The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 069.000 Schaller to Kilian, [CHI, Serbin Collection], 17 Aug 1860
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 10:28 PM
069.000 Schaller to Kilian, [CHI, Serbin Collection], 17 Aug 1860

St. Louis, August 17, 1860

Dearest Pastoral Brother!

Even though you gave us little hope in your valued letter concerning your “separatists” (wherein, by the way, your procedure appeared completely justified to us), that sooner than some of our brothers would come to you, you would get the consent of your first congregation to visit our synodical conference, we nevertheless insist, in particular ---, to very cordially and brotherly invite you again to come if at all possible to the next conference of the general synod in St. Louis, which will begin on October 10. With this you would give exceptional pleasure to all of us. Maybe your first congregation can yet approve to relinquish your presence and your office for a few weeks. And it would be good for you to allow the burden and concerns of the office to be put in the background temporarily and to relax a little. At least travel money should not be an obstacle. If you will pay for the trip with your own money or borrow it, we will reimburse you. President Wyneken asked me to immediately and very cordially invite you, which I am doing with this letter. Unfortunately, W.’s letter took 14 days to reach me. I would feel exceptionally sorry if our invitation would reach you too late.

Now in the hope that the Lord will make it happen that our wish and petition will be fulfilled, I remain in cordial love

yours,
G. Schaller

Translated by Margot Hendricks/Christian Symmank

St. Louis d. 17. Aug. 1860

Geliebter Herr Amtsbruder!

Obgleich Sie uns in Ihrem werthen Schreiben in betreff Ihrer "Separatisten", (worin uns übrigens Ihre Handlungsweise als vollkommen gerechtfertig erschien) wenig Hoffnung machten, dass Sie eher, als bis einige Brüder von uns zu Ihnen kämen, die Einwilligung Ihrer l. Gemeinde erlangen würden, unsere Synodalversammlung zu besuchen: so wollen wir dennoch uns nicht abschreiben lassen, Sie noch einmal insonderheit --- recht herzlich u. brüderlich einzuladen, doch ja, wenn immer möglich, zu der nächsten Versammlung der allgem. Synode in St. Louis, die am 10. Okt. beginnen wird zu kommen. Sie würden uns allen damit eine ausserordentliche Freude bereiten. Vielleicht lässt sichs Ihre l. Gemeinde doch gefallen, auf Ihre Gegenwart u. Amtsthätigkeit für einige Wochen zu verzichten, und Ihnen würde es auch nicht übel thun, die Last u. Sorge des Amts auf kurze Zeit in den Hintergrund treten zu lassen und ein wenig aufzuathmen. Zum mindesten soll Mangel an Reisegeld kein Hindernis sein. Die Reisekosten werden Ihnen, wenn Sie dieselben nur bis hieher auslegen oder borgen wollen, hier erstattet werden. So schrieb mir der allgem. Präses Wyneken, mit dem Auftrag, Sie sogleich u. recht herzlich einzuladen, welches ich dann auch hiermit thue. Leider habe ich W.'s Brief erst nach 14 Tagen erhalten. Es sollte mir ausserordentlich Leid thun, wenn diese unsere Einladung zu spät an Sie gelangt.

Nun in der Hoffnung, der HERR werde es fügen, dass unser Wunsch u. Bitte erfüllt werde, verbleibe ich in herzlicher Liebe

Ihr
G. Schaller.

Transliterated by Bill Biar

69, 17 Aug 1860.25.jpg - 184kB

Go To Top