Author: Subject: 137.441 Braun to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 16 Oct 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 07:24 PM
137.441 Braun to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 16 Oct 1877

Houston, October 16, 1877
Rev. J. Kilian, Serbin

Dearly Beloved Pastor,

So now I find your letter of May 3 unanswered. Now a short letter has to be written. Your all around well-being makes me happy. During the very hot months, I was not well due to too much gall, so I could not write and nothing got done. At one time, five of my children were sick, which made much work. Theodore had the terrible cramps, and it seemed that it would stay with him forever. He was given a _____, so that he slept for two days to keep the cramps away. I forbade to give him any more. The doctor said that I was right. I myself had to be the doctor, till soon it was all of them. Samuel and Elizabeth were delirious for a long time. I had to deal with it when would get out of their beds.

I also had to spare my wife, since she was always on her feet. Already Theodore started, as well as Samuel, to turn cold and the death sweat lay on them. Legs and arms were cold and wet. Quickly then they drank wine and brandy during that sad time all week long. But thanks be to God! They got well again. For this reason, I could not come to the conference, did not write, and did not go to Synod. What concerned your situation at the conference and the Synod, all will be made right in time. Strong men do not rule very long. Pastor Maisch visited me before he went to Synod. The next day, Pastor Hofius came to visit and requested me to install Pastor Paul Roesener in Springbrook. I promised it if no other pastor could be gotten. Birkman did not come, but I received a telegram. That was Saturday at 11:00 o’clock in the morning. Quickly, I arranged a reading worship service and left at 5:00 o’clock. On October 7 the installation took place. I heard that you were not at the conference, and that the next conference will be at Pastor Grier’s.

Now, I want the next conference to be held in the spring by me in Houston and not by Grier’s. Now I am certain to be a substitute for Pastor Proft who was elected to be a delegate to Synod. If I will not be hindered by this, I will try to change the resolution of the conference by way of a circular, which certainly will be accomplished. Then I await, that you and your wife will be my guests. I did not write anything regarding the religious article. This should certainly be available from Schaeffer and Koredi in Philadelphia or in New York. I did not read “Lehre und Wehre”. I will be getting it all year long. Please let me know whether you did anything in regard to this article. How are you doing, along with your dear ones? Kindly excuse my long silence, as well as this hasty writing, since it is 11:00 o’clock and all are sleeping.

Sincere greetings to all your dear ones from all of us. Special greetings to you from,

Your devoted,
C. Braun

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

Houston Oct. 16th 1877
Rev. J. Kilian, Serbin.

Innig Geliebter Herr Pastor,

Soeben finde ich Ihren Brief vom 3. Mai unbeantwortet. Nun muß ein kleines Briefchen geschrieben werden. Ihr allerseitiges Wohlsein freut mich. Unter die ganzen heißen Monate war ich unwohl wegen zu mieten Galle, daher kein Schrieben und nichts gethan wurde. Auf einmal erkrankten fünf meiner Kinder, die gebs Arbeit. Theodor hatte schreckliche Krämpfe und ich glaubte, er würde darin bleiben für immer. Man gab ihm ein, daß er 2 Tage schlief um die Krämpfe abzuhalten. Ich verbot ihm weiter zu geben, der Doctor sagte, ich hätte recht gehabt. Habe selbst ein Doctor gemacht, bis es bald Alle war. Samuel & Elisabeth waren lange im Dilirium, ich mußte machen, denn sie verließen das Bett.

Meine liebe Frau mußt ich schonen, denn sie war immer auf den Beinen. Schon fing Theodor an so wie Samuel kalt zu werden und der Todesschweiß lag auf ihnen. Beine und Arme waren kalt und naß. Geschwind Wein oder Brandy, die traurige Zeit drunk Wochenlang. Doch Gott sei Dank! Sie sind wieder wohl. Aus diesen Grund kam ich nicht zur Conferenz, schrieb nicht, ging auch nicht zur Synode. Was Ihr Verhältniß zur Conferenz und Synode betrifft, so wird Alles recht werden mit den Zeit. Strenge Herren regieren zu nicht lange. Ihren Meinung in Ihren Briefe stimme ich Volkommen bei. Nun ruhig und Gott gelassen sein. Gott wird machen daß die Suchen und sein. P. Maisch besucht mich ehe er zur Synode ging. Am nächste Tag kam P. Hofius auf Besuch und begehrte mich zur Installe das P. Paul Roesener am Springbreck Versprach es, wenn kein Andrew Pastor zu bekommen sei. Birkmann kam nicht, so erhielt ich Telegraph. Depesche Samstag Mitt. 11 uhr. Schnell bestellte ich Lesegottes dienst und reiste um 5 uhr ab. Am 7. Okt. fand dann die Installierung statt. Hofius ließ ich predigen. Hört, das Sie nicht bei der Conferenz waren, und daß die nächste Conf. bei Past. Grier sein soll.

Nun will ich, daß die nächste Conferenz im Frühjahr bei mir in Houston und nicht bei Gerzen sein soll. Bin nun freilich Ersatzmann wann für Pas. Proft erwählt zur Delegaten Synode. Sollte mich dieses nicht hindern, so versuche ich den Beschluss der Conferenz durch ein Circular zu ändern, was sicher gelingt. Dann erwarte ich, daß Sie samt Frau Gemahl meine Gäste sind. Neben Frommes Schrift schrieb ich nicht. Diese ist sicher nur bei Schäfer und Koredi Philadi. oder in New York zu beziehen. Lehre und Wehen lese ich nicht. Will wie eben diesen ganzen Jahrgang kommen lassen. Bitte, lassen Sie mich wissen, ab Sie etwas gethan haben in Beziehung der Schrift. Wie geht es Ihren samt den lieben Ihrigen.Sie werden freundlichst mein langes Schweigen entschuldigen, so wie mein hastiges Schreiben, denn es ist 11 Uhr Nachts. Alles schläft.

Herzliche Grüße an Alle die lieben Ihrigen von uns alle. Besonders grüßt Sie Ihr ger.

C. Braun.

[Transliterated by Lisa Bardo Weidmann]

Letter 137.441.1 16 Oct 1877.40.jpg - 207kB

Letter 137.441.2 16 Oct 1877.40.jpg - 209kB

Letter 137.441.3 16 Oct 1877.40.jpg - 205kB

Letter 137.441.4 16 Oct 1877.40.jpg - 194kB

Go To Top