Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 103.100 Greve to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 11 Aug 1868
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-17-2015 at 08:22 PM
103.100 Greve to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 11 Aug 1868

Weigersdorf – August 11, 1868

The favor of the Lord is new every day!

Highly esteemed dear colleague! On the morrow a congregational member from Dauban desires to make the long trip to you. So I gladly use the opportunity to send along a short letter of greeting, as I now live already for some time as your third successor in this Wendish congregation. How often I have here already thought about you, how I have heard of your various work here and in Kotitz, also of several requests of your translations into Wendish, especially for example [Johann Philip] Fresemius’ “The Confessional Writings” and [Karl Heinrich von] Bogatzky’s “Little Treasure Box” (which my dear wife almost daily reads with me in Wendish) and how much reason each brother successor has to be grateful and thank his predecessor, as he so often meets the tracks of their activity, their pain, their worry. How gladly I also [wish] I had the opportunity to speak with you face to face and ask of you various things about the first origins of the Lutheran movement here in this place, in which I yet suppose, that the acquaintance of the old Urban has gone with the enclosed account and also related from books through your mediation. The way of God our Savior is very different from all human thinking with His dear church and also with this present congregation: I had not thought about it earlier, when I had read or heard about the Wends, that I myself at one time should preach in Wendish, also therefore not as I heard through a letter from Pastor Karbe (to his brother with whom I lived for a time) of a wedding read aloud, which you after your departure, was held and described in the house of the old Rehle in Oelsa. I do not know if you in America yet read our church paper and I very well guess that you do: as it is already the case you will have found the report to you of my installation on January 7, 1866. Otherwise I report to you, that I was born in Westfalen in 1832, the son of an Evangelical State Church’s pastor in Gueterslah. [I] left Elberfeld in 1860 and then for a period of time [was] a high school teacher in Hoexter and Guetersloh until the duration of my theological examination in Breslau, was interview and chosen after Pastor Ebert’s departure from this place.

You are perhaps already aware that the Doebrick parish also has a new pastor in the person of the young Fergler and that Pastor Gumlich now lives as a high school teacher in Berlin. I would desire, that you, honored Mr. Pastor, to grant the favor, as your time allows, to work out a history of your Serbin congregation there, perhaps as a lead feature, to be included for publication in the church paper, that the situation of the Lutheran church is the same on this side and the other side of the ocean, your joys and sorrows, are applied to us and the reverse, and it would allow you also more and more toward the end, that all true Lutherans must be made to know of their narrow belonging together more and more and that the hope of the church, which rests on their faith, when they also realize the sorrows and struggles of their sisters. The occurrence of the year 1866 is in the early stages, drawing itself very seriously to churchly consequences in Germany, in which gradually all yet remaining Lutheran State Churches are coming to the briefly arrives at this place. Will the Wendish language be able to hold on for the duration there or must one gradually learn the English language? And how do you deal with the inner spiritual success in comparison with the conditions you are familiar with here? Would it be easy there at a later time to hold spiritual Wendish readings, and do you have a community of clergy brothers in the vicinity? When this letter comes into your hands, our General Synod for this year (September 16-24) will already be past, which will hardly yet also come to your ears, which will engage in bad church arguments (there the opposition has cut out in considerable proportion from 7,000 to 43,000, the remaining similar to the days before the Liegnitz, whereas perhaps, God grant it, a fruitful attempt to unite again can spring up), otherwise in various places [it is] more with the monetary state of emergency, school concerns, honor and relations to the other Lutheran churches. But there will also be truly heavy yet much joy beforehand, this now long and thorough investigation of the concerns of the conflict of the church government (therefore through which bitter fear has cost us long enough, as pastors increasingly return to the Union, splitting and chilling the congregation, ridicule of the Union) to move further forward; we thank God, that we are in the habit of having a clear understanding of the fragile situation, and hope on Him, who has humbled us and can and will raise us up also again at His time. Thanks be to Him, that this congregation has remained preserved from the already threatening division.

To you and the word of His grace – be to you and your congregation. So even as He commanded us, I close with the warmest greeting as yours united in Christ,

J. Greve, Pastor

God’s peace and grace for eternity, brother.

[Translated by H. Melvin Symmank]

Weigersdorf, 11 August 1868.

Die Güte des Herrn ist noch alle Tage neu!

