The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 137.200 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 15 Jun 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 03:44 PM
137.200 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 15 Jun 1877

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas 15 June 1877
To Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Dear Hermann!

Your letter of May 20 of this year has shown us that my last communication of May 4th was welcome, and that makes me happy.

On June 6 your uncle Andreas Kappler went to Giddings, because I did not have the desire to go, to obtain a money order for $35 made to Professor O. Hanser. More than $35 in paper money was not available in Serbin and Giddings. Here only silver is used in commerce.

That is why the merchant Wilh. Fr. Jr. Kessel in Serbin, at my request, ordered an exchange in Galveston on June 11, for Dr. Hanser for $40, and amount I paid him. I am now waiting receipt for both amounts.

On May 29 we celebrated the anniversary of the Formula of Concord, completed on May 29, 1577, with Wendish and German church services. I read the sermon in Wendish and German. At the close of the sermons in Wendish and German, I earnestly recommended the reading of the pamphlet “The Formula of Concord: Heart and Star by Walther.” Thereupon more than thirty copies were ordered. You brother, Gerhard, ordered 50 copies from Barthel in St. Louis.

Teacher Leubner received a call to the orphanage in St. Louis and is going there as soon as possible. And Pastor Proft is going to Sherman, Texas where a new Lutheran congregation is being formed.

The spring conference, which we 12 Lutheran pastors and 2 teachers of Texas held with Pastor Stiemke in Serbin from April 10 to 12, was stormy.

We are happy that you are again healthy. We are all still well. Also our entire congregation enjoys good health. The grasshoppers are gone and recently we had a lovely rain.

You want to visit us during the next vacation. Write us several days before your departure from Fort Wayne, about when you think you will arrive in Giddings. We want to get you from Giddings with a wagon, if we receive the day of your arrival on time.

Your mother wishes that you would bring all your clothes along, also the threadbare and torn ones, so that she can repair them, as much as possible and if it is worth it.

We, your mother and I, your brothers Gerhard and Bernard, your sister Theresia and Hulda, as well as your relatives in Serbin, look forward to seeing your face and send you hearty greetings.

With that I remain in the Lord, your father who loves you,
Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas am 15ten Juni 1877
An Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Lieber Hermann!

Dein Brief vom 20sten Mai d. J. zeigt uns an daß Dir meine letzten Zuschrift vom 4ten Mai angenehm gewesen ist, worüber ich mich freue.

Am 6ten Juni hat Dein Onkel Andreas Kappler, weil ich selbst nicht Lust hatte, nach Giddings zu gehen, eine Money Order für 35 Dollars an Herrn Prof. O. Hanser für Dich abgefertigt. Mehr Papiergeld als $35, war in Serbin und Giddings nicht zu erlangen. Bei uns, ist jetzt im Verkehr fast nur Silber im Gange.

Darum hat der Kaufmann Wilh. Fr. Jr. Kessel in Serbin auf meine Bitte einen Wechsel an Herrn Dr. Hanser für 40 Dollars, welche Summe ich an ihn auszahlte, in Galveston bestellt am 11 Juni. Ich warte nun auf den Empfangschein für beide Summen.

Am 29sten Mai haben auch wir das Jubelfest für die am 29 sten Mai 1577 vollendete Concordienformel durch Wendischer und Deutschen Gottesdienst begangen. Die Predigt habe ich in Wendischer u Deutscher Sprache gelesen. Im Schluß der Predigten habe ich den Wenden und den Deutschen die Schrift "Der Concordienformel Kern u Stern von Walther'' angelegentlich empfohlen. Es wurde darauf über 30 Exemplare bestellt.Dein Bruder Gerhard läßt von Barthel aus St. Louis 50 Exemplare kommen.

Der Lehrer Leubner ist berufen nach St. Louis ins lutherische Waisenhaus und geht ehestens dahin ab. Und Pastor Proft geht nach Sherman, Texas ab wo eine neue luth. Gemeinde sich bildet.

Die Frühjahrsconferenz, welche wir 12 Texanische lutherische Pastoren und 2 Lehrer beim Pastor Stiemke in Serbin vom 10ten bis zum 12ten April hielten, war stürmisch.

Es ist uns lieb, daß Du wieder gesund bist. Wir sind auch alle noch wohl auf. Auch unsere ganze Gemeinde erfreut sich guter Gesundheit. Die Heuschrecken sind fort u neulich hatten wir einen schönen Regen.

Du willst in den kommenden Ferien uns besuchen. Schreibe uns etliche Tage vor Deiner Abreise aus Fort Wayne, wann Du etwa in Giddings einzutreffen gedenkst. Wir wollen Dich mit Wagen in Giddings abholen, falls wir bei Zeiten den Tag Deiner Ankunft erfahren.

Deine Mutter wünscht daß Du Deine Kleider alle mit bringst, auch die abgetragenen u schadhaften damit sie, so weit es angeht u werth ist, in den Stand gesetzt werden.

Wir, Deine Mutter und ich, Deine Brüder Gerhard u Bernard, Deine Schwester Theresia und Hulda, wie auch Deine Verwandte in Serbin sehnen uns Dein Angesicht zu sehen und grüßen Dich herzlich.

Damit verbleibe ich im Herrn. Dein Dich liebender Vater Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

137.2.1 Kilian to Hermann Kilian.60.jpg - 167kB

137.2.2 Kilian to Hermann Kilian.60.jpg - 130kB

Go To Top