The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Have you ever been to the Texas Folklife Festival?
No, but I would like more information. -- 0 (0%)
Yes! I've been and love it. --- 5 (100%)
Yes, but I did not really like it... -- 0 (0%)
No I have never been and am not interested. -- 0 (0%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Have you ever been to the Texas Folklife Festival?
WanderingWend
Junior Posting Wend

Mood: Great!

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 09:18 PM
Have you ever been to the Texas Folklife Festival?

All of us have been to the annually offered Texas Wendish Festival but how about the other, less Wendishly known annual celebration the Texas Wendish Heritage Society takes part in San Antonio as part of the Texas Folklife Festival?

"Avito Viret Honore - Per Aspera ad Astra"
webmaster
Super Administrator

Mood: The webmaster is Happy!

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 08:56 AM

Haven't attended since perhaps 2000, 2001. Will need to start attending once again.

I assisted in providing info at the booth of the American Indian Horse Registry during two of the festivals.

This is were I had the great pleasure to meet and get to know Scottie Stevenson. She was the granddaughter of former Texas Governor Coke Stevenson, whom even I, growing up in Ohio, heard about on the national newscasts during the 1960's. He was Speaker of the House of Representatives for two consecutive terms. He ran for Texas Senator in 1948, and lost to Lyndon Johnson. This is one of the most infamous elections in U.S. history.

"Stevenson contested the election, claiming there had been fraudulent votes cast in Duval County and in Precinct 13 in Jim Wells County. The dispute was carried all the way to the United States Supreme Court, but after the voting lists from Box 13 were lost or stolen and the Duval County returns were burned prior to the date set by law, the federal court ruled that it did not have jurisdiction in the case. Stevenson's plea to the United States Senate was refused, and he took the defeat with bitterness." - https://www.laits.utexas.edu/txp_media/html/exec/governors/21...

I have also heard that the voters from precinct 13 included many who were deceased at the time. And on top of this, they voted in alphabetical order! What a coincidence!

Scottie passed away in the early 2000's. She was a great person. Visited my home on a few occasions.

https://www.indianhorse.com/

The festivals were nice, but the weather was always HOT!
WanderingWend
Junior Posting Wend

Mood: Great!

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 03:23 PM

Wow, thanks for the great Texas History lesson! I am intrigued to look more into the matter although I think you hit the high points at any rate.

Speaking of high points, you are correct, the weather the Texas Folklife Festival takes part in is pretty standard early to mid June Texas weather, definitely not for the faint of heart or environs just walking TO the UTSA campus for the festivities.

If anyone is going, make sure you drink adequate amounts of water before going and maybe a carry along water bottle for the trip into the place.

I went in 2009 for the first time ever and thoroughly enjoyed the festival. Over 40 different cultures that now have contingents in Texas are represented and everything from ethnic dancing to food and wares can be had at the enormous gathering.

It was a great experience for me, especially had fun getting to eat Wendish food there :crazy:

My favorite quote of the day was actually walking to the campus, we were passed up by a dark skinned gentleman whom I greeted and commented "Lovely weather today" to which he responded similar to: I am from India where it is hot but this is really hot!
We laughed at that point.

"Avito Viret Honore - Per Aspera ad Astra"
webmaster
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 08:49 AM

And to think it was 13 degrees here about a week or so ago.

Your uncle David is working on what will surely be his new #1 hit single: "Pipes a' Poppin".
webmaster
Super Administrator

thumbup.gif posted on 2-19-2011 at 11:01 AM
Congrats to Wandering Wend

I see you have attained the honored Posting Status of Junior Posting Wend!

Also, it was fun to walk over to the Institute of Texan Cultures museum across the way at the Folklife Festival and view the many exhibits. There is a nice section of exhibits on the Wends, by the way.
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 09:29 PM
Participation is a good way to get in!

The way I like to see the Folklife Festival is to be a participant at the Wendish Booth. Sign up for a shift and you will get a place to park free of charge, a shuttle bus to take you to the back gate, and a free pass to get you in. Contact me, and I'll have Ron Knippa contact you.
thettler
Rookie Wendish Poster

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 12:54 PM
Texas Folklife Festival

Thank you for the reminder about the Texas Folklife Festival! For those who don't know about it, information is available at https://www.texancultures.com/festivals_events/texas_folklife...

Tonya (Zoch) Hettler

Go To Top