Author: Subject: 137.404 Hanser to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 21 Aug 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 05:16 PM
137.404 Hanser to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 21 Aug 1877

Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana

August 21,1877

Dear Brother in the Lord!

In answer to your fine letter of August 14, first of all, I want to express my thanks to you for the great confidence you have in me and my colleagues, and I assure you that we would be glad to fulfill your request for the service of love that you wish we would do for you. Only our obligations would really make this altogether impossible. With our school beginning on the first of October and Synod meeting in St. Louis at the beginning of the same month, it would be necessary that one or two of us would have to go to St. Louis and would have to miss school, which could not be done without great damage to our school and, without a doubt, would not be permitted by the Synod. As much as we would like to be of service to you, it would not be possible under these circumstances. May the Lord graciously grant you advice elsewhere.

We would be very sorry if you could not longer send Hermann, and I promise you, when he comes again, we would charge him only for the cost of the books, and we would take care of providing his clothes. So it should not cost you any more. Hermann has good abilities, and it would be a shame if he could no longer be a student. I believe too, that he used more money than was necessary, and I promise you also, in this respect, to keep a watchful eye on him.

In commending you to the grace of God, I remain with sincere greetings to you and to your fine family,

Yours In the Lord,
O. Hanser

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana

21 August 1877

Ehrwürdiger Bruder im Herrn!

In beantwortung Ihres werthe Briefes vom 14 August danke ich Ihnen vonerst für Ihr grosses Betrauen, das Sie dazugegen meine Collegen an mich ausprechen, u versehen Ihnen, das wir mit Früden Ihre Bitte erfühle u Ihnen die gewünschte Liebesdienst weisen wirden. Alleine unser Verhältnisse machen es leider ganz unmöglich. Mit vom ersten October beginnt unsere Schule u die Synode versammelt sich anfangs desselben Monate in St.Louis, da wäre es dann nöthig, das ein oder zwei von uns nach St.Louis gingen oder Schule also aussetzen müsten, was nicht ohne grösten Schade derselben geschehe könnte u gestattet werde. So gern wir Ihnen daher zu dienste wären, so geht es doch leider unter diese Umstände nicht. Der Herr solle sie andernlig gnädig berathen!

Es wäre uns sehr leid, wenn Sie Hermann nicht mehr senden würden u verspreche ich Ihnen, wenn er einstkomt, wir Ihr nur für seine Kost Bücher sorgen wollen, für seine Kleidung zusorgen. Das Ihnen dah nicht mehr kosten soll, Hermann hat sehr gute Gaben u es wäre recht Schade wenn er nicht studieren wäre. Ich glaube auch das er etwas mehr Geld gebraucht hat, als nöthig war u verspreche ich Ihnen, auch in dieser Hinsicht ein wachsammes Auge auf ihn zuhaben.

Indem ich Sie die Gnade Gottes befehle bleibe ich unter herzl. Grüsen an Sie u Ihr wehrte familie,

Ihr Im Herren
O. Hanser

[Transliterated by Ed Bernthal]

Letter 137.404.1 21 Aug 1877.25.jpg - 126kB

Letter 137.404.2 21 Aug 1877.25.jpg - 121kB

Go To Top