Author: Subject: 104.900 Buenger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 26 Oct 1868
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 10:19 AM
104.900 Buenger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 26 Oct 1868

26 October 1868
Saint Louis, Missouri

To my beloved reverend brother in Christ,

First I have to inform you that I have received the prime amount of $176.61 from Kaufmann and Company in Galveston. The exchange has been paid out and accepted. The enclosed receipt shows that I have paid Mr. Barthel $83.30 for the cost of the books and $15.21 for the balance (or profit). The invoice is going to be calculated as:
Received through Pastor Kilian $176.61
From that it is broken down as follows:
1.To Director Lindemann for Mr. Leubner’s trip from Addison to Serbin $16.00
2.To Leubner for his needs in St. Louis 7.00
3.To Leubner for travel here to Serbin 55.00
4.To Mr. Barthel 98.51
5. The cost to send a money order to Director Lindemann .10
Total Sum $176.61

Of the money given to Mr. Leubner I am uncertain if I gave him $7 or if it was only $5. If I only gave him $5, then I will make good the remaining $2.

For the entire ordination process I offer you my deepest thanks and at the same time I also extend thanks for the detailed descriptions of your actions and the news of your obligatory sermon. I agree entirely with you that Pastor Zimmermann is looked at as more than just a missionary. Certainly much of it depends on how he is able to remain calm himself. From that will determine if our other preachers from Missouri follow him to Texas. Also, if not, should the Texas Synod through the Missouri Synod fail like Pastor Braun says, then it should possibly become reformed through the Missouri Synod. When are you likely going to call Pastor Zimmermann and Pastor Braun together for a conference? That would be very healing. Should a pastor in Texas at his ordination offer testimony of some sort regarding the performance of (Capitation?)?

Our Synod Seal has become misplaced. Hence, an ordination testimonial cannot be immediately issued. I have still not had an opportunity to submit your letter to our (associates?) Walther and Fick, but it should happen very soon. The ordination report has been delivered to the editors of “The Lutheran” and is probably going to appear in the next issue. It would be entirely proper for you, my dear brother, to state your differences again in your work within the congregation. The Holy Ghost has placed you as Bishop of this congregation, and has especially chosen you, like you said, in your ordination sermon to preach the word of temptation and to bless your church members. This then is the chief purpose of your ministerial office. In external matters of congregational affairs, the best recommendations are presented and then abided to by the decision of the majority. If someone wants to force one’s opinion on others, it will often cause hurt and resentment. With adults one just does not go around others like one does with children. I really wanted to grant you a peaceful place in your later years, only now I do not know how the Wendish congregation in Serbin can provide that. In any case, it is important that one of the Wendish Synod preachers be called. Do you know Pastor Sommer? From what I’ve heard he is also a Wend. He is located in Baltimore. You could probably make some discreet inquiries about him to find out if he has a good command of the Wendish language and could actually preach in it. As far as I know he probably has a desire to seek a change in location. I am, by no means, taking up the evil pouring out of their hearts. I am pleased that you are so open and I would like to be able to answer all of your considerations. For now, God is in command. Extend my greetings to Mr. Leubner. I am going to write to him in the near future. From what I hear your son, Gerhard, has a good reputation.

The Lord be with you and yours,
J. F. Bünger

[On the edge of the second page] Please excuse my haste with which this letter is written. I wanted for you to get this bill so you would not have to worry about it. B.

[Translated by Joel R. Meador]

St. Louis, den 26. Oct. 1868.

Ehrwürdiger, geliebter Bruder in dem HErrn!

Zuerst habe ich Ihnen zu melden, daß ich durch Herrn Kaufmann & Co. in Galveston die Prima auf $176.61 erhalten habe. Der Wechsel ist auch acceptirt und ausgezahlt worden. Die beifolgende Quittung zeigt, daß ich an Herrn Barthel die Schuld für Bücher $83.30 und den Ueberschuß $15.21 bezahlt habe. Die Rechnung wird sich nun also gestalten:
Erhalten durch Herrn Pastor Kilian $176.61
Davon abgegeben
1. An den He. Dir. Lindemann zur Reise des He. Leubner von Addison bis St. Louis $16.00
2. An Leubner für Bedürfnisse in St. Louis $7.00
3. An Leubner zur Reise von hier bis Serbin $55.00
4. An Herrn Barthel $98.51
5. Für eine Moneyordre, um die 16 Doll. an Dir.
Lindemann zu schicken $00.10
Sa $176.61

Wegen 2 Dollars bin ich etwas in Zweifel, ob ich wirklich Herrn Leubner 7 Doll. oder nur 5 Doll. gegeben habe. Sollte er nur 5 Dollars erhalten haben: so haben Sie bei mir 2 Dollars gut.

