The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Schuster-Šewc, Heinz: The Slav Terms for ‘Shirt’ (lat. camis(i)a, indusium). A Linguistic and Historical-Cultural...
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 12:05 PM
Schuster-Šewc, Heinz: The Slav Terms for ‘Shirt’ (lat. camis(i)a, indusium). A Linguistic and Historical-Cultural Examination

Lětopis Abstract 2009 1: Schuster-Šewc, Heinz: The Slav Terms for ‘Shirt’ (lat. camis(i)a, indusium). A Linguistic and Historical-Cultural Examination

The present study is concerned with the terminological history of the Slav word field for “shirt” and undertakes an analysis of the etymology of the words under consideration. It emerges from this analysis that, contrary to previous assumptions, the majority of these terms are of native Slav origin. The most widely used term is košuľa, which is not, as has been assumed up to now, based on the latin casula. The north-west Slav dialect word zgło is examined in detail, for which a new etymological meaning is presented. This examination confirms the supposition already made by O. Schrader that the terms for “shirt” are relatively new. Their etymology points at the same time to interesting historical-cultural contexts.

Go To Top