Author: Subject: 092.431 Walther to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 9 Feb 1867
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 09:47 PM
092.431 Walther to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 9 Feb 1867

St. Louis, 9th February 1867

My Dear Sir Pastor!

Beloved Brother in the Lord!

I have intended for some time to answer your nice letter from March 9th, but I kept putting it off until now (with) the impossibility alone, (being) determined to deal with something of your important request. I am namely truly in an unworthy way presently (? “so gleich” as like) General President, but as such I am not done with searching the new revised Constitution (with) preachers and congregations, as I am a teacher of this Seminary, President of the General (Synod), I can take on nothing (more) and likewise remain a teacher. The search of the pastors and congregations are now finally the responsibility of the District President and they also cannot judge these portions of the functions of their office alone, the appointed result is therefore especially the same for the help in search for the office. The concern is the help of the President of the Western District (who is) Pastor Herman Fick of Collinsville, Ill. The same intended to come to visit also the Texas brothers. So I have waited on this from him from one week to another. Pastor Fick who appears diligent in St. Louis, (is to) visit you to search and for him to decide. The situation of the delayed travel between here and the distant Mississippi, though only 12 miles distant to Collinsville, is yet so seldom possible in the last months, and the difficulty of the trip so great, that Fick has stayed out until now. I can no longer let it stand, to at least reply to you as I am able. (?)

This is very unfortunate at the least and not favorable for you. To call you to St. Louis would be very burdensome. To propose a new teaching position for the Seminary is possible when the General Synod is assembled. It comes down to, that the Hebrew position is between two instructors, Prof. Baumstark and Pastor Brohm and how it affects the Homiletics. With a little work on our part, this Department is also set out prepared namely through that of Profs. Braumer and Craemer, as well as with my small assistance. But as concerning the named Boehm, it appears the people to be pretty much softened and the same to really possess so much an interest in God’s Word that they would do anything for the preaching of the same. Therefore it is that now very little German or English is understood so that where there is no position for these people to discuss with us, that they work towards separating and establishing the preaching office under him. A German preaching office for you to supply here in the vicinity would truly have no particular burden. But the situation here in the West, most are so little (financially) endowed, that I hardly dare, therefore to suggest to you for you to expend so much (?“haben den”) having a family. Yet it may happen at some time that a place will open for you in some place near here or another for you in your situation.

As for your dear son, at least for the 15-year olds, there is no united student place. We have here for the present only the elementary school. As a result during the war, our grammar school was necessarily moved to Fort Wayne in the state of Indiana. This is the first institution for your Gerhard. I am sending along to you the program of the same. I will do all that is possible to contact Pastor Fick, that he visit you in the early part of the year; should you therefore decide, to enroll your eldest son in the Fort Wayne institution then the same Pastor Fick could bring (him) along on his return trip and I would then take him up and care for him that with good opportunity he be brought to Fort Wayne.

Should the improbability happen that you from here be allowed to provide personal help for the household. The experience, which one in effect may personally earn, we make here the next highest grade. A girl makes here from 7 to 20 dollars a month pay and yet will almost each more so the wife, play the dominoes and not the Eucher or yet the Herve. The so-called Abolitionist always carries more fruit, that everyone to be a ruler but no one wants to work. I venture that a little old woman, how she wishes to move here, (I) can go to her and can report her value from $300.00. The fourth commandment is for the most part here for the growing up young people a “terra incognita” (unknown land). To what place the rejection of those who would yet hold to the keeping of worship, that God (only) knows. I am afraid, when I think of the future of the radical American thought, and yet with pity I look upon my children who do not have faith like me, without doubt soon to be released out of this shameful world through a blessed death.

Fick will bring along a vocations application when he visits you. But should Fick absolutely not be able to make the trip, I will send you such an application by mail.

It grieves me to know how unsatisfactory to you these small lines were laid out of hand. But yet a thief gives more than he has. From my willingness, to serve you in each respect, (I) do not want you to doubt.

The Lord himself take the concerns of your heart (into) His gracious hands and help you to fulfill all of your wishes.

Greet the dear Lehnigk from my heart.

In the Lord, Your Humble C. F. W. Walther

[Translated by H. Melvin Symmank]

St Louis, den 9. Febr. 1867

Mein theuer Herr Pastor!

Geliebter Bruder in dem Herrn!

Schon längst beabsichtigte ich, Ihr liebes Schreiben vom 9. v. M. zu beantworten, allein die Unmöglichkeit, Ihen gerade über Ihren wichtigste Angrage etwas bestimtes mitzutheilen, hielt mich bisher davon ab. Ich bin nehmlich zwar unwürdigerweise gegenwärtig s.g. Algemeiner Präses, aber als solcher habe ich nach neuen veränderten Consititution nichts mit besuchen fon Predigern u,. Gemeinder zu thun, sonts hätte ich auch als Leherer an hiesigen Seminar das Allg. Präsidium garnicht annehmen u. zugleich Leherer bleiben können. Die Besuch bei Predigern u. Gemeinden sind jetzt ausschliesslich Sache der Distrikts-Präsids. u. auch diese können diesen Theil ihrer Amtsfunctionen nicht allein ausrichtern, es sind daher denselben sonderlich für das Besuchsamt Gehilfen gesetzt worden. Der betreffende Gehilfe des Präses westlichen Distrikts ist aber Pastor Herm. Fick in Collinsville, Ill. Diesem würde es zukommen, auch die Texanischen Brüder zu bersuchen. So habe ich den von einer Woche zur anderen darauf gewartet; Pastor Fick, der fleissig in St Louis erscheint, hier zusehen u. ihn zu bestimmen, dass er Sie besuche. Die Verkehrsgelegenheit zwischen hier u. dem jenseit des Mississippi liegenden, obwohl nur 12 Meilen entfernten Collinsville, ist aber in den letzten Monaten so selten gewesen, u. die Schwierigkeiten der Reise so gross, dass Fick bischer ausgeblieben ist. Ich kann nun es nicht länger enstehen lassen, Ihnen wenigsten so viel zu antworten, als ich vermach(?).

