feb 1872.50.jpg - 322kB

Letter 115.1.3 21 Feb 1872.50.jpg - 307kB

Letter 115.1.4 21 Feb 1872.50.jpg - 344kB

Go To Top