Hochwürdiger Herr Amtsbruder! – Da Morgen einige Gemeindeglieder aus Dauban die lange Reise zu Ihnen antreten wollen, so möchte ich gern die Gelegenheit benutzen, um Ihnen einen schriftlichen Gruß mitzusenden, da ich nun schon seit einiger Zeit als Ihr dritter Nachfolger in der hiesigen Wendengemeinde lebe. Wie Vieles hat mich schon hier an Sie errinnert, wie Mancherlei habe ich von Ihrem Wirken hier und in Kotitz gehört, wie manche Förderung auch von Ihren Übersetzungen ins Wendische genossen als z. B. „Fresenius“ „Die Bekenntnißschriften“ u. „Bogatzky“ „Schatzkästlein“ (welches meine liebe Frau fast täglich mit mir wendisch liest) u. wieviel Ursache hat ein jeder Amtsnachfolger seiner Vorgänger dankbarlich zu gedenken, wie begegnet er so oft den Spuren ihrer Thätigkeit, ihrer Mühe, ihrer Sorgfalt. Wie gern hätte ich auch Gelegenheit mündlich mit Ihnen zu sprechen u. von Ihnen so Mancherlei zu erfragen über den ersten Ursprung der luth. Bewegung hier an diesem Orte, indem ich doch vermuthe, daß die Bekanntschaft der alten Urban mit der schlesischen Ereignissen u. den davon erzählenden Büchern durch Ihre Vermittlung gegangen sei. Die Wege Gottes unsers Heilandes mit Seiner lieben Kirche und auch mit der hiesigen Gemeinde sind ja sehr abweichend von allem menschlichen Denken; nie hätte ich früher daran gedacht, wenn ich von den Wenden las od. hörte, daß ich selbst einmal wendisch predigen sollte, auch damals nicht als ich durch einen Brief des P. Karbe (an seinen Bruder, bei welchem ich einige Zeit lebte) von einer Hochzeit vorlesen hörte, welche er nach Ihrer Abreise im Hause der alten Rehle in Oelsa hielt und beschrieb. Ich weiß nicht, ob Sie in Amerika noch unser Kirchenblatt lesen u. ich möchte Ihnen sehr rathen es zu thun: ist es schon der Fall, so werden Sie den Bericht von meiner Einführung am 7 Januar 1866 dort gefunden haben, sonst bemerke ich hier Sie, daß ich Westfalen bin, 1832 geboren, Sohn eines ev. landesk. Pastors in Gütersloh, 1860 in Elberfeld ausgetreten u. dann eine Zeit lang Gymnasial-Lehrer in Höxter u. Gütersloh bis ich nach bestandenen theol. exam. In Breslau nach P. Eberts Abgang hieher gewiesen u. gewählt wurde.

Ihnen wird vielleicht schon bekannt sein, daß ebenfalls die Döbricker Parachie einen neuen Pastor hat in der Person des jungen Fengler und daß P. Gumlich jetzt als Gymnasiallehrer in Berlin lebt. Ich möchte gern, daß Sie, verehrter Herr Pastor, die Güte hätten, wenn es einmal Ihre Zeit erlaubt, eine Geschichte Ihrer dortigen Gemeinde Serbien in den Hauptzügen auszuarbeiten, etwa derart, daß sie zur Veröffentlichung im Kirchenblatt geeignet wäre, denn es ist doch die Sache der luth. Kirche diesseits und hinseits des Oceans ein u. dieselbe, Ihre Freuden u. Leiden sind die unsrigen u. umgekehrt, u. es läßt sich ja auch Alles mehr u. mehr dahin an, daß alle wahren Lutheraner sich ihrer engsten Zusammengehörigkeit mehr u. mehr bewußt werden u. daß die Hoffnung unsrer Kirche, die auf ihrem Glauben ruht, wenn auch unter den schwersten Leiden u. Kämpfen, sich verwirklicht. Die Ereignisse des Jahres 1866 sind in Begriff, sehr ernst kirchliche Folgen in Deutschland nach sich zu ziehen, indem noch grade alle noch übrigen luth. Landeskirchen in dieselbe Sichtung kommen wie wir.

Mit lebhafter Theilnahme verfolgt man hier die einzelnen Nachrichten aus Ihrer Colonie, die brieflich hierher gelangen; wird denn die wendische Sprache sich auf die Dauer dort halten können od. allmählig dem Englischen weichen müssen? U. wie verhält es sich mit dem innern geistlichen Gedeihen im Vergleich mit den hiesigen Ihnen bekannten Zuständen? Wird es leicht sein, dort in späteren Zeiten wendisch redende Geistliche zu erhalten, und haben Sie amtsbrüderliche Gemeinschaft in der Nähe? Wenn dieser Brief in Ihre Hände kommt, wird unsre diesjährige Generalsynode (16 – 24 Sept.) wohl schon vorbei sein, die sich wohl kaum noch mit dem zu Ihren Ohren auch gekommenen bösen Kirchenstreit beschäftigen wird (da die Opposition ziemlich ausgeschieden ist im Verhältniß v. 7000 zu 43000, die übrigens ziemlich gleichzeitig in Liegnitz zu tagen vorhat, woraus vielleicht, Gott gebe es, fruchtbare Versuche zur Wiedervereinigung entspringen könnten), sondern mehr mit dem pecuniären Nothstand mancher Orte, Schulangelegenheiten, Ehrsachen u. Verhältniß zu den andern luth. Kirchen. Es wird auch wohl schwerlich noch viel Lust vorhanden sein, diese nun lange u. gründlich untersuchte Angelegenheit der Bestreitung des Kirchenregiments (daran durchweg bittere Früchte wir lange genug gekostet haben, als Rückfall mehrerer Past. zur Union, Spaltung u. Erkältung der Gemeinde, Spott der Unirten) ferner fortzufahren; wir danken Gott, daß wir eine klare Erkenntniß der fragl. Sache gewonnen haben, u. hoffen auf Ihn, der uns gedemüthigt hat und uns zu Seiner Zeit auch wieder erhöhen kann u. wird; Dank sei Ihm, daß diese Gemeinde von der schon drohenden Spaltung bewahrt geblieben ist.

Ihm u. dem Worte Seiner Gnade Sie u. Ihre Gemeinde, so wie Ihm auch uns befehlend, schließe ich mit dem herzlichen Gruß als Ihr

in Christo verbundner
J. Greve, Pastor

Boži mĕr a hnada ze wĕčni bratrami!

[Transliterated by Christian Symmank]

Letter 103.1.1 11 Aug 1868.25.jpg - 220kB

Letter 103.1.2 11 Aug 1868.25.jpg - 244kB

Letter 103.1.3 11 Aug 1868.25.jpg - 246kB

Letter 103.1.4 11 Aug 1868.25.jpg - 238kB

Go To Top