Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 109.700 Bünger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 16 Dec 1869
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 09:43 PM
109.700 Bünger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 16 Dec 1869

St. Louis, December 16, 1869

Honorable, beloved Office-brother:

Just as I had answered your first letter of November 9th of this year, today I received another from December 1st. I now let the first answer lie and send an answer to your last letter. From the same, I now see to my sorrow, that it is resolved by you, that the congregation must divide and you will go with the separatists. Is then no more actual reconciliation possible? You complain about the followers of Spener in your congregation [Philipp Spener is known as the "Father of German Pietism“] wanting to erect a church within the church. But my dear Pastor, what was then the inner and outer congregation, -- their uniting with you are yet always not content and from which you derive the trouble? Was that not also to some extent a church within a church?

They complain about the rule of one party over a papacy that is not to be tolerated. But the ruling party is still the majority; the reasonable manner is to decide in the midground and so also to have the rule. From the position of the presidium, no thought of separation is considered, much less turn out as such. The entire congregation is your congregation and should remain your congregation. You are the called Pastor by God of the entire congregation. I would seriously counsel the majority, for the sake of the love and peace, to back away from their decision this time. I would also do it. Of course they say it is to stimulate [growth], the congregation would itself become thin if they remain together, and I must believe you. If it also stands true and you are the true overseer it will lead to peace, if the separatists set up a separate congregation and build a church 2 miles from Serbin – although I do not recommend a division – so I ask you for God’s sake, that truly in peace such a separation go before you and not to degenerate into a schism.

For the benefit of the people, law is the last resort. That is the constitution of the [United] States and also the Synod of Missouri. But I fear, I fear, that the congregation will stand against each other and then, as it is true, the evil becomes a scandal. What an opposition congregation brings about for offense and misery, we have already experienced many times, and I myself, you have also experienced it. I yet recall, how you rejoiced that your previous opposition congregation came back again.

I naturally do not have a Preacher to give, he must be called. And if you do not give your consent, that the Germans can call their own Pastor, I will absolutely not engage in the call and installation of a Pastor. I look upon the entire congregation as your congregation that has been entrusted to you by God. But one congregation can have more Pastors and each Pastor serve a recognized District, even as it is also with us in St. Louis. Do you not truly believe, my dear Pastor, that we lay all weight on the 7 points. We stand, God be praised, yet in the center of the justification through faith in Jesus Christ. But, when the devil grabs part of the teaching, those who belong to the periphery, then we must also fight against it.

Right blessed holiday for heart, house, and congregation I desire for you, also that from you will be sung with all joy the Christmas hymn: "Joy to the World“!

In brotherly high regard and love,
Your humble, J. F. Buenger
[President of the Western District 1863-1874]

[H. Melvin Symmank]

St. Louis, den 16. Dec. 1869.

Ehrwürdiger, geliebter Herr Amtsbruder,

Eben hatte ich Ihren l. Brief vom 9. Nov., d. J., beantwortet, als heute ein anderer ankam vom 1. Dec. Ich lasse nun die erste Antwort liegen und schicke mich an, Ihren letzten Brief zu beantworten. Aus demselben ersehe ich nun zu meiner Betrübniß, daß es bei Ihnen fest steht, die Gemeinde müsse sich trennen und Sie werden mit den Wenden gehen. Ist denn wirklich keine Aussöhnung mehr möglich? Sie klagen über die Spenerianer in Ihrer Gemeinde, die eine ecclesiola in ecclesia aufrichten wollen. Aber, mein theurer Herr Pastor, was war denn die innere und äußere Gemeinde, mit deren Vereinigung Sie immer noch nicht zufrieden sind und von welcher Sie das Unheil herleiten? War das nicht auch gewissermaßen eine ecclesia in ecclesia?

Sie klagen über das Herrschen einer Partei über ein Papstthum, das nicht zu ertragen sei. Die herrschende Partei ist aber doch die Majorität, die billiger Weise in Mitteldingen zu entscheiden und also auch zu herrschen hat. Von Seiten des Praesidii wird an keine Trennung gedacht, viel weniger eine solche gerathen. Die ganze Gemeinde ist Ihre Gemeinde und soll Ihre Gemeinde bleiben. Sie sind der von Gott berufene Pastor der ganzen Gemeinde. Ich würde der Majorität ernstlich rathen, um der Liebe und des Friedens willen von ihrem Beschluß dieß Mal abzugehen. Ich werde es auch thun. Sie sagen freilich, es sei zu befürchten, die Gemeinde werde sich aufzehren, wenn sie zusammen bleibe, und ich müsse das Ihnen glauben. Wenn es also wirklich so steht und Sie der gewissen Ueberzeugung sind, es werde zum Frieden führen, wenn die Wenden eine separate Gemeinde aufrichten und 2 Meilen von Serbin eine Kirche bauen – obschon ich zu keiner Trennung rathe –: so bitte ich Sie um Gottes willen, daß wirklich in Frieden solche Trennung vor sich gehe und nicht zu einem Schisma ausarte.

Salus populi suprema lex esto! Das ist das Symbolum des Staates und auch der Synode von Missouri. Aber ich fürchte, ich fürchte, daß die Gemeinden einander gegenüberstehen werden und dann das Uebel ärger wird, als es war. Was Oppositionsgemeinden für Sünde und Jammer anrichten, haben wir schon vielfältig erfahren und ich meine, Sie haben es auch erfahren. Ich erinnere mich noch, wie Sie sich freuten, daß Ihre frühere Oppositionsgemeinde wieder zurückkam.

Einen Prediger habe ich natürlich nicht zu geben, der muß berufen werden. Und wenn Sie Ihre Zustimmung nicht ertheilen, daß die Deutschen einen eigenen Pastor berufen können, werde ich mich mit der Berufung und Einsetzung eines Pastors durchaus nicht befassen. Ich sehe eben die ganze Gemeinde als Ihre Gemeinde an, die Ihnen von Gott anvertraut ist. Aber eine Gemeinde kann mehrere Pastoren haben und jeder Pastor einen gewissen District versorgen, wie es eben gerade auch bei uns in St. Louis ist. Glauben Sie ja nicht, mein theurer Herr Pastor, daß wir auf die 7 Puncte alles Gewicht legen. Wir stehen, Gott sei Dank, noch im Centrum der Rechtfertigung durch den Glauben an Jesum Christum. Aber wenn der Teufel Stücke der Lehre angreift, die zur Peripherie gehören, so müssen wir auch da gegen kämpfen.

Recht gesegnete Feiertage für Herz, Haus, Gemeinde wünsche ich Ihnen, auch daß von Ihnen allen mit Freuden das Weihnachtslied gesungen werde: „Und Frieden auf Erden“!

In brüderlicher Hochachtung und Liebe
Ihr ergebener J. F. Bünger.

[Christian Symmank]

Letter 109.7.1 16 Dec 1869.50.jpg - 391kB

Letter 109.7.2 16 Dec 1869.50.jpg - 384kB

Letter 109.7.3 16 Dec 1869.50.jpg - 360kB

Letter 109.7.4 16 Dec 1869.50.jpg - 404kB

Go To Top