The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 056.000 Kilian to Ebinger, [CHI, Serbin Collection], 9 Dec 1858
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 09:21 PM
056.000 Kilian to Ebinger, [CHI, Serbin Collection], 9 Dec 1858

Wendish Settlement, Bastrop County, TX
9th December 1858

To Pastor J. G. Ebinger, near Brenham, Washington County, TX

Venerable, Honorable Friend,

I have not responded to your letter of August 13 of the year because I wanted to wait how the Texas-Synod may receive the separation that happened in my congregation.

The story about the “police supervision of Pastor Lieb“ was told in the local settlement by a certain Wendish man called Born, who moved from us to the Texas-Synod or rather to a congregation of the Texas-Synod. This story gains a touch of truth in that Pastor Lieb has here taken up towards my congregation and me the proud attitude of a Separation Pastor.

I understand condemnable church union as one in which all and each church union represents equality of truth and lie. It may be Prussian, Baden, or American. How we have to judge and treat such a union is reflected in the 2nd letter of Paul to the Corinthians, chapter 6, verse 14 to 18.

The this year's September edition of “Lehre und Wehre“ proves so clearly, that the General Synod is united this way, that I don't need to inform about this anymore. And that the Texas-Synod couldn't be a branch of the General Synod, if it wouldn't be united as well, that has to be evident, if one considers, how the church of the pure word and sacrament has to position itself to the General Synod according to the 2nd letter of Paul to the Corinthians, chapter 6, verse 14 to 18.

As far as your response to my 3 questions is concerned, you have documented your sense of alliance with the Union. You evade when it is important to state that pastor Eichhorn’s witness against the Baden church union was godly demanded. You evade when it is important to state, that the alliance of those is unjust who unite with the hushing up of the “doctrine of distinction”, because in this way fallacy and truth appear as equal in the doctrine of distinction. Finally, you agree with the open communion between Lutherans and Reformed. We don’t talk here about the church in which we believe according to the 3rd Article, and so not see. The quarrel rather is about the question, if the visible church of the pure word and sacrament may pass out the bread and wine to those who avowedly espouse heresy without having demanded of them the giving up their heretic belief and demanding confession of the truth. The Communion fellowship (open Communion) of Lutherans and Reformed has its basis in the indifference against the heresy against which with word and deed to witness not only the belief but also love demands.

But enough. Our opposing views are known. We cannot yet converge at this time, with the fervent desire that with God’s particular guidance it may happen in future, I remain in Christian love,

Yours,
Johann Kilian, Pastor

Translated by Margot Hendricks and Christian Symmank

Wendische Ansiedlung, Bastrop Co. den 9ten December 1858.

An Herrn Pastor J. G. Ebinger bei Brenham, Washington Co., Texas.

Ehrwürdiger, Hochgeehrter Freund!

Ihren Brief vom 13ten August d. J. habe ich so lange unbeantwortet gelassen, weil ich abwarten wollte, welche Aufnahme die in meiner hiesigen Gemeine vorgefallene Separation bei der Texas-Synode finden würde.

Die Geschichte von der „polizeilichen Aufsicht des Pastors Lieb“ hat ein gewisser, von uns zur Texas-Synode oder vielmehr zu einer Gemeinde der Texas-Synode übergegangener Wende namens Born in hiesigem Settlement erzählt. Diese Erzählung gewinnt einen Schein der Wahrheit dadurch, daß Pastor Lieb hier meiner Gemeine und mir gegenüber die stolze Stellung eines Separatistenpastors eingenommen hat.

Unter verwerflicher Kirchenunion verstehe ich alle u. jede kirchliche Vereinigung und Gleichberechtigung der Wahrheit und der Lüge. Sie möge Preußisch, Badisch oder Amerikanisch seyn. Wie man solche Union zu beurtheilen und zu behandeln hat, lehrt Paulus 2 Korinth. 6, 14-18.

Daß die General-Synode in solcher Weise unirt sey, weiset das diesjährige Septemberheft der „Lehre und Wehre“ so deutlich nach, daß ich eine Auskunft darüber nicht mehr nöthig habe. Und daß die Texas-Synode ein Zweig der General-Synode nicht seyn könnte, wenn sie nicht ebenfalls unirt wäre, das muß einleuchten, wenn man bedenkt, wie sich die Kirche des reinen Worts und Sacraments nach 2 Korinth. 6, 14-18 zu solcher Generalsynode zu stellen hat.

Was Ihre Beantwortung meiner 3 Fragen anbelangt, so haben Sie Ihren, der Union gewogenen Sinn damit beurkundet. Sie weichen aus, wenn es gilt zu sagen, daß P. Eichhorns Zeugniß gegen die Badische Kirchenunion göttlich geboten war. Sie weichen aus, wenn es gilt zu sagen, daß die Allianz derer, welche sich mit Vertuschung der Unter- scheidungslehren vereinigen, unrecht ist, weil damit in den Unterscheidungslehren der Irrthum und die Wahrheit als gleich gelitten erscheint. Sie erklären sich endlich entschieden für die Abendmahlsgemeinschaft der Lutheraner mit Reformirten. Es handelt sich hier gar nicht um die Kirche, welche wir nach dem 3ten Artikel glauben, also nicht sehen. Es streitet sich vielmehr darum, ob die sichtbare Kirche des reinen Worts und Sacraments denen das heil. Abendmahl reichen darf, die erklärter Maaßen der Irrlehre anhangen, ohne von ihnen das Aufgeben ihres Irrglaubens und das Bekenntniß der Wahrheit zu fordern. Die Abendmahls- gemeinschaft der Lutheraner mit Reformirten als solchen hat ihren Grund in der Gleichgültigkeit gegen Irrlehre, gegen welche mit Wort und That zu zeugen nicht nur der Glaube, sondern auch die Liebe fordert.

Doch genug. Unsere gegenseitige Stellung ist nun klar. Wir können jetzt noch nicht zusammenkommen. Mit dem sehnlichen Verlangen, daß es durch Gottes besondere Führungen künftig geschehen möge, verbleibe ich in Liebe

Ihr ergebener
Johann Kilian, P.

Transliterated by Christian Symmank

56, 9 Dec 1858 1.1.25.jpg - 303kB

56, 9 Dec 1858 1.2.25.jpg - 313kB

56, 9 Dec 1858 1.3.25.jpg - 187kB

Go To Top