Author: Subject: 110.710 Kilian to Brohm [CHI, Serbin Collection] 25 Apr 1870
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 12:09 PM
110.710 Kilian to Brohm [CHI, Serbin Collection] 25 Apr 1870

Serbin, Texas, April 25, 1870

Rev. Theodore Brohm, New Orleans, La.

Most Worthy Pastor!

You are receiving herewith a postscript to my letter of April 21 of this year. I had forgotten to answer that part of your letter, in which you wanted to know which days I would consider to be suitable for your upcoming visitation to our congregation.

I would indicate to you, that any time would be suitable, if you would let me know shortly before the Sunday or Festival Day you would be coming, so that on that Sunday I could announce it to the congregation, to have a meeting in that week. It is difficult in this wide-spread settlement to bring the people together except through a Sunday announcement. On the Sunday that I would announce, you could first hear Wendish and German preaching, and, at the same time, hear both organists, Leubner and Teinert, play and sing. You could also have the congregation present on any other Sunday or Festival Day, which I could arrange. If you would prefer to preach during the week, you would have a churchful of people, if I could announce on the Sunday before that you would preach. A meeting of the men, if it could be after a worship service, you could have as often as you would like.

I don’t know, whether this letter will reach you before you leave New Orleans on your trip. But, I write to you on the chance that it will. On our part, it so happens that everything is by chance, if we do not have any other definite instructions from you.

Looking forward to seeing you soon in our unknown, and yet known, Serbin, I remain in the Lord, your highly respectful, devoted,
Johann Kilian, Pastor

[Ed Bernthal]

Serbin, Texas am 25sten April 1870

Rev. Th. Brohm, New Orleans, La.

Hochwürdicher Herr Pastor!

Sie erhalten hiermit einen Nachtrag zu meinem Schreiben vom 21sten April d.j. Ich habe vergessen die Stelle Ihres Briefes zu beantworten nach den Sie erfahren wollen welche Tage ich für die passenden halte für die in meiner Gemeinde anzunehmende Visitation.

Ich zeige Ihnen an das ich jeder Zeit für passend hallte wenn Sie nur kurz vor einen Sonn oder Festtag ankommen damit ich am Sonntag abkündigen kann wann sich die Gemeinde in der Woche versammeln soll. Es is schwirig in diesem weitlaufigen Settlement die Leute anders zusammen zubringen als durch Sonntagliche Abkündigung. Wenn ich den Sonntag zu Abkündigung habe so können Sie zunächst auch hören Wendisch und Deutsche predigen zugleich die beiden Organisten Leubner und Teinert spielen und singen. Die Gemeinde können Sie auch auf jederWochtag haben wenn ich sie auf einen andrigen Sonntag oder Festtag bestellen kann. Wollen Sie irgend eines Tages in the Woche predigen so sollen Sie die Kirche voll haben wenn ich Sonntags vor der Predigt weise das Sie predigen werden. Aber Mänerversammlungen falls Gottesdienstes sind da kaum sollen sie auch haben so viel Sie deren haben wollen.

Ich weis nicht ob dieser Brief Ihnen vor der Abreise von New Orleans zukommen wird. Aber ich schreibe ihn aufs Gerathenwohl. Es geschieht zu unserseits alles auf Gerathvolle so Irren nicht bestimmte Befahl von oben verhanden sind.

Mit dem verlangen Sie bald in der unbekannten und doch bekannten Serbin zu sehen verbleibe ich im Herrn Ihr Hochehrewürden Ergebener,

Johann Kilian, P.

[Ed Bernthal]

Letter 110.71.1 25 Apr 1870.25.jpg - 247kB

Letter 110.71.2 25 Apr 1870.25.jpg - 193kB

Go To Top