Es ist dies leider sehr wenig u. nicht eben für Sie Günstiges. Sie nach St. Louis zu berufen, dürfte sehr schwer fallen. Eine neue Lehrestelle fur das hiesige Seminar zu meinen (?), ist nur möglich wenn die Allgemeine Synode sich versammelt. Dazu kommt, dass im Hebräischen stehn zwei unterrichter, Prof. Baumstark u. Past. Brohm, u. was die Homiletik betrifft. So ist auch dieses Fach durch unsere geringe Arbeit; nehmlich durch die der Proff. Brauner u. Crämer, sowie meiner Wenigkeit, bereits besetz. Was aber die hiesigen Böhmen betrifft, so scheint dieses Volk ziemlich vermildert zu sein u. dasselbe schwerlich so viel Interesse an Gottes Wort zubesitzen, um für die Predigt desselben irgendet was zu thun. Dazu kommt, dass nur sehr wenige deutsch oder englisch verstehen, so dass wor gar nicht im Stande sind, an diesen leuten uns so besprechen, sie zu sondern u. auf Errichtung des Predigamtes unter ihnen hinzuwirken. Ein deutsches Predigtamt Ihnen hier in der Nähe zu verschaffen würde wohl keine sonderliche Schwierigkeit haben, aber die Stellen hier im Westen sind meisst so gering dotirt, dass ich kaum wage, Sie darauf hinzuweisen bei Ihrer so viele Ausgaben harrbenden(?) Familie. Doch mag es in einiger Zeit gelehen, dass ein geoffender Platz im hiesige Gegend oder in einer anderen Ihnen gelegenen für Sie offen wird.

Für Ihre lieben Söhne, wenigstens für den fünfzehn jährigen, gibt es hier keine geignete Lehranstalt. Wir haben hier bis dato nur Elementarschulen. Unser Gymnasium is während des Kriegs infolge nöthigender Umstände nach Fort Wayne im Staate Indiana verlegft worden. Dies wäre für Ihren Gerhard der erste Institut. Ich sende Ihnen daher das Programm desselben mit. Ich werde alles mögliche thun, Pastor Fick zubestimmen, dass er Sie in dieses Frühjahr besucht; sollten sie sich daher
entschliessen, Ihren seltesten Sohn der Fort Wayner Anstalt anzuvertrauen, so könnte denselben Pastor Fick auf seiner Rückreise mit hieher bringen, u. ich würde dann ihn aufnehmen u. dafür sorgen, dass er mit gutter Gelegenheit nach Fort Wayne gebracht würde.

Ihnen von hier eine persönliche Hilfe für denHaushalt zu verschaffen, dürfte zun den Unmöglichkeiten gehören. Die Erfahrung, die Sie in Betreff des dienenden Personals machen, machen wir hier in noch höherem Grade. Ein Mädchen macht hir auf 7 bis 20 Dollars monatlichen Lohn, u. doch will fast jede dabei mehr die Frau, die Domina, u. nicht die Anutta oder gar die Herve spielen. Die hiesige Abolitionismus trägt immer mehr die Frucht, dass jedermann zwar herrschen, aber niemand dienen will. Ich getraue mir kleine ältliche weibliche Person, wie Sie sir wünschen, hier dazu zubewegen, zu Ihnen zu gehen, u. wenn ich ihr einen Gehalt von $300.00 zusagen könnte. Das vierte Gebot ist für die meisten hier aufgewachsenen jungen Leute eine terra incognita. Wohin die Verwerfung jedes Dienstverhältnisses hier noch führen werde, das Weiss Gott. Mir graut, wenn ich die Zukunft des radicalen America denke, u. nur mit Mitleid sehe ich auf meine Kinder, die nicht mit mir Trost haben, ohne Zweifel bald aus dieser schändlichen Welt durch einen seligen Tod erlöst zu werden.

Ein Vocations Formular wird Fick, wenn er Sie besucht, mitbringen. Sollte aber Fick absolut nicht im Stande sein, die Reise zu nehmen, so schicke ich Ihnen ein solches Formular per Post.

Es thut mir leid, zu wissen, wie unbefriedigt Sie diese seine wenigen Zeilen aus der Hand legen warden. Aber nur ein Dieb gibt mehr, als er hat. An meiner Willigkeit, Ihnen in jeder Hinsicht zu dienen, wollen Sie nicht Zweifeln.

Der Herr nehme selbst die Angelegenheiten ihres Herzens Seine gnädigen hände u. helfe Ihnen in allem zu einem erwünschten Ziele.

Grüssen Sie den lieben Lehnigk von mir herzlich.
In dem HErrn, Ihr

Ergebenster,
C. F. W. Walther

[Transliterated by Bill Biar]

Letter 92.431.1 9 Feb 1867.25.jpg - 293kB

Letter 92.431.2 9 Feb 1867.25.jpg - 216kB

Go To Top