The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 053.500 Ebinger to Kilian; Kilian Comments [Weigersdorf Archive, CHI, Serbin Collection], 19 Oct 1858
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 08:59 PM
053.500 Ebinger to Kilian; Kilian Comments [Weigersdorf Archive, CHI, Serbin Collection], 19 Oct 1858

DOCUMENT 5

[Attached to Pastor Kilian's letter dated 19 Oct 1858]

Near Brenham in Washington County, which borders our county, there lives a pastor by the name of Ebinger of the so-called Lutheran Texas Synod. He is a pupil of the mission institution for Texas which is located in Chrischona near Basel from which most of the ministers of the Texas Synod come. I visited this Pastor Ebinger last year in order to discuss with him our mutual ecclesiastical positions. He hosted the synodical meeting this spring. I was supposed to, and wanted to attend this meeting personally but received the notice about the day too late, since on the day on which the meeting was opened I had arranged for the beginning of confirmation instruction in New Ulm. So I could not attend instead I wrote a letter to Pastor Ebinger in order to sort out the actual direction of this synod. Since the ministers of this synod, those whom I got to know, claim to steadily confess the symbolical books of our church, I had hopes to enter into closer association with them. But I wanted to be certain. That is why I asked Pastor Ebinger for detailed information and directed 3 questions to him to put him to the test, namely:

1) What do you think of the Lutherans in Prussia and Pastor Eichhorn in Baden withdrawing from the so-called Evangelical Provincial Church? Is this withdrawal God-pleasing or not?

2) What do you think of the Evangelical alliance, in which the believers of different churches unite, concealing the distinguishing doctrines?

3) What do you think of the Communion fellowship (open Communion) of Lutherans and Reformed, of which now so many are really keen on?

Thereupon I received the following answer which I copied praemissis omissis.
J. K.

Near Brenham August 13, 1858
I very much regret that you could not come to the synod, because at this occasion the difficulties you cited could have been investigated and examined best so that you on your part and we our part would have gotten clear information. Since I am only a member of the T. S. (Texas Synod) and have no rights to do anything on behalf (in the name) of the synod, I will only give you my private view about the points you mentioned with regard to the doctrinal differences.

Your view that we are favorably disposed toward your detested UNION is absolutely unfounded, in that we uphold the genuine Lutheran Confessions as authenticated in the constitution of our synod. As Würtembergers we have nothing whatsoever to do with the Prussian Union, also concern ourselves little with it, because for us it has neither value nor importance. Even though we belong to the General Synod, nevertheless, no proof can be found that we accept the view of it in all details or in regard to freedom of thought and doctrine are adversely affected by it. In general, it is an entirely wrong view, which one has cultivated here in America, namely, that because the G. S. and other synods are not exactly like Missouri and Buffalo, therefore they are united (uniert), that is, united like you knew it at home. Much more the doctrine of the General Synod was penetrated by Puritan, Baptist and Methodist elements whereby they have, unfortunately, here and there digressed from old Luther. Our synod has nothing to do with it, in so far that the G. S. permits each member synod to have its own constitution and nowhere imposes its views. If you want to examine our constitution you may obtain a printed copy from Brother Röhm in Frelsburg, so that you can easily get things straight concerning us.

The cause of the division in my congregation is not the UNION according to your concept and sense of the word, but the union with the hypocritical form of Christendom, concealed "unchristendom" and "antichristendom", like the wicked in the Corinthian congregation had to be revealed.

All of us stand in our congregations as Lutheran ministers and deal accordingly; we would never give in to a united group, even if they were the majority. If we cannot find a Lutheran congregation we search to organize one and if we are not able to do this in Texas we would go where this would be possible. Admittedly, in this case you have it better since you brought a congregation along; therefore, you cannot understand nor properly judge our difficulties and trouble, as well as, our way of doing things. Forgive me for this sin if I did you an injustice.

