Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 140.510 Proft to Teinert [CHI, Repp Collection] 5 Jan 1879
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 08:43 PM
140.510 Proft to Teinert [CHI, Repp Collection] 5 Jan 1879

January 5, 1879.

Dear Mr. Teinert,

Since I have been confined to my room for several days due to a bad chill and a following cold, I thought about writing a few lines to you. The few things we need for writing was usually easily available. But, oh my! What otherwise served so well in liquid form got to be independent, or in other words, was frozen solid and that is still going on. In December, we had at that time one norther after another. On the 16th of December we had three inches of snow with pretty much cold temperatures. But we had to deal with the norther. Suddenly, on December 23, the wind came from the northeast from Kulowe, till today we had heavy snow and a thermometer reading of 14 degrees Fahrenheit. So the fun came to an end. Everything is frozen. Yes, I believe if this continues, we will in the end just have to stay in bed.

As a result of this, I had to postpone my business till tonight. What was to get better only kept getting worse. You know about my good traveling by horse drawn wagon to carry out my responsibilities in North Texas. Hopefully, as I carried out my duties this far, there will be no problems. I will not mention this further in this writing.

The Christmas holidays have passed uneventfully. On the first day, there was only one service and that with very few in attendance. More churches just closed up, having no services at all. On the Saturday after Christmas, I was in Denison where I caught that bad cold. What is mentionable about the farmers is, that due to the dry weather, little wheat or rye was planted. Therefore, their production will result in a meager harvest.

In regard to the city, sickness has become the order of the day. Also in our church life it is not much better. In the family, my wife is sick very often. Especially in the cold weather, she often has attacks of dizziness. With the exception of Dallas and Dennison, I will not be able to do any traveling this month. And next month I will change my address. I don’t have much left except my reed organ. I wanted to sell that for $250.00 which is what I paid for it. But only $115.00 was offered to me and I will have to sell it for that.

Otherwise, I will close for now with greetings to you and to you and your acquaintances.

And I wish you God’s riches blessings for the New Year.

Yours, G. A. Proft

Sherman Box 8 Texas

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

den 5ten Juni 1879

Lieber Herr Teinert,

Da ich durch eine starke Erkähltung und dan darauf folgenden Schnupfen, für einige Tage fest an das Zimmer gefesselt wurde gedachte ich auf Ihnen, ein paar Zeilen zu schreiben. Das bisgen Material, was man zum Brief schreiben gebraucht, war wohl bald herbei geschaft. Aber o weh! das sonst so dienst getreu Flüsigkeit war selbständig geworden oder mit andern Worten, sie war fest gefroren und das ging so zu. In Dezember hatten wir, von dessen Mitte, einen Norder nach den andern. Am 16ten Dez. gabe es 3 Zoll Schnee mit ziemlicher Kälte, trotz den war aber mit diesen Norder auszukommen. Plötzlich am 23 Dez. kam der Wind von N.Ost. von Kulowe ist bis heute, mit hohen Schnee geblieben Therometer 14 fahrenheit da ist es mit dem Spas zu Ende. Es erfriehrt alles, ja ich glaube wens so fort geht, so kommen noch zuletzte die Feder in Bett hinein. Ich musste in Folge mein Geschaft_ bis auf heute Abend aufschieben was aber statt besser eher schlimmer geworden ist.

Meiner Aufgabe nordlich Texas mit bespaneten Wagen, gutreisen ist ihnen bekannt. Hoffentlich auch schon, wie weit ich diesen Auftrage noch bekommen bin, sodas hier nicht von Nöthen sein wird, die Sache in diesen Schreiben weiter zu erwöhnen. Die Weinacht feiertage sind, in folge des kalten Wetter, sehr trocken abgelaufen. Nur einen Gottesdienst am ersten Tage und das noch mit sehr wenig Besuchern. Mehre Kirchen hatten gleich zugeschlosen, also war keinen Gottesdienst. Samstag nach Weinachten war ich in Denison, wo ich mir die starke Erkähltung hatte. Was nun die Farm anbelangt so ist zu bemerken, das wegen das trockene Wetter, wenig Weizen und Roggen gesäht worden ist, es deshalb auch eine schmale Ernte in diesem Produktion geben wird. Was die Stadt betrifft, so sind Crankennte ein das Tageordnung. Auch im Kirchlichen steht es nicht viel besser. In Familie: ist meine Frau sehr oft krank, besonders diese Kählte, schwind sie sehr angreifen. Reisen werd ich, mit ausnahmen Dallas und Dennison, in diesem Monat nicht machen und im nächsten Monat werde ich jedenfalls meine Addresse wechseln wo ich neben vielen andern auf mein Melodium übrig habe werden. Ich verkaufe dasselbe statt $250.00 was sein Preis war nur $115.00 das ist der Preis was mir geboten und ich werde wenn ich neue es dafuer verkaufen.

Sonnst will ich für dies mahl schliesen mit Grus an Sie die Ihrigen u. Bekannte und Gottes reichen Segen wünschen für Neuejahr.

Ihr, G. A. Proft

Sherman Box 8 Texas

[Transliterated by Ed Bernthal]

Repp, 021.1.25.jpg - 364kB

Repp, 021.2.25.jpg - 341kB

Repp, 021.3.25.jpg - 295kB

Go To Top