Author: Subject: 064.600 1859 Church News, Aug 1859, Sep 1860
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 02:50 PM
064.600 1859 Church News, Aug 1859, Sep 1860

Church News
Text

Pastor J. Kilian becomes Pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church at Bastrop

The German congregation at Bastrop of undetermined Lutheran direction, as she belongs to the Texas Synod, had built a small church under Pastor Kugel. But they soon separated except for a few members, because of the offense they took against the pastor. These members turned to the undersigned, after Pastor Kugel went to Iowa, and asked me if I would come and preach in Bastrop. I satisfied their wish but worked toward having the congregation, which had almost disintegrated, brought together again and be newly organized. The first question that I brought up for discussion was about the Confessions of the congregation, whether all of the members truly accepted the Lutheran Catechism, especially the doctrine of The Lord’s Supper. There arose a dispute about this in which one member definitely declared himself against the Lutheran doctrine on The Lord’s Supper. This member had to be removed. Since now the rest of the members allegedly went along with the Lutheran Confessions, so the congregation was publicly newly constituted by getting administered Holy Communion through me on February 27, 1859 (Sexagesima Sunday) after the worship service. Since then, I have preached there again on Jubilate Sunday and on Trinity Sunday, and will preach there from time to time as long as the congregation willingly follows the evangelical Lutheran path or they don’t get their own pastor. Thus the pastor, in addition to his own two congregations, the Wendish colony where he lives, and the dispersed congregation in New Ulm and vicinity, consisting of a number of Wendish and several German families, to which, since his presence here, he has to travel 36 miles on each 5th Sunday, has assumed the spiritual care of a third small congregation.

August 1859
Johann Kilian, Pastor

On October 4, 1859, a pastor of the Texas Synod, named Kitterer, came to Bastrop and asked that he might be accepted as their pastor. He even succeeded in taking the congregation at Bastrop away from me. But in the year 1860, he went from Bastrop to Victoria, so that the congregation now is without a pastor.

Serbin, September 21, 1860
Johann Kilian, Pastor

Translated by Ed Bernthal and Christian Symmank

Kirchliche Nachricht

Der Pastor J. Kilian wird Pastor der evang.-lutherischen Gemeine zu Bastrop

Die deutsche Gemeine zu Bastrop unbestimmt lutherischer Richtung, wie sie der Texas-Synode eigen ist, hatte sich unter dem Pastor Kugel ein Kirchlein erbaut, aber sich bald aus Anstoß, die sie an dem Pastor nahm, bis auf etliche Glieder getrennt. Diese Glieder wandten sich, nachdem der Pastor Kugel nach Iowa gegangen war, an den Unterzeichneten, daß ich zu Zeiten in Bastrop predigen möchte. Ich erfüllte ihren Wunsch, arbeitete aber darauf hin, die Gemeine, die fast aufgelöst war, wieder zusammen zubringen und neu zu konstituieren. Die erste Frage, die ich zur Sprache brachte, war um das Bekenntnis der Gemeine, ob alle Glieder dem lutherischen Katechismus, insbesondere in der Abendmahlslehre, herzlich beistimmten. Es entstanden Disputationen darüber, in welchen ein Glied sich bestimmt gegen die lutherische Abendmahlslehre erklärte. Dieses Glied mußte entfernt werden. Da nun die übrigen Glieder im lutherischen Bekenntnis angeblich einig waren, so wurde die Gemeine dadurch öffentlich neu konstituiert, daß ihr am 27. Februar 1859 (Dom. Sexagesima) von mir nach dem Gottesdienste das heilige Abendmahl gereicht wurde. Ich habe seitdem am Sonntage Jubilate und am Trinitatisfest wieder daselbst gepredigt und will von Zeit zu Zeit dort predigen solange, als die Gemeine auf dem evang.-lutherischen Wege willig fortgeht oder so lange sie nicht einen eigenen Pastor erhält. Somit hat der Pastor zu seinen zwei Gemeinen, der Wendenkolonie, wo er wohnt, und der aus mehreren Wenden und etlichen deutschen Familien bestehenden Diaspora-Gemeine in New-Ulm und Umgegend, zu welcher er seit seinem Hiersein für jeden 5. Sonntag 36 Meilen weit zu reisen hat, noch bei einer dritten kleinen Gemeine die geistliche Pflege übernommen.

Im August 1859
Johann Kilian, Pastor

Am 4. Oktober 1859 kam ein Pastor der Texas-Synode namens Kitterer, nach Bastrop und bat, daß man ihn als Pastor aufnehmen möchte. Es gelang ihm auch, die Gemeine zu Bastrop mir wegzunehmen. Er ist aber im Jahre 1860 von Bastrop nach Victoria gegangen, so daß die Gemeine nun ohne Pastor ist.

Serbin, am 21. September 1860
Johann Kilian, Pastor

Transliterated by Martin Strauch

1859.1.1 Church News, 1859.25.jpg - 250kB

1859.1.2 Church News, 1859.25.jpg - 236kB

Go To Top