Author: Subject: 134.900 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 7 May 1875
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 07:57 PM
134.900 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 7 May 1875

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas 7 May 1875
To Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Dear Son!

Today a money order for you is being sent from Giddings to Professor Bischoff. You will get $50 currency. As soon as the money arrives in Fort Wayne, write me that it has arrived. I will send you more later as God provides me. I received your letter, from April 17 in which you wrote about money.

I wrote to Professor Bischoff on April 21, but I have received no answer from him. I wrote to you the same day. I expressed my wish to your professor that you would like to go to the old Pastor Wyneken in Cleveland, with whom I became acquainted in St. Louis in 1860. But now I think that it would be better if you would spend your vacation in a rural congregation near Fort Wayne. Because in the large cities there is much depravity. And I am worried that you may spend too much money and push me into new money worries. Be especially thrifty because I have become poor as a result of the Synod which installed Pastor Stiemke here. As a result I am losing many congregational members and also a portion of my income. Because I am doing everything to support you, I can direct nothing toward Bernhard. He must therefore learn farming and be neglected. He is dissatisfied but I cannot help him.

Last week Pastor Tirmenstein, the church visitor, was in Serbin until last Thursday. Those were difficult days because the young pastors in Serbin made trouble for me. On the previous Monday I invited all the gentlemen, pastors Tirmenstein, Greif, Stiemke, Proft and Hofius. There Pastor Tirmenstein and Pastor Stiemke pressured me that I must once again pressure the congregation that they should officially release those of the Teinert congregation, that now is led by Pastor Stiemke, and who wish to transfer and that they be released from their portion of our church debt. This difficult matter will most likely be brought to the Synod.

As far as we are concerned, we are still all in good health. Only your mother is occasionally sickly. We are happy that you are healthy. Theresia received the letter you wrote. We all send greetings.

You mother would like a photograph of you so she can always see you. Have your picture taken and send us a photo.

Now I commit you to the care of our faithful God and the word of his grace and remain in the Lord.

Your loving father,
Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas am 7ten Mai 1875
An Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Lieber Sohn!

Heute geht eine Money Order an Herrn Professor Bischoff für Dich von Giddings ab. Du bekommst 50 Dollars Currency. So bald das Geld in Fort Wayne angekommen sein wird, schreibe mir, daß es angelangt ist. Später will ich Dir mehr senden so Gott will und ich habe. Deinen Brief, von 17 April in dem Du um Geld schreibst habe ich empfangen.

Ich habe am 21sten April an Herrn Professor Bischoff geschrieben habe aber noch keine Antwort von ihm. An denselben Tage schrieb auch an Dich. Ich habe Dein Herrn Professor den Wünsch ausgesprochen, Du möchtest nach Cleveland zum alten Pastor Wyneken gehen, den ich im Jahre 1860 in St. Louis kennen lernte. Jetzt aber denke ich, es wäre besser wenn Du die Zeit der Ferien in der Nähe von Fort Wayne in einer Landgemeinde bliebest. Denn in der großen Städten ist großer Verderbniß. Und ich bin in Sorgen, Du möchtest zu viel Geld verthun und mich in neue Geldsorgen stürzen. Sei überhaupt sparsam, weil ich ärmer werde durch die Synode, welche den Pastor Stiemke hier angestellt hat. Dadurch verliere ich viele Gemeindeglieder und also auch einen Theil meines Einkommens. Weil ich nun zu thun habe, um Dich zu erhalten, so kann ich an Bernhard nichts wenden. Der muß also Farmerei lernen und zurückgesetzt sein. Er ist damit unzufrieden, aber ich kann ihn nicht helfen.

Vorige Woche war der Kirchenvisitator P. Tirmenstein bis zum latzten Dienstag in Serbin. Das waren schwere Tage waren die jungen Pastoren in Serbin mir Noth machen. Am vergangenen Montag hatte ich alle die Herren zu mir eingeladen, P. Tirmenstein, P. Greif, P. Stiemke, P. Proft, u P. Hofius. Da hatten mich P. Tirmenstein u P. Stiemke gedrängt und ich muß wieder meine Gemeinde drängen, daß sie die Teinertishen Gemeinde, der nun P. Stiemke vorsteht ordentlich entlassen und den zum P. Stiemke übertretenden Gemeindeglieder ihren Antheil an unserer Kirchenschuld erlassen soll. Diese schwerige Angelegenheit wird vermuthlich an die Synode kommen.

Was uns betrifft, so sind wir noch alle gesund. Nur deine Mutter ist mitunter kränklich. Wir freuen uns, daß Du immer wohl bist. Theresia hat den Brief, den Du ihr schriebst richtig erhalten. Wir grüßen Dich alle.

Deine Mutter wünscht ein Bild von Dir zu haben damit sie Dich immer sehen kann. Laß Dich also photographiren und schicke uns Dein Bild.

Nun befehle ich Dich Unsern treuen Gott und dem Wort seiner Gnade u bleibe in Herrn dem Dich lieber Vater

Johann Kilian P.

[GRN; Biar]

134.9.1 Kilian to Hermann Kilian.65.jpg - 133kB

134.9.2 Kilian to Hermann Kilian.65.jpg - 109kB

Go To Top