The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 055.000 Kilian to Gumlich (Certainty of Salvation) [Weigersdorf Archive], 5 Dec 1858
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 09:12 PM
055.000 Kilian to Gumlich (Certainty of Salvation) [Weigersdorf Archive], 5 Dec 1858

The Certainty of Salvation

(To be given to Pastor Gumlich in Weigersdorf)

How are you certain of your salvation? This question directed by me to Pastor Gumlich obtains great importance in my controversy with the Methodism and the Conventicle Christendom. However, since I wrote this question to my old homeland, I have raised the serious suspicion that I have become confused in my faith. This I gather from a letter I just received from a friend. Therefore, I must give a further explanation.

I believe there is an extraordinary and an ordinary certainty of salvation. The extraordinary certainty takes place through revelations, visions, exuberant feelings, etc. The ordinary certainty, however, one receives from the sign of grace, which the Lord Jesus so marvelously cites in Matthew 5: 3-10. In my opinion, the last certainty is sufficient and the first extraordinary one must not be forced [insisted upon], because when it comes to man without any effort on his part, it carries with it special hazards which, Paul, to whom it came, indicates in 2 Corinthians 12: 7.

Now I cite the book Martin Boos, the Preacher of Justification that is Acceptable to God. His Self-Biography, published by Johannes Gossner, Leipzig, Karl Tauchnitz, 1831." Here the Catholic Boos, and who remained a Catholic until his end, when accused of enthusiasm, refers to the Catholic confession of faith for the defense of his manner, which pretty much is the manner of the local Methodists. On page 184 it is stated: "The Council of Trent stated in Canon 16, that no one can be certain of his salvation and of his steadfastness until the end, if he did not experience it and was not assured of it through special revelation." Since Boos appeals to this sentence, he constitutes the certainty of salvation, which his parishioners experienced, as a extraordinary one and so he insisted on such, like the Methodists here insist on such. Next to this, his main point, the churches are mere forms to him, the reason why in his correspondence with the reformed, Anna Schlatter, he did not mention one word to bring her into the Catholic Church, as well as, that she did not mention one word to admonish him to leave the Catholic Church.

Now I ask: What is to be made of all those who try to induce the extraordinary certainty of salvation through fire and brimstone sermons, through impetuous praying, through many conventicles, through exhilarated songs and through other effusivenesses, but acknowledge before this extraordinary certainty that they are not certain about their salvation? And do not many of our conventicle people also do the same, although they do not make that much of it, but only push special arousals and emotional excitements? Is that not again the "old monk", work righteousness, attacked by Dr. Luther so often and many times over? And do they not come with this pride, with which you want to compel something special from God, to the sphere of the devil, so that you receive visions and revelations from the devil and view them as godly, like Augustine in one place refers to them in his confessions? And were not such revelations the consecration of Satan of many enthusiasts and sectarians?

That is why I asked the question: How can you be certain of salvation? And I now ask the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Prussia this question and wish to see a discussion of this question in the Kirchenblatt in which I would like to participate. In general, I would like to read something thorough about the pouring out of the Holy Spirit and about Romans 8:16 and I John 2: 27. Meanwhile I remain with the words of my Savior in John 20:29: "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed."

On the 5th of December 1858

Johann Kilian
Evangelical Lutheran Pastor in Texas

To be used by the Kirchenblatt as they like.

[NOTE: This article was sent to Cousin Beyer, Malschwitz, who was asked to give it to Pastor Gumlich, Weigersdorf.]

Translated by Bill Biar

Die Versicherung der Seligkeit

(Abzugeben an den Pastor Gumlich in Weigersdorf.)

Wie wird man seiner Seligkeit gewiß? Diese an den Pastor Gumlich in Weigersdorf von mir gestellte Frage erhält in meinem Kampfe mit dem Methodismus und dem Stundenchristenthum grosse Wichtigkeit. Damit aber, daß ich diese Frage in meine alte Heimath schrieb, habe ich dort den schlimmen Verdacht erweckt, als wäre ich im Glauben irre geworden. Das ersehe ich aus einem eben angekommenen Briefe eines Freundes. Darum muß ich mich weiter erklären.

