The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 072.000 Kilian to Schurmann [Australischer Christenbote February 1861], 22 Aug 1860
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 10:32 PM
072.000 Kilian to Schurmann [Australischer Christenbote February 1861], 22 Aug 1860

Wendish Settlement, Cunningham
Bastrop County, Texas 22 Aug. 1860

Dear colleague,

What you in your correspondence related of your internal and external conditions is a hard-luck story going throughout the entire Evangelical Lutheran church. Therefore it is instructive for one area to know what is going on in another area, and the consolation that comes with it is this: You are not alone. That is the way it is. "Know that the very sufferings extend over all your fellows in the world (I Peter 5:9). If the devil cannot destroy the church through persecution, he tries it through party division. But it is difficult to proceed happily and on the narrow path between Caiaphas and Pilate, between Pharisees and Sadducees, between Jews and Greeks (I Cor. 1:22, 23) between Roman Catholics and unionists, especially in our days, when the pressure is so strong on both sides. The Methodist legalism in many ways is similar to the Roman Catholic. And yet our separatist leader U[rban] recently said: before he would return to us, he would go to the Methodists. On the other side the recklessness regarding teaching and way of life is so shocking that one almost would like to grant the zealots that they get onto their self-selected way of activities and overacting, if only exhaustion would not follow after every exertion, and if Christ would not be lost through the Galatian legalism (Gal. 5:4) as well as through prevailing carelessness and viciousness. But what concerns me especially in relation to the parties, which as everyone well knows the congregation at Corinth already endured, is that which I already touched on in my previous letter to you. I mean the important difference between specific gifts of the Spirit and the fruits of the Spirit. Special gifts of the Spirit are such gifts that only a few people have. Such gifts are specifically that of being an Apostle, being a prophet, being a teacher, being a miracle worker; having the gift of healing, the gift of ruling, the gift of understanding various languages, (I Cor. 12:28-30) to prophecy in the name of Jesus, to drive out devils in the name of Jesus and to do many deeds in the name of Jesus (Matth. 7:22) etc. Now Jesus does not say, by their gifts you should recognize them but he says by their fruits you should recognize them. And many who received the gifts will be considered as evildoers because they have not brought forth good fruit. (Matthew 7:19, 23) It is possible also for someone to physically possess many of the marvelous gifts of God, which are listed in the 4th petition as daily bread, but one cannot recognize the true value of the person by his possession, but rather how he uses the gifts so that they produce fruit. David prays, Lord save my soul from the people of your hand (Ps. 17:13, 14). So the special gifts only turn out to be sheep’s clothes, if the owner of the same does not provides fruits of the spirit. The sheepskin itself indeed is something good. So the gifts of the Spirit also are truly good; they show themselves in each person for the common good (I Cor. 12:7), but they do not help the possessor of the gifts if he himself is false, as Balaam and Caiaphas were. Therefore one should recognize true prophets and false prophets not by their special gifts but by their fruits. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, meekness, chastity (Gal. 5:22). These fruits do not make unrest and form sects, with such fruitful trees it is very easy to get along with. But the bad fruits of rotten trees are identified by Dr. Luther in the Church sermons as follows: "We indeed see what kind of horrors exist where there is no love; namely that there are proud, jealous, pompous, impatient, erroneous, roguish, resentful, suspicious, wicked, mocking, embittered, envious, distrustful, selfish, scornful people. Such evil fruits are often found especially in those who have the greatest gifts. How else could people, who prophecy in the name of Jesus, drive out devils, do many marvelous things, still get lost at the same time? And how else could the poor tax collector go to his house justified rather than the gifted Pharisee? (Luke 18:10-14) With the aforesaid one compare, among various others, the following passages: Ephes. 4:1-3; Phil. 2:1-4; Col. 3:12-16. In the last passage it reads: "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom." When now someone through the Spirit is given the gift to speak in all wisdom, to another to speak about Knowledge, to another faith, to another the gift of healing, to another performing miracles, to another prophesying, to another to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of languages, and to another to interpret the tongues (I Cor. 12:8-10), so surely those gifts were given, for the reason that the fruits of the Spirit, which were named, should emerge. But if people pursue special gifts and praise those who have been gifted and call on them, as if those gifted persons were something special; or when the gifted persons use their particular gifts in order to make a sensation or to win sectarian followers, then the wisdom is lacking in which the word of Christ should dwell richly among the Christians.