As to the particular questions, my thoughts about No. 1 are these: Concerning P. Eichhorn's conduct I refrain from making a judgment. If he was certain in his belief then he did the right thing, whether or not, godly, is hard to say, in that everyone, also the most pious persons, may often mix in human things. No. 2. I believe that the alliance was an undertaking that did not reach its aspired goal. No. 3. According to the word of God and the Lutheran confessional writings only those were excluded from the Lord's Supper who were persistently unrepentant. But if you can prove either from the Holy Scriptures or from the symbolical books that the Reformed or any other denomination are not permitted to go to the Lord's Supper, then I will gladly let me be better instructed.

They should not be admitted to the Lutheran Church. Good, what then justifies those who would refuse the Lord's Supper for those who feel a need for it? Is it not the Lord's Supper? Is it not a Communion? Instituted for all believers? Or do you want to perhaps say that believers are only in the Lutheran Church? This is too strongly reminiscent of Rome. The Lord did not lease the means of grace to any church, but to His whole body, consisting of all believers and saints. When some time those from the morning, noon and night will come to the table in the kingdom of God, will there be nothing but Lutherans? But the Lord says that they will sit at the table with Abraham and so on and so forth in the kingdom of heaven. I once told the Baptists: You probably will not want to eat with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob because they were not Baptists? I hope that our Lutheran brethren in Missouri and Buffalo, and so on and so forth, are not that egotistical.

When will Christians eventually learn that Christ is not divided?

Herewith be cordially greeted. Goodbye!

Yours truly,
J. G. Ebinger

Explanatory comments: [by Kilian]. Röhm is a pastor of the Texas Synod in the town of Frelsburg, not far from New Ulm. I visited him several times. He is a dear faithful man, leaning toward pietism, without insight to the struggle against the spirit of the union of the times. So are also the aforementioned pastors Ebinger and Lieb. Besides these I also got to know one by the name of Bohnenberger, when he was a private teacher at the saw-mill of the Swiss Stüssy at Bastrop. Now he is a pastor of the Texas Synod in Fredericksburg, where he has a difficult time, since the congregation over there has divided. There is also a small congregation in the town of Bastrop, Texas Lutheran, which built a small church. Pastor Kugel, the pastor of this small congregation, was excommunicated by the Texas Synod, I really do not know why. Since he did not live with his wife very much, the congregation, except for a couple families, fell away from him. Now he has moved to the northern states and the congregation at Bastrop is at present completely without a minister. Therefore, I was recently asked to perform a baptism there and to preach in their small church on a Sunday. I did that but explained to people after the sermon, that I would certainly want to preach to them again, but I could not give them the Lord's Supper until I knew if they all were of the Lutheran confession. They should properly join together under this confession since the stumbling stone, Pastor Kugel, was now gone. There was dissent immediately. I do not know what is going to happen. - Pastor Ebinger's congregation organized without a firm confession, probably mainly for the sake of the school, and built a church. Then, I believe in the year 1856, P. Ebinger became serious about the confession, resulting in a division of the faithful and unfaithful. The faithful, who remained with Ebinger, built a new church. To the true Ebinger congregation, which, to be sure, is unionistic, the following Wendish families belong: Kjezniks [Kieschnicks] from Dauban; Mjertschin [Miertschin] from Särke [Särka], who married Agnes Kjeznik; and Casparik from Zerre near Spremberg. When a true soul of the New Ulm congregation, Magdalena Socke form Oelsa near Klitten, married a son of Casparik and wanted to move there [Brenham], there were clashes between the Wends, who sided with P. Ebinger, and me. Since then the young married people come only to me in New Ulm for Communion even though they go to church over there. But the Kjezniks are like a vacillating reed, want to be acceptable everywhere. Johann and Andreas Kjeznik both took German wives.
J. K.
[Translator's Note: A copy of Document 5 (Aktenstück 5) was enclosed in the letter, dated 10-19-1858, from Pastor Kilian to Pastor Gotthold Albert Gumlich in Weigersdorf, Prussia. The translator has a copy of Pastor Ebinger's letter dated 8-13-1858, and it should be pointed out that Pastor Kilian did not copy the first paragraph of Pastor Ebinger's letter. Pastor Kilian acknowledges this by using praemissis omissis [of what should be stated] in his document.]

