Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 137.471 Hanser to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 18 Dec 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 10:01 AM
137.471 Hanser to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 18 Dec 1877

Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana

18 December, 1877

Faithful, Honorable Brother in the Lord!

I am very thankful to you regarding the messages about your dear son Hermann. You will trust in me, that I will treat him with fatherly love and wisdom, as I care about him very much. It was not in vain that I tried to convince him last summer to stay with our college. I am also glad I have your permission to give him a little more money to spend. I kept a close eye on his spending money and taught him, how he needed to only buy the most important items. He is permitted to smoke, as he is 18 years old now. I also trust that he will be smoking within reason. Having given him the permission and right to smoke has made him satisfied.

So much in a hurry in order to ease your mind. I hope all will be well with him.

Cordial regards and blessing on your upcoming Holiday and New Year’s celebrations,

yours
O. Hanser.

[Translated by Margot Hendricks]

Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana

18 Dezember, 1877

Teurer, Ehrwürdiger Bruder im Herrn!

Ich bin Ihnen sehr dankbar für die Mitteilungen betreffens Ihres lieben Hermanns. Sie werden mir zutrauen, dass ich ihn mit väterlicher Liebe und Weisheit behandele, da er mir sehr liebenswert ist, und nicht umsonst habe ich letzten Sommer versucht, ihn unserer Anstalt zu erhalten. Auch dass ich in Geld ihn etwas reichlicher versehen kann, freut mich. Ich hielt ihn allerdings sehr knapp und stellte ihm vor, wie gewissenhaft er jede nicht ganz nötige Ausgabe vermeiden müsse. Das Rauchen ist ihm nun so eher gestattet, da er auch fast schon das nötige kanonische Alter hat, 18 Jahre alt. Ich habe auch das Vertrauen zu ihm, dass er sich mässig damit hält. Schon die Erlaubnis oder Recht gibt dem Knabe nun grosse Befriedigung.

Soviel in Eile zu Ihrer Beruhigung. Es wird alles gut mit ihm, das hoffe ich gewiss.

Mit herzlichem Gruss und Segenswünschen zum nahen Fest und Jahreswechsel,

Ihr
O. Hanser

[Transcribed by Margot Hendricks]

137.471.1 Hanser to Kilian.90.jpg - 148kB

137.471.2 Hanser to Kilian.90.jpg - 107kB

Go To Top