Ich glaube es gibt eine außerordentliche und eine ordentliche Versicherung der Seligkeit. Die außerordentliche Versicherung kommt durch Offenbarungen, Gesichte, überschwängliche Gefühle u. s. w. Die ordentliche Versicherung aber empfängt man aus den Zeichen des Gnadenstandes, welche der Herr Jesus Matth. 5, 3-10. so herrlich aufführet. Ich halte dafür, daß die letztere Versicherung hinreichend ist und daß, die erstere außerordentliche nicht erzwungen werden darf, da sie auch dann, wenn sie einem Menschen ohne sein Zuthun zu Theil wird, ihre besonderen Gefahren mit sich führt, wie Paulus, dem sie zu Theil wurde, 2 Korinth. 12, 7. anzeigt.

Nun citire ich das Buch: "Martin Boos der Prediger des Gerechtigkeit, die vor Gott gilt. Sein Selbstbiograph. Herausgegeben von Johannes Gossner. Leipzig bei Karl Tauchnitz 1831." Da beruft sich der katholische und bis an sein Ende katholisch gebliebene Boos, den man der Schwärmerei anklagte, zur Vertheidigung seiner Weise, welche so ziemlich die Weise der hiesigen Methodisten ist, auf das katholische Glaubensbekenntniß. S. 184 heißt es: "Das Concil. Trident sagt aber can. 16., daß Niemand seines Heils und der Beharrlichkeit bis ans Ende gewiß seyn könne, wenn er nicht durch besondere Offenbarung erfahren und versichert worden wäre." Damit, daß sich Boos auf diesen Satz beruft, stellt er die Versicherung der Seligkeit, die seine Pfarrkinder erfuhren, als eine außerordentliche dar und er hat somit auf eine solche gedrungen, wie die Methodisten hier darauf dringen. Neben dieser seiner Hauptsache sind die Kirchen ihm bloße Formen, weshalb er in seinem Briefwechsel mit der reformirten Anna Schlatter, sie mit keinem Worte zur katholischen Kirche zu bringen sucht, so wie die wieder ihn mit keinem Worte zum Austritt aus der katholischen Kirche ermahnt.

Ich frage nun: Was ist von allen denen zu halten, die eine außerordentliche Versicherung der Seligkeit durch Sturmpredigten, durch ungestümes Beten, durch vieles Stundenhalten, durch berauschende Gesänge und durch andere Exaltirung zu erzwingen suchen, vor dieser außerordentlichen Versicherung aber bekennen, daß sie ihrer Seligkeit nicht gewiß sind? Und thun diess nicht auch viele unserer Stundenleute, obwohl sie es nicht so arg machen, sondern nur auf besondere Erweckungen und Gefühlserregungen treiben? Ist das nicht wieder der "alte Mönch", die von Dr. Luther so oft und vielfach angegriffene Werktreiberei? Und kommt man nicht mit diesem Hochmuth, mit dem man sich etwas Besonderes von Gott erzwingen will, auf das Gebiet des Teufels, so daß man Gesichte und Offenbarungen vom Teufel erhält und sie dann für göttliche ansieht, wie Augustinus in seinen Confessionen an einer Stelle darauf hinweiset? Und sind nicht solche Offenbarungen die Satansweihe vieler Schwärmer und Sectirer gewesen?

Das ist es, warum ich meine Frage gestellt habe: Wie wird man seiner Seligkeit gewiß? Und ich stelle diese Frage jetzt an die ev. lutherische Kirche in Preußen und wünsche eine Besprechung der Frage im Kirchenblatt zu hören, welches ich nun mithalten will. Ueberhaupt würde ich gern etwas Gründliches über die Ausgießung des heiligen Geistes und über Röm. 8, 16. und 1 Joh. 2, 27. zu lesen. Indem bleibe ich bei dem Worte meines Heilandes Joh. 20, 29: Selig sind die nicht sehen und doch glauben.

Am 5ten December 1858

Johann Kilian, ev. luther. Pastor in Texas.

Zu beliebigem Gebrauch für's Kirchenblatt.

[Note: This article was sent by Pastor Kilian to Cousin Beyer, Malschwitz, who was asked to give it to Pastor Gotthold Albert Gumlich, Weigersdorf.]

Transliterated by Bill Biar

Go To Top