Because that is certainly not the purpose of the special gifts, that one should boast of them and that thereby Christendom should be dissolved into sects as it happened in Corinth where one said “I belong to Paul, another to Apollo, a third, to Cephas, and the fourth, I am Christ's.” There one became infatuated with himself in his gifts and so the gifts of the Spirit got left out. So Paul, having spoken of special gifts in the 12th chapter of the 1st letter to Corinthians makes the transition to the famous 13th chapter with the words "And I would like to show you an even more excellent way." That divisions, self-conceit, the man-made doctrines etc. are not the more excellent way, that Paul shows everyone will read by himself from the 13th chapter. Our Lord Jesus says in Matthew 18:3, "Truly I say to you unless you turn and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

John Kilian, Pastor

[GRN,Christian Symmank]

Wendische Ansiedlung, Cunningham,
Bastrop County, Texas, 22 Aug. 1860

Geliebter Amtsbruder!

Was Sie in Ihrem Schreiben von Ihrem innern und äußern Ergehen erzählen, ist eine durch die ganze evangelisch-lutherische Kirche gehende Leidensgeschichte. Darum ist für den einen Theil das so belehrend, was im andern Theile sich begiebt. Und der Trost, der darin liegt, ist er: Du bist's nicht allein, dem es so geht. "Wisset, daß eben dieselbigen Leiden über eure Brüder in der Welt gehen" (I Pet 5,9). Kann der Teufel die Kirche nicht durch Verfolgungen stören, so versucht er es durch Rotterei. Es ist aber schwer, auf dem schmalen Pfade, zwischen Caiaphas und Pilatus, zwischen Pharisäern und Sadducäern, zwischen Juden und Griechen (I Cor. 1, 22, 23), zwischen Romanisten und Unionisten glücklich und unversehrt fortzukommen, zumal in unsern Tagen, wo das Gedränge nach beiden Seiten hin so stark ist. Die methodistische Gesetzlichkeit ist der römisch-katholischen in vieler Beziehung ähnlich. Und doch hat unser Separaristenführer U.[rban] ohnlängst gesagt: Ehe er zu uns zurückkehrte, ginge er zu den Methodisten. Auf der andern Seite ist die Leichfertigkeit in Lehre und Wandel erschrecklich groß, so daß man es Eiferern fast zu gute halten möchte, daß sie auf selbsterwählte Wege des Treibens und Uebertreibens gerathen, wenn nur nicht auf jede Anspannung eine Abspannung folgte und wenn durch eine galatische Gesetztreiberei nicht Christus ebensowohl verloren würde (Gal. 5,4), als durch herrschende Leichtfertigkeit und Lasterhaftigkeit. Was mich aber in Beziehung auf die Rotterei, unter welcher bekanntlich schon die apostolische Gemeinde zu Corinth gelitten hat, besonders beschäftigt, ist das, was ich in meinem letzten Briefe an Sie bereits berührte. Ich meine den wichtigen Unterschied zwischen besondern Gaben des Geistes und den Früchten des Geistes.Besondre Gaben des Geistes sind solche Gaben, die nur einzelne Personen haben Solche Gaben sind namentlich: ein Apostel sein, ein Prophet sein, ein Lehrer sein, ein Wundertäter sein, die Gabe, gesund zu machen, die Regiergabe, die Gabe, mancherlei Sprachen zu verstehen (I Cor. 12, 28-30), im Namen Jesu weissagen, im Namen Jesu Teufel austreiben, im Namen Jesu viele Thaten thun (Matth. 7, 22) u. s. w. Nun sagt Jesus nicht, an ihren Gaben sollt ihr sie erkennen, sondern er sagt: An ihren Früchten sollt ihr sie erkennen. Und viele Begabte werden vor ihm als Uebelthäter weichen müssen, weil sie nicht gute Früchte gebracht haben (Matth. 7, 19. 23). Es kann ja jemand auch im Leiblichen viele der herrlichen Gottesgaben besitzen, die in der vierten Bitte als tägliches Brot aufgeführt sind; aber an ihrem Besitze erkennt man den wahren Werth des Menschen nicht, sondern daran, wie er die Gaben anwendt, daß sie fruchten. David bittet: Herr, errette meine Seele von den Leuten deiner Hand (Ps. 17, 13. 