The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Koenitz, Bernd: Unwürde, Lubij, Dažin, Stwěšin and Other Names of Old Sorbian Origin. (Part I)
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 09:33 PM
Koenitz, Bernd: Unwürde, Lubij, Dažin, Stwěšin and Other Names of Old Sorbian Origin. (Part I)

Lětopis Abstract 2010 2: Koenitz. Bernd: Unwürde, Lubij, Dažin, Stwěšin and Other Names of Old Sorbian Origin. Miscellanea and Some Arguments of a Systemic Nature (Part I)

In this paper (to be continued) attempts are made to give convincing explanations of some Lusatian place names, which have been objects of dispute or points of interpretational embarrassment (such as Milkel/Minakał or Melaune/Měrjow, respectively). Apart from a polemic about the name Unwürde/Wujer, a somewhat more intense review of the field has led the author not only to new ideas concerning single names but also to more insight into certain systemic connections. In the course of searching for a plausible explanation of the form Lubij, an otherwise heterogeneous group of names appeared, esp. of those containing -j- derived from palatalized w. What has been emphasized as a stimulating aspect in analysing Sorbian place names is a consideration of the possibility that they could have been falsely (per analogiam) rebuilt on the basis of detoponymical adjectives or in terms of inhabitants. An important methodological principle is also to attach a much higher value to a possible continuity between authentic New Sorbian forms and the corresponding ones of previous periods.

Go To Top