mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 09:02 AM
Knippa, Paul H.

Knippa, Paul H. Service Card.jpg - 183kB

World War I
Soldier’s Letter
Jul 28, 1914 – Nov 11, 1918
Paul H. Knippa. Giddings Deutsches Volksblatt.

Soldier’s Letter
from Mehren, Germany
---
December 16 - 1918

Dear Mother & All Others!
Just got hold of your letter of November 18th. I am very glad to hear from you again, since I have received no letter from you for some time. How are you at the moment? Thank God, I am still healthy and well-kept, which I should also hope of you all. It will be surprising for you to hear that we are now in Germany. We arrived today after a march that began on the 1st of this month, about 12 ½ miles per day in "Wehren." This means roughly 175 miles with a packed pack of 80 pounds. The first day we were very tired, but most endured. We had quarters, where we used to rest during the night until the morning. We all used a few shoes. The streets were very good, but it rained every 30 minutes, so the shoes were wet and dirty. - But Uncle Sam takes care of his boys. We have enough clothes over here. In order to give you an idea what a man has to complain about, here is a list of what we have to carry: a meat can, cup, knife, fork, and spoon, bayonet and saber, canteen and shelter half, 100 cartridges, pair of belts, feed sack, oilcan, pack carrier. Sack for first aid and bag, rifle and case, gas mask, razor and strop, soap, handkerchiefs, compass, signal whistle, clock and time. Now comes the clothes: 1 belt, 2 blankets, 2 pairs of pants, 1 cap, 1 skirt, 2 undercoats, 1 pair of woolen gloves, 1 steel helmet, 1 pair of leggings, 2 color ornaments, 1 pair field shoes, 1 rain coat and 4 pairs of stockings. This is exactly what I have to carry, most men have even more.

We have marched over France and came through Luxembourg, and now we are in good shape in Germany. This country is certainly beautiful. Luxembourg is very beautiful and Germany as far as we can see is very nice and romantic, with the high mountains and many magnificent vineyards. For two days we stood at a place where the Moselle makes a bend through the mountains. They are so straight and high that one looks over the high chimneys and they can see the kitchens at home. I expect we will celebrate our Christmas here. But we are expecting to soon return to the United States. I will write you more about Germany next time. So I will offer you a good night for today.

I remain as always your dear son.
Supply SGT Paul H. Knippa
Company H, 360 Inf. Bn., A.P.O. 770
American Expeditionary Force

Soldier’s Letter
From Graatz, Germany
---
December 25, 1918

To Ben Knippa
Lincoln, Texas

Dear Brother and all others!
Merry Christmas for a greeting. Let me wonder how you all spend the Christmas holiday. No doubt you have more joy than I do. But I am not disappointed in the least. Last night on the holy evening, our company was formed and marched to the singing after the Y. A. C. U., we were successful, because all the civilians were surprised. During this night the company went to the church, where every soldier receives a Christmas pack, consisting of a box of candy, cigarettes, etc. This is supplied by the Y.M.C.A and is accepted with great appreciation. Since I last wrote, as you have noticed, we have moved further. This place "Graatz" is a small cute town, located on the right side of the Moselle shore. The river lies between mountains and "Graatz" is on the mountain and river side. Our quarters are about 50 yards from the water and is absolutely pretty. Here is the most beautiful view one can ever see. The high snow covered mountains and vineyards is a splendor. I wanted to have a Kodak, so I could bring a number of such pictures home, but here is no such thing to be procured. The next day I and two comrades had the pleasure of making a good boat trip on the river. We drove with the stream about half a mile and had a lot of fun. But when we came back against the strong current, we had to work hard, but we were back safely. The difficulty lay in the fact that the boat was too big, a 12-man boat and we were only our three. The river is somewhat as large as the Texas Bosque River. I would have liked to be with you during the Christmas and New Year festivities. But I am glad and can thank God that the war is over and I am still alive. Every person who has been through what we have should never complain. Our orders are that we shall remain in this place during the winter, which I am especially proud of. It is almost time to church, so I will conclude in the hope that these times may meet you in good health as they may leave me.