14). Somit machen die besondern Gaben den Schafspelz aus, wenn der Besitzer derselben nicht auch Früchte des Geistes bringt. Der Schafspelz ist ja an sich etwas Gutes. So sind auch die Gaben des Geistes wahrhaftig gut; sie erzeigen sich in einem Jeglichen zum gemeinen Nutzen (I Cor. 12, 7), aber sie helfen dem Besitzer derselben nichts wenn er falsch ist, wie Bileam und Caiaphas es waren. Darum soll man wahre Propheten und falsche Propheten nicht an ihren besondern Gaben, sondern an ihren Früchten erkennen. Die Frucht des Geistes aber ist Liebe, Freude, Friede, Geduld, Freundlichkeit, Gütigkeit, Glaube, Sanftmuth, Keuschheit (Gal. 5, 22). Diese Früchte machen keinen Rumor und keine Secten, es ist mit solchen fruchtbaren Bäumen sehr gut auszukommen. Die argen Früchte fauler Bäume aber zeigt Dr. Luther in der Kirchenpostille also an: "Wir sehen ja, was für Greuel da sind, wo die Liebe nicht ist, nämlich daß es hoffärtige, neidische, aufgeblasene, ungeduldige, irrige, schalkhaftige, giftige, argwöhnische, boshaftige, höhnische, bittere, abgünstige, misstrauische, eigennützige, verächtliche Leute sind." So schlimme Früchte finden sich oft grade an denen, die die größten Gaben haben. Wie könnten sonst Leute, die im Namen Jesu weissagen, Teufel austreiben und viele Thaten thun, dabei doch verloren gehn? Und wie könnte sonst der arme Zöllner gerechtfertigt in sein Haus gehn vor dem begabten Pharisäer? (Luc. 18, 10-14) Mit dem eben Gesagten vergleiche man unter vielen andern folgende Stellen: Ephes. 4, 1-3; Phil. 2, 1-4; Col. 3, 12-16 In letzterer Stelle heißt es: "Lasset das Wort Christi unter euch reichlich wohnen in aller Weisheit." Wenn nun Einem gegeben wird, durch den Geist zu reden von der Weisheit, dem Andern, zu reden von der Erkenntniß, einem Andern der Glaube, einem Andern die Gabe, gesund zu machen, einem Andern Wunder zu thun, einem Andern Weissagung, einem Andern, Geister zu unterscheiden, einem Andern mancherlei Sprachen, einem Andern, die Sprachen auszulegen (I Cor. 12, 8-10), so werden sicherlich solche Gaben dazu gegeben, daß die Früchte des Geistes, welche genannt wurden, herauskommen sollen. Wenn aber Leute den besondern Gaben nachlaufen und die Begabten preisen und ausrufen, als wären die Besitzer der Gaben dadurch etwas Besonderes; oder wenn die Begabten ihre besondern Gaben dazu anwenden, um damit Aufsehen zu machen oder einen Sectenanhang zu gewinnen -- so fehlt die Weisheit, in welcher das Wort Christi reichlich unter den Christen wohnen soll.

Denn das ist gewißlich der Zweck der besondern Gaben nicht, daß man damit Staat machen und daß die Christenheit dadurch in Secten aufgelöst werden soll, wie es zu Corinth geschah, da Einer sagte: Ich bin Paulisch; der Andere: Ich bin Apollisch; der Dritte: Ich bin Kephisch; der Vierte: ich bin Christisch. Da hatte man sich in die Gaben vernarrt und so blieben die Früchte des Geistes außen. Darum macht Paulus, nachdem er im zwölften Capitel des ersten Korintherbriefes von den besondern Gaben gesprochen hat, den Uebergang zu dem berühmten 13 Capitel mit den Worten: "Und ich will euch einen noch köstlicheren Weg zeigen." Daß Absonderung, Eigendünkel, Menschensatzung u. s. w. der köstlichere Weg nicht ist, den Paulus zeigt, das wird Jeder aus dem 13. Kapitel selbst heraus lesen. Unser Herr Jesus sagt Matth. 18, 3: "Wahrlich, ich sage euch, es sei denn, daß ihr euch umkehret und werdet wie die Kinder, so werdet ihr nicht in das Himmelreich kommen."

Johann Kilian, Pastor

[GRN]

Go To Top