Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 106.300 Bünger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 2 Feb 1869
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-29-2015 at 10:15 PM
106.300 Bünger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 2 Feb 1869

St. Louis, 2nd February 1869

Honorable and Steadfast Brother!

Finally I find time to report to you that I have received the $150 in gold or $202.50 courant (coins of the present days). Kauffmann & Co. in Galveston had it set at $202.50. I am happy with that, meaning, you can be satisfied with it. I could not have received .35 Agio (money) here in St. Louis. Generally a larger sum is demanded, when you exchange gold than you receive, when you buy gold.

I had taken the money with me on two occasions to the lower part of the city, in order to settle your bills with Bartel & Lange. One time I did not meet these gentlemen, the other time they did not have their books at hand. I have taken care of the following bills and still have to take care of: $202.50

1. Collection for the hospital $35.00 in gold……….$47.25
2. To Mr. Bartel according to the bill……………………$27.00
3. To Mr. Lange according to the bill……………………$43.50
Sub total…...............................................……$117.75
Remaining monies for your son.….………………………$84.75
Total………............................................………..$202.50

The bill for the collection will be reported in the “Lutheraner”. Please share with your congregation our heartfelt thanks. We did not expect such a generous amount of money. Did you place Lazarus in front of your congregation’s feet? As a result your people gave a large good will offering.

The money for your son I might be able to deliver myself. I will need to travel to a place near the seminary for a visit. Or, I will buy a money order.

I understand you do not have to teach school anymore, because Mr. Leubner regained his health. It would be a great burden for you to teach school, give confirmation lessons, and preach in two languages. The Lord keeps you strong. I imagine you are around my age? I just turned 60 years old. I would not be able to do all that work. But I praise the Lord for giving me the strength to follow my pastoral duties.

May he also bless me to be able to work to the last day of my life. Pastoral life in America is much harder than in Germany. Our dear Wyneken once answered a congregation, which had asked what to do with the pastor, when he is old or sick and cannot fulfill his pastoral duties. “You go about it as you do with a useless horse. You leave them to their fate.” He criticized the congregation for its stinginess. The Lord may bless our end through Jesus Christ. Amen

Please give my regards to you and your family and also to Mr. Leubner, the teacher, and his friendly host, Mr. Wukasch, whom I know.

In brotherly love and respectfully, yours humble
J. F. Bünger

[Translated by Margot Hendricks]

St. Louis, 2te Februar 1869

Ehrwürdiger, Wortfester Herr Amtsbruder!

Endlich komme ich dazu, Ihnen die Meldung zu machen, dass der Wechsel auf $150.00 in Gold oder auf $202.50 in Kurant richtig in meine Hände gekommen ist. Er war von Kauffmann & Co. in Galveston schon auf $202.50 Kurant gestellt. Damit kann ich wohl zufrieden sein, oder eigentlich können Sie damit wohl zufrieden sein. Ich hätte nicht 35 cents Agio (Wechsel) hier erhalten. Es wird gewöhnlich eine grössere Summe gefordert, wenn man Gold einwechselt, als man erhält, wenn man Gold kauft.

Zwei mal hatte ich das Geld mit hinunter genommen in die untere Stadt, um bei Bartel und Lange Ihre Rechnung in Ordnung zu bringen. Aber einmal traf ich die Herren nicht, das andere Mal hatten sie die Bücher nicht bei der Hand und so weiter. Ich habe nun folgende Zahlungen gemacht und noch zu machen: $202.50

1. die Kollekte für das Hospital $35.00 in Gold............... $47.25
2. an Herrn Bartel laut Quittung....................................$27.00
3. an Herrn Lange laut Quittung....................................$43.50
Sa...........................................................................$117.75
Also bleibt für Ihren Herrn Sohn....................................$84.75
Summe....................................................................$202.50

Die Quittung für die Kollekte wird nächstens im “Lutheraner” erscheinen. Sagen Sie der lieben Gemeinde für diese Kollekte unseren herzlichsten Dank. Eine so reichliche Kollekte hatten wir nicht erwartet. Sie haben gewiss den armen Lazarus vor die Füsse Ihrer Gemeindeglieder gelegt, und man hat sich seiner erbarmt.

Das Geld für Ihren Herrn Sohn kann ich vielleicht selbst überbringen. Ich werde wohl zu einer Visitation in die Nähe des Seminars reisen müssen. Sonst kaufe ich einen Wechsel.

Sie sind also die Schule wieder los, da Herr Leubner gesund geworden ist. Das wäre auch eine zu grosse Last, täglich Schule halten, und auch Konfirmandenunterricht geben,und in zwei Sprachen predigen. Der Herr stärkt Sie wunderbar. Sie sind doch wohl in meinem Alter? Ich habe jetzt das 60. Lebensjahr angetreten. Aber ich könnte keine solche Arbeiten mehr durchsetzen. Doch danke ich dem Herrn, dass er mir noch so viel Kräfte verleiht, meine Amtsgeschäfte ausrichten zu können.

Er wolle mir auch die Gnade verleihen, bis an mein Ende arbeiten zu können. In Amerika das Gnadenbrot essen ist viel härter als in Deutschland. Unser lieber Wyneken antwortete einmal einer Gemeinde, die da fragte, was man mit dem Pastor anfange, wenn er wegen Alter oder Krankheitsfall nicht mehr amtieren könne. “Man macht es mit dem Prediger wie mit den unbrauchbaren Pferden. Man überlässt dieselben ihrem Schicksal“. Er geisselte damit den Geiz der Gemeinde. Gott gebe uns ein seliges Ende durch Jesum Christum. Amen.

Grüsssen Sie die lieben Ihrigen unbekannterweise und Herrn Lehrer Leubner und seinen freundlichen Wirt, Herrn Wukasch, bekannterweise.

In brüderlicher Liebe und Hochachtung, Ihr ergebener
J. F. Bünger

[Transcribed by Margot Hendricks]

Letter 106.3.1 2 Feb 1869.25.jpg - 104kB Letter 106.3.2a 2 Feb 1869.25.jpg - 111kB Letter 106.3.3a 2 Feb 1869.25.jpg - 116kB Letter 106.3.4a 2 Feb 1869.jpg - 113kB

Go To Top