The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 134.500 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 11Jan 1874 [sic]
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 10:01 PM
134.500 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 11Jan 1874 [sic]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas January 11, 1874 [sic]
To Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne, Ind.

Dear Hermann!

I received your letter of December 28. There is also no sickness in the congregation. Since September 17 where the wife of Dr. Schleperrell _ . I am happy that you are hale and hearty. We are also still well. Bernhard has been home since Christmas and will remain here until Easter. Pastor Proft stands accused by his pietists for his wood working and that he has an apprentice. That is why I had to take the apprentice Bernhard, your brother, home. You will not understand this pietism, and neither do I. These people were my former tormentors earlier and they then moved to the Yegua and now they are Pastor Proft’s tormentors.

I will not send you a blanket. Rather buy a warm blanket in Fort Wayne. If you do not have enough money write when you have time. How much money is left in your account? I think that when I must send you money, I will address the money order to Professor Bischoff, your treasurer. What do you think of that? Therefore give me the precise given names of Professor Bischoff in case the money should be sent to your class instructor. Is Bischoff written with a double f? must have his exact address.

Our altar received a new altar cloth from our girls that is already paid for and which was commemorated on Christmas Eve. We are still waiting for the new baptismal font which Pastor Proft is building, and which the young men are paying for because Pastor Proft could not finish it by Christmas Eve.

Johann Urban left for St. Louis in the night between January 5 and 6. I recommended him to Professor Crämer with enclosed documentation and Pastor Grief also recommended him for me. Professor Crämer’s letter to me was dated 28 December 1874. May God be with the dear Urban, that they can make a parish pastor out of him.

I am pleased that you and the son of Pastor Köstering get along because I am well acquainted with Pastor Köstering and because our Matthes Wukasch, who corresponds with me is his school master. Hearty thanks for both of your decorated New Year’s wishes.

We have had much cold weather this new year. The festival of New Year started unpleasantly. There were few people in church. The German service was not held because of the cold, wet weather. It was the same almost until Epiphany, which was formerly called the Day of the Three Kings. After that the weather became a bit more pleasant. But on Friday toward evening another Norther rushed in and that night it was very cold and it blew through all the cracks in the wall so that we could hardly get warm in bed. Then we thought of how Hermann was doing. It froze intensely. Luckily the Norther was dry. There were few people in church yesterday. Nevertheless a Voters’ Assembly was held in the afternoon. There I presented my congregational fiscal report for 1874. Income was $926 and expenditures were $857. We still have a congregational debt of $1,000. The creditors of the congregation are Andreas Lowke with $400, Carl Lehmann with $200, myself with $200, Prellop with $150, and Bamsch with $25. That is not bad considering the church is worth $8,000. But the new Missouri Synod Pastor Stiemke was installed on the 4th Sunday of Advent in the Teinert congregation and will take away congregational members, and so we will, be weakened from without by the Missourians.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas am 11 Januar 1874 [sic]
An Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne, Ind.

Lieber Hermann!

Deinen Brief vom 28sten December empfing ich richtig. Ich freue mich, daß Du noch gesund und munter bist. Wir sind auch mehr noch alle wohl. Auch in der Gemeinde ist keine Krankheit. Seit dem 17ten September, wo die Frau Doctor Schlepenrell ereignete sich kein __fall. Bernhard ist seit Weihnachten zu Hause u. bleibt hier bis Ostern. Dem Pastor Proft beschuldigen seine Frommen, daß er im Holze arbeite und einen Lehrjungen habe. Darum mußte ich den Lehrjungen Berhnard, Deinen Bruder, nach Hause nehmen. Diese Frömmigkeit wirst Du nicht begreifen, ich verstehe sie auch nicht. Diese Leute waren früher meine Peiniger, dann sind sie an die Jegua gezogen und sind nun die Peiniger das Pastors Proft.

Ein Blanket will ich Dir nicht schicken. Kaufe Dir lieber ein warm Blanket in Fort Wayne. Fehlts aber an Geld, so schreibe mir bei Zeiten. Wie viel Geld ist noch in Deiner Kasse? Ich denke, wenn ich Dir einmal Geld schicken muß, die Money - Oder an Herrn Professor Bischoff Deinen Kassenführer zu adressiren.Was sagst du dazu? Gib mir darum die Vornamen des Herrn Professor's Bischoff ganz genau an, falls das Geld an diesen Deinen Herrn Klassenlehrer gesandt werden soll. Wird "Bischoff" mit ff geschrieben? Ich muß seine Adresse ganz richtig haben.

Unser Altar hat durch unsere Mädchen ein neues Altartuch bekommen, das bereits bezahlt ist und zur Christnacht, welche feierlich begangen wurde, aufgelegt ist. Den neuen Taufstein, den P. Proft arbeitet und den unsere jungen Burschen bezahlen, sollen wir noch bekommen, weil ihn P. Proft zur Chrisnacht nicht fertig machen konnte.

Johann Urban ist in der Nacht vom 5 zum 6ten Januar nach St. Louis abgegangen. Ich habe ihn an Professor Crämer empfohlen mit beigelegten Zeugnissen und auch P. Greif hatte ihn vor mir empfohlen. Darum steht seiner Aufnahme nichts entgegen, wie mir Professor Crämer schrieb. Prof. Crämer's Brief an mich ist vom 28 Decbr 1874. Gott sei mit den lieben Urban, daß ein praktisch gebildeter Pastor aus ihm werde.

Daß Du mit den Sohn des Pastor Köstering gut stehst, freut mich, weil der Pastor Köstering mir sehr bekannt ist und weil unser Matthes Wukasch, der mit mir in Briefwechsel steht, sein Schulmeister ist. Großen dank sagen wir Dir für Deinen beiden decorirten Neujahrs Wünsche.

Wir haben in diesem neuen Jahre viel Kälte. Das Neujahrs fest fing unangenehm an. Ich hatte wenig Leute in der Kirche. Deutscher Gottesdienst fand nicht statt des naßkalten Wetters wegen. Eben so war es am dem Erscheinungsfest, das man den Dreikönigstag zu nennen pflegt. Dann wurde das Wetter etwas freundlicher. Aber Freitags gegen Abend kam ein neuer Norder angesaust, der in der Nacht sehr kalt wurde und durch alle Ritzen der Wände hineinpfiff so daß wir uns kaum im Bette erwärmen konnten. Da dachten wir wie mag es den Hermann gehen? Es fror gewaltig. Ein Glück aber war es, daß der Norder trocken kam. Gestern hatte ich wenig Leute in der Kirche. Dennoch wurde am Nachmittag Gemeindeversammlung gehalten. Da legte ich meine Kirchrechnung von Jahre 1874 ab. Die Einnahme war 926 Dollars, die Ausgaben 857 Dollars. Wir haben nun noch 1000 Dollars Kirchenschuld. Die Gläubigen der Gemeinde sind Andreas Lowke mit 400 Dollars, Carl Lehmann mit 200 D, ich mit 200 Dollars, Prellop mit 150 Dollars u. Bamsch mit 25 D. Es steht mit uns also nicht schlimmer denn der Kirche 8000 Dollars werth. Aber der neue Missourische Pastor Stiemke der am 4 Advent in der Teinertschen Gemeinde eingeführt wurde, nimmt mir Gemeinglieder weg u so werden wir durch die Missouriern _ von außen Geschwächt. [end of document]

[GRN;Biar]

[Original document not available]

Go To Top