With heartfelt greetings to you all I remain as always your
Brother Paul

Soldiers letter
from Paris, France
---
March 30 - 1919

Dear brother!
I've always wanted to write you a long letter, but I never got time. Now I have decided to do this on my truck, if I have somewhere where I am, loaded or unloaded, because that is the only way to do it.

First I want to let you know that I received your letter of the 13th, it took 14 days to come over. I will also answer both at the same time. I also received your picture, it is certainly nice, I thank you for that too.

You write that the returning soldiers are saying they want nothing to do with France. Now I know why. - I did not like it when I came over. Since I am in Paris I like it a lot. There must be something in this army, I am here, and I shall be here for a long time. I'm still driving my mail truck, it's light and steady work. Today is Sunday and we have 3000 sacks of mail to deliver. This is just fun sometimes we have more. One thing I want to tell you and that is, the American Red Cross is certainly doing its duty over here. It has a canteen in every station in Paris, as well as other places in France, but only for American soldiers. It looks like a restaurant, meals are served at all times. They also have beds. Soldiers coming to Paris to go further, find a place to eat and sleep. The good thing is that these meals are cheap, in case you have no money, they are free. They give breakfast for 10 cents, lunch 15 cents, and evening meal is 10 cents. A man can eat all he wants and also is good. The situation is different with us, but we do not eat there any more, as we cannot come back to the meal most of the time and thus miss them. So another facility has been contracted and we get so much more pay so we can buy meals where we are at the time. The government pays us $2.00 per day or $60.00 per month. We can eat for $10.00 per month at the Red Cross and save the other. This added to my regular wage makes $75.00 per month clear. So you see that I am making a little more money now and am not in such a hurry to get home. Later on, we still get pay raise and then get chauffeur wages, which are $44.00 per month. This shows that if one strives, he becomes successful.

Now something else about my school work. I had to give up the books due to a lot of work. However, I still visit the French and stenography classes and make so far good progress. You can learn a lot in the army.

Have you ever heard of Versailles? It is the largest royal castle in the world, where all the French rulers of their time lived. Napoleon and Louis the 14th and others lived there. The first was built by the Roy Soleil [Louis the 14th]. Its historical age extends to 225 years. The cost of the palace and the park was 1 billion francs. Versailles is also of interest to Americans since the conclusion of a peace treaty in 1787. The present peace treaty would also be signed here, I had seen the table on which it was signed, and laid my hand upon it.

Now I hope you are currently busy in the field. Hope you will well be finished without me. Do not want to hold out any longer, otherwise you will be tired of reading. I'm still quite healthy and hope the same from you. With best regards - Paul

Soldier’s Letter
from Paris, France
---
Jan. 28, 1919.

Dear sister!
During the last days I received 7 letters and you must know how happy I was. I also got your letter from January 8th as well as Anton's. I'm glad that Anton can now ride Fonke and makes good progress at school. Also I go back to school twice a week in the evening in our hotel. I am studying French and English literature, accounting and stenography. During the day I will travel between the stations here in Paris, about three to four miles away, so you can see how big Paris is. All these schools are managed free of charge by Y.M.C.A., including books, writing materials, etc. This is what the opportunity here offers, so I think I will stay here longer, as long as the mail goes through here. I have not seen the front yet, but I would like to see it, as soon as opportunity offers. The postal service here is a great thing and I feel happy to have gotten it.

I have one question to ask you. Can the people at home do well without me? I'm worried about how you are getting along. Do not be concerned about me, I'm in good health and I'm fine. Uncle Sam worries about me the best. We mail men have enough warm clothing, so-called airplane jackets, which are very warm, as well as other clothes. Get monthly $33.00 from which $6.50 goes on insurance and remains only $26.50, of course, this is not very much.

Have you ever heard of Karl Rosenkranz, W. Jost. Erich Miller and Kindler's boys, as well as Robert Kattner? If you have heard something, please send me their addresses, would like to know where they are now.

You write me that the weather is very cold over there. On the other hand, it is warm here. It's raining every day since I am in France, except the last few days. Today we had some snow.

One more question: Are my letters censored? Now to the end for this time. Hope to hear from you again soon. With best regards to all.
Your brother
Paul

Go To Top