Für die vollzogene Ordination des jungen P. Zimmermann sage ich Ihnen meinen herzlichsten Dank, zugleich auch für die ausführliche Beschreibung dieser Handlung und die Mittheilung Ihrer gehaltenen Predigt. Sie wird zunächst freilich aufgehoben werden. Ich stimme ganz mit Ihnen überein, daß P. Z. sich mehr als Missionar ansehe. Gewiß liegt sehr viel daran, wie er sich verhält. Davon wird es abhängen, ob uns unsere Prediger aus Missouri ihm nach Texas folgen. Wenn auch nicht die Texassynode durch die Missourisynode, wie P. Braun sagt, gestürzt werden soll, so sollte sie doch durch die Missourisynode reformirt werden. Wann werden Sie, P. Zimmermann u. P. Braun wohl zuweilen conferenziren? Das möchte sehr heilsam sein. Hat denn ein Pastor in Texas ein Ordinationszeugniß nöthig, etwa wegen der Verrichtung von Capitationen?

Unser Synodalsiegel ist verlegt worden. Daher kann nicht sogleich ein Ordinationszeugniß ausgestellt werden. Noch habe ich keine Gelegenheit gehabt, Ihre Briefe unseren l. Walther und Fick vorzulegen. Es soll aber nächstens geschehen. Der Ordinationsbericht ist an die Redaction des „Lutheraners“ abgegeben worden und wird wohl in nächster Nummer erscheinen. Das ist ganz recht, mein theurer Herr Amtsbruder, daß Sie sich bei Mißhelligkeiten in der Gemeinde wieder an Ihren Beruf halten. Der h. Geist hat Sie zum Bischof dieser Gemeinde gesetzt; und hat Sie besonders dazu gesetzt, wie Sie auch in der Ordinationspredigt sagen, das Wort von der Versuchung zu predigen und Ihre Kirchkinder selig zu machen. Das ist denn doch der Hauptzweck des h. Predigtamtes. In äußerlichen Gemeindeangelegenheiten stellt man das Beste vor und überläßt dann die Entscheidung der Majorität. Will man mit seiner Meinung durchdringen, so richtet man oft Schaden an und erbittert. Mit großen Kindern geht man eben auch nicht anders um, als mit Kleinen. Gern wollte ich Ihnen auch in Ihren alten Tagen ein ruhigeres Plätzchen gönnen; aber ich weiß nur nicht, wie die wendische Gemeinde in Serbin versorgt werden kann. Es müßte doch jedenfalls ein der wendischen Synode wichtiger Prediger dahin berufen werden. Kennen Sie P. Sommer? Soviel ich gehört habe, soll das auch ein Wende sein. Derselbe steht bei Baltimore. Sie könnten wohl einmal gelegentlich bei demselben anfragen, ob er der wendischen Sprache mächtig sei und darin predigen könne. Soviel ich weiß, hatte er wohl auch ein Verlangen nach einer Veränderung. Ganz und gar nicht nehme ich Ihre Herzensergießungen übel auf. Ich freue mich, daß Sie so offen sind, und möchte Ihnen nur auch recht ordentlich auf alle Ihre Bedenken antworten können. Für jetzt Gott befohlen. Grüßen Sie Herrn Leubner. Ich werde nächstens auch an ihn schreiben. Ihr Sohn Gerhard hat ein gutes Lob, wie ich höre.

Der HErr sei mit Ihnen und Ihrem
J. F. Bünger

[On the edge of the second page] Entschuldigen Sie freundlich meine Eile, mit der dieser Brief geschrieben ist. Ich wollte doch endlich Ihnen den Empfang des Wechsels kund thun, daß Sie aus der Sorge kommen. B.

[Transliterated by Christian Symmank]

Letter 104.9.1 26 Oct 1868.25.jpg - 228kB

Letter 104.9.2 26 Oct 1868.25.jpg - 234kB

Go To Top