[Biar]

Aktenstück 5

Bei Brenham im County of Washington, welches an unser County angrenzt, lebt ein Pastor der sogenannten Lutheranischen Texas Synode, Name Ebinger, ein Zögling der Missionsanstalt für Texas, welche in Chrischona bei Basel besteht, woher die meisten Geistlichen der Texas Synode kommen. Diesen Pastor Ebinger hatte, ich im vorigen Jahre besucht, um mich über unsere gegenseitige kirchliche Stellung mit ihm zu besprechen. Bei ihm ist in diesem Frühjahre die Synodalversammlung gehalten worden. Ich sollte und wollte zu dieser Versammlung persönlich erscheinen, erfuhr aber den Tag zu spät und da ich auf den Tag, wo die Synode eröffnet wurde, den Anfang des Confirmandenunterichts in New Ulm angesetzt hatte, so konnte ich nicht erscheinen. Dafür aber schrieb ich einen Brief an den Pastor Ebinger, um über die eigentliche Richtung dieser Synode ins Klare zu kommen. Denn da die Geistlichen dieser Synode, so viele derselben ich kennen lernte, sich fest zu den symbolischen Büchern unserer Kirche zu bekennen behaupten, so hatte ich Hoffnung, mit ihnen, in nähere Verbindung treten zu können. Doch wollte ich gewiß gehen. Deshalb fragte ich den Pastor Ebinger um nähere Auskunft und legte, ihn auf Probe zu stellen, 3 Fragen vor, nehmlich:

1) Was halten Sie von dem Austritt der Lutheraner in Preussen und des Pastor Eichhorn in Baden aus den sogenannten evangelischen Landeskirchen? Ist dieser Austritt göttlich geboten oder nicht?

2) Was halten Sie von der evangelischen Allianz, da die Gläubigen verschiedenen Kirchenparteien sich mit Vertuschung der Unterscheidungslehren vereinigen?

3) Was halten Sie von der Abendsmahlsgemeinschaft der Lutheraner mit Reformierten, wofür jetzt so Viele schwärmen?
Darauf erhielt ich, folgende Antwort, welche ich praemissis omissis abschriftlich mittheile.

Near Brenham August 13. 1858
Ich bedaure sehr, daß Sie nicht zur Synode kommen konnten, weil bei der Gelegenheit alle von Ihnen genannten Schwierigkeiten hätten am besten untersucht und geprüft werden können, so dss. Sie Ihrerseits u. wir unsererseits klare Auskunft erhalten haben würden. Da ich nur Mitglied der T. S. (Texas Synode) bin u. keinerlei Rechte habe im Namen der Synode Etwas zu thun, so theile ich Ihnen hiemit nur meine private Ansicht über die von Ihnen genannten Punkte hinsichtlich der Lehrdifferenzen mit.

Ihre Ansicht, daß wir der Ihnen so verhaßten Union gewogen seyen ist eine durchaus unbegründete, indem unser Halten an dem echten Luther. Bekentnisse in der Constitution unserer Synode verbürgt ist. Wir haben mit der Preußischen Union als Würtemberger ganz u. gar Nichts zu schaffen, kümmern uns auch wenig um sie, weil sie für uns weder Werth noch Wichtigkeit hat. Obgleich wir der General-Synode angehören, ist dennoch kein Beweis zu finden, daß wir die Ansichten derselben in allen Stücken theilen oder von ihr in Bezug der Denk- und Lehrfreiheit beeinträchtigt würden. Überhaupt ist es eine ganz verkehrte Ansicht, die man hier in Amerika sich gebildet hat, daß nämlich, weil die G. S. und andere Synoden nicht exactly, wie Missouri und Buffalo sind, deßhalb uniert seyen, d. h. unirt, wie es Ihnen von Hause aus bekannt ist. Es hat sich vielmehr in die Lehre der Gen. Syd. puritanisches, baptistisches und methodistisches Element eingedrungen, wo sie leider hie u. da vom alten Luther sich entfernt haben. Unsere Synode hat aber damit Nichts zu schaffen, indem die G. S. jeder ihr angehörenden Synode ihre eigene Constitution läßt und nirgends ihre Ansichten aufzwingt. Wollen Sie unsere Constitution prüfen, so können Sie bei Br. Röhm in Frelsburg gedruckte Exemplare finden, so daß Sie leicht über uns ins Klare kommen können.

