Author: Subject: 106.856 Braun to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 25 May 1869
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 05:12 PM
106.856 Braun to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 25 May 1869

Houston, May 25, 1869
Rev. John Kilian, Serbin, TX

Honorable Brother!

I confirm, that I have received your letter and that I have received in Gold 239.25 after deduction of express charges by Leisewitz this morning.

[The following two paragraphs were crossed out in the original.]
In reference to how to play the pedals of the organ, I advise that if you can play the upper manual (keys) with ease, press the pedal in one hour. You press it with the left foot, one plays with the fingers, as if the pedal did not exist. If the pedal remains untouched, or if only used here and there, the congregation will not notice it, and you have not committed a crime.

“Practice makes perfect.” Within one week you will play the pedal well, if you practice regularly. The same would be true of Mr. Leubner.

My wife sends her regards to you and your spouse,

Yours Sincerely C. Braun

[Kilian's note at the bottom of the letter the day before the congregation meets.]
It is my opinion, that any negotiation concerning the new organ, which has arrived, should not be brought before the congregation. The group of people who committed themselves to raise the money for payment, should be the ones to decide all questions concerning the organ.

February 5, 1870, Johann Kilian, Pastor

[Translated by Margot Hendricks]

Houston, 25 Mai, 1869
Rev. John Kilian, Serbin, TX

Ehrenwürdiger Herr Amtsbruder!

Mache ergebenst Anzeige, dass ich im Besitz Ihres Schreibens bin und diesen Morgen Geld in Gold 239.25/100 ankam nach Abzug der Expresskosten durch Leisewitz.

[The following two paragraphs were crossed out in the original.]
In Anbetracht des Pedal Spieles mache ich Ihnen bekannt, wenn Sie die Tasten mit Fertigkeit auf dem oberen Manual spielen können, treten Sie in einer Stunde auf das Pedal. Man tritt die unterste Fussnote mit dem linken Fuss, spielt mit den Händen, als ob kein Pedal dawäre. Kommt es vor, dass das Pedal ungespielt bleibt und hin und da nur mitgespielt wird, so nimmt es die Gemeinde nicht wahr und ist keine Sünde des Todesschlags begangen.

„Übung macht den Meister.” Schon in einer Woche können Sie bei Übung gut Pedal spielen oder auch Herr Leubner.

Meine Frau empfiehlt sich Ihnen und Ihrer Frau Gemahlin.

Ihr ergebener C. Braun

[Kilian's note at the bottom of the letter the day before the congregation meets.]
Ich behaupte, dass die Verhandlung wegen der neuen Orgel, die angekommen ist, vor keine Gemeindeversammlung gehört, sondern dass die Gesellschaft, welche durch Unterschrift die Bezahlung freiwilliger Beträge den Kauf der Orgel ermöglichte, über alle die Orgel betreffenden Fragen entscheidet.

Februar 5, 1870, Johann Kilian, Pastor

[Transliterated by Margot Hendricks]

106.856.1 Braun to Kilian - Blasig  024.jpg - 264kB

Go To Top