Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 186.500 Johann Sommer to nephew [Mahling] 15 Oct 1895
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 09:41 PM
186.500 Johann Sommer to nephew [Mahling] 15 Oct 1895

Waldeck, Fayette Co., Texas, Oct. 15th, 1895

Dear Nephew,

Your letter was received on Oct. 15 and it pleases me to hear that all of you are still well. As concerning my health, at the present moment I find myself rather weak, due to the baths I am taking. For the last three months I have been taking sulfur baths, with good results. It pleases me that the partition has been concluded so peaceable. You write that you are suffering a drought, which is also the case with us. This spring we had 3 months of daily rains and nobody was able to plow the fields. We had planted potatoes and they had already produced, but all rotted. Of corn we have a plenty but it is of little value and cotton is also a failure.

Dear nephew, send me the amount of my deposit at the First National Bank, La Grange, Texas. The deposit is under the name Johann Sommer, Sr. Waldeck, Fayette Co, Texas. When I receive the money I will send you a receipt.

You ask me to send you photographs of my children. That is impossible because all my children live miles away from me, 200, 60, 50, and 25 to 20 miles away. That makes visits difficult. However, from their letters I learn that all are in good health. Perhaps later visits could happen.

Many greetings to all of you. God be with you.
Johann Sommer

Dear Nephew. write me the age my deceased sister reached. Send me the letter with the deposit immediately to Waldeck, Fayette Co. Texas.

[W. Nielsen]

Waldeck, Fayette Co. Tex. Oct. 15th, 1895

Lieber Neffe,

Deinen Brief habe ich den 15 Oktober erhalten und es freut mich daß ihr noch alle gesund seid, waß meine Gesundheit anbetrifft so bin nicht wie ich es Augenblicklich mich befinde. Ich bin schwach noch von den Baden. Ich war in Schwefelbad. 3 Monate habe ich mich gebadet. Es hat mich aber gut getan. Es freut mich daß die Teilung so friedlich von statten gekommen ist. Du schreibst daß bei euch eine große Trockenheit ist. Bei uns ist eben so trocken. Dieses Frühjahr hatten wir drei Monate jeden Tag Regen und die Leute konnten nicht pflügen. Wir hatten Kartoffel gepflanzt und die hatten schon angesetzt, sind aber alle verfault. Korn haben wir genug, aber es hat keinen Wert mehr. Baumwolle ist nicht gut geraten.

Lieber Neffe, schreibe mir den Wechsel auf die First National Bank, La Grange, Texas, auf meinen Namen Johann Sommer, sen. Waldeck, Fayette Co. Texas. Wenn ich das Geld habe werde ich die Quittung schicken.

Du schreibst mir daß ich dir von meinen Kinder die Portographia schreiben soll. Das ist unmöglich. Meine Kinder sind so weit von 200 u. 60, 50. 25 bis 20 Meilen von mir entfernt daß ich sie nicht besuchen kann. So weit ich durch Briefe weiß sind alle gesund. Später kann vielleicht möglich sein.

Viele Grüße an euch alle. Gott befohlen.
Johann Sommer, sen.

Lieber Neffe, schreibe mir wie alt meine verstorbene Schwester geworden ist. Schicke du mir den Brief oder den Wechsel sofort nach Waldeck, Fayette, Co. Texas.

[W. Nielsen]

Go To Top