An der Trennung in meiner Gemeinde ist nicht die Union nach Ihrem Begriff und Sinn des Worts Ursache, sondern die Union mit dem erheuchelten Formenchristenthum, verdeckt gehaltenen Unchristenthum und Antichristenthum, wie dort in der Corinth. Gemeinde die Bösen mußten offenbar werden.

Wir Alle stehen in unsern Gemeinden als luth. Prediger und handeln auch demgemäß; würden uns also nie einer unirten Parthie, wenn sie auch die Mehrzahl bildete, hergeben. Finden wir keine luth. Gemeinde so suchen wir solche zu gründen, und könnten wir dies in Texas nimmer, so gingen wir dahin, wo uns dies möglich seyn würde. Sie haben es freilich in dem Stück besser, indem Sie sich eine Gemeinde mitgebracht haben, können daher unsere Schwierigkeiten und Mühen, so wie unsere Handlungsweise nicht genug durchschauen noch gehörig beurtheilen. Verzeihen Sie mir diese Sünde, wenn ich Ihnen Unrecht thun sollte.

Die besonderen Fragen betreffend, sind meine Gedanken über No.1 diese: Über P. Eichhorn's Verhalten enthalte ich mich jedes Urtheils. Ist er seiner Meinung gewiß gewesen, so hat er recht gethan, ob aber göttlich ist schwer zu sagen, indem bei jedem, auch d. frömmsten Menschen, eben oft Menschliches untermischt wird No. 2. Von der Allianz halte ich, daß es ein Unternehmen sey, welches sein angestrebtes Ziel nicht erreicht. No. 3. Nach dem Wort Gottes und den luth. Bekenntnißschriften werden nur Solche vom Abendmahl ausgeschlossen, die beharrlich unbußfertig sind. Können Sie mir aber entweder aus der heil. Schrift od. aus den Symb. Büchern beweisen, daß die Reformirten oder eine andere Denomination nicht zum Abendmahl zugelassen werden dürften, dann lasse ich mich gern eines Bessern belehren.

Sie sollen nicht in der luth. Kirche zugelassen werden. Gut, was berechtigt denn dieselbe dazu das Abendmahl denen zu verweigern, die sich dessen bedürftig fühlen? - Ist es nicht des Herrn Abendmahl? ist es nicht eine Communion? für alle Glaübige gestiftet? Oder wollen Sie etwa sagen, nur in der luther. Kirche seyen die Gläubigen? Dies würde zu stark an Rom erinnern. Hat doch der Herr seine Gnadenmittel an keine Kirche verpachtet, sondern sie seinem ganzen Leibe, bestehend aus allen Glaübigen und Heiligen, geschenkt? - Wenn einmal die vom Morgen, Mittag und Abend zur Tafel des Reiches Gottes kommen werden, werden das lauter Lutheraner seyn? - Doch sagt der Herr, daß sie mit Abraham etc. pp. zu Tische sitzen werden im Himmelreich. Ich sagte einmal den Baptisten: Da werden Sie wohl nicht mitessen wollen, weil Abraham, Issak und Jakob keine Baptisten waren? - Ich hoffe nicht, dss. unsere luth. Brüder in Missouri und Buffalo etc. pp. auch so egoistisch sind.

Wann wollen die Christen einmal lernen, daß Christus nicht zertrennet ist?! -

Seyen Sie hiermit herzlich gegrüßt.

