mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 04:50 PM
106.855 Braun to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 14 May 1869

Houston, May 14, 1869

Rev. John Kilian
Serbin, Texas

Dear Colleague,

Your payment from the previous month came in. I can tell you the following, that the custom duty for such an instrument is 33% of the purchase price. You can turn to the Duty Inspector in Galveston, since I don’t want to be involved with that again, since it may appear that I would make a profit from it. I wrote a number of letters to Trayser and went to a lot of trouble to get a good instrument for you. When the instrument comes, I will receive it for you. If I have to prove my non-involvement to you, it was especially for this, that I sent you all the written correspondence from Trayers, so that you yourself could see everything. I have much to do, and your buyers will themselves be coming to Galveston and give this matter their personal attention.

My wife sends her best greetings to you and your wife, along with your devoted,
C. Braun, Pastor

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

Houston May 14te 1869.

Rev. John Kilian
Serbin Texas

Lieber Herr Amtsbruder.

Ihr Schätzbares vom vorigen Monat kam an. In Folge kann ich Ihnen sagen, daß der Eingangs-Zoll 33 Prozent des Ankaufspreises für solche Instrumente ist. Sie können sich an den Zoll-Inspektor in Galveston wenden, denn ich will mich nicht wieder damit befassen, weil es mir bald scheint, als ob ich etwas Profit machen wolle, während ich eine Anzahl Briefe nach Trayser schrieb u. mir viele Mühe gab, Ihnen ein gutes Instrument zu verschaffen. Kommt das Instrument, so nehme ich es in Empfang für Sie. Habe, um Ihnen meine Uneigennützigkeit zu beweisen, eben nur darum, alle eigene Handschriften von Trayser zugesandt, so daß Sie selbst alles sehen können. Habe sehr viel zu thun u. Ihre Kaufleute kommen ja selbst nach Galveston u. können der Sache persönlich ihre Aufmerksamkeit geben.

Bestens grüßt Sie und Ihre Frau Gemahlin meine Frau mit Ihrem ergebenen

C. Braun,P.

[Transliterated by Christian Symmank]

106.855.1 Braun to Kilian..jpg - 215kB

Go To Top