Gott befohlen !
Ihr ergeb. J. G. Ebinger

Anmerkungen zur Erläuterung. Röhm ist ein Pastor der Texas Synode in der Stadt Frelsburg nicht weit von New-Ulm. Ich habe ihn etliche Male besucht Er ist ein lieber gläubiger Mann pietistischer Richtung, ohne Einsicht in die Kämpfe gegen die Zeitunion. So sind auch die genannten Pastoren Ebinger und Lieb. Außer diesen habe ich noch einen Namens Bohnenberger kennen gelernt, als er Hauslehrer in der Schneidemühle des Schweizers Stüßy bei Bastrop war. Jetzt ist derselbe Pastor der Texas-Synode in Friedrichsburg, wo er einen schweren Stand hat, da die dortige Gemeine sich getrennt hat. Auch in der Stadt Bastrop ist eine kleine Gemeine, Texanisch-lutherisch, welche eine kleine Kirche aufgebaut hat. Der Pastor Kugel, der dieser kleinen Gemeine vorstand, war von der Texas-Synode, ich weiß nicht recht, warum, ausgeschlossen. Da er mit seiner Frau, wenig lebte, so fiel die Gemeine, bis auf ein Paar Familien von ihm ab. Nun ist er in die Nordstaaten gezogen und die Gemeine zu Bastrop ist, dermalen gänzlich ohne einen Prediger. Darum wurde ich ohnlängst gebeten, eine Taufe dort zu vollziehen, und einem Sonntage in ihrem Kirchlein zu predigen. Das tat ich, erklärte aber den Leuten nach der Predigt, daß ich ihnen zwar wieder predigen wollte, aber das heilige Abendmahl könne ich ihnen nicht eher geben, als bis ich wüßte, ob sie Alle des lutherischen Bekenntnisses seyn. Sie sollten sich unter diesem Bekenntniß ordentlich zusammenthun, da der Stein des Austoßes, der Pastor Kugel, nun fort sey. Da gab's schon Widerspruch Ich weiß nicht, was werden wird. - Des gedachten Pastors Ebinger Gemeinde hatte sich ohne festes Bekennniß hauptsächlich wohl um der Schule willen zusammengethan und eine Kirche erbaut. Da machte, ich glaube im Jahr 1856 P. Ebinger mit dem Bekenntniß Ernst, was eine Trennung der Gläubigen und Ungläubigen herbeiführte. Die Gläubigen, die bei Ebinger blieben, bauten eine neue Kirche. Zu der treuen Ebinger‘schon Gemeinde, welche im Grunde freilich unirt ist, gehören folgende wendische Familien: Kjeznik's aus Dauban, Mjertschen aus Särke, welcher die Agnes Kjeznik geheirathet hat, und Casparik aus Zerre bei Spremberg. Als eine treue Seele der New Ulm Gemeinde, die Magdalene Socke aus Oelsa bei Klitten, einen Sohn des Casparik heirathete und dorthin ziehen wollte, kam es zwischen den genannten Wenden, die zum P. Ebinger sich halten, und mir zu Auseinandersetzungen.

Seitdem kommen die jungen Eheleute nur bei mir in New-Ulm zum Abendmahl, obwohl sie dort in die Kirche gehen. Aber Kjeznik's sind wie ein schwankendes Rohr, wollen überall gut stehen. Johann u. Andreas Kjeznik haben beide deutsche Weiber genommen. J. K.

Translator's Note: A copy of Document 5 (Aktenstück 5) was enclosed in the letter, dated 10-19-1858, from Pastor Kilian to Pastor Gotthold Albert Gumlich in Weigersdorf, Prussia. The translator has a copy of Pastor Ebinger's letter, dated 8-13-1858, and it should be pointed out that Pastor Kilian did not copy the first paragraph of Pastor Ebinger's letter. Pastor Kilian acknowledges this by using praemissis omissis [of what should be stated] in his document.

[Biar]

53.5, 13 Aug 1858 1.1.25.jpg - 210kB

53.5, 13 Aug 1858 1.2.25.jpg - 224kB

53.5, 13 Aug 1858 1.3.25.jpg - 232kB

53.5, 13 Aug 1858 1.4.25.jpg - 212kB

Go To Top