Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 050.000 Kilian to Gumlich [Weigersdorf Archive] 26 May 1858
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 03:59 PM
050.000 Kilian to Gumlich [Weigersdorf Archive] 26 May 1858

The 26th of May 1858

Dear Brother!

Since, presumably, you will receive letters from here which will portray the present situation of this congregation as gloomy and will also try to disparage me, I will write only briefly now, and later in more detail, on events here. The long prepared struggle of the pietistic spirit of the local proponents of conventicles against the spirit of Luther has finally erupted. On Sunday Exaudi I openly spoke out against running to the Methodists; it can no longer remain as it is, either there must be, 1) a thorough reconciliation of the two spirits in the congregation, or 2) a separation, or 3) my departure. On the last day of Pentecost a congregational meeting was held, which the friends of the Methodists did not attend, but sent a written report [1] containing accusations against me as if I wouldn’t push hard enough to the new awakening, but would be a "friend of the little band" (because, that is to say, I don't let rule the presumption that certain structured conventicles were more important than public preaching, and because I did not want to push these conventicles in a legalistic manner on the whole congregation, as if they were a third means of grace, besides the Word and Sacrament). Furthermore, the report also stated that in the former dispute I did not in the sermon on grace after death reject this error vigorously enough (even though I did not publicly preach about this point, but in the discussion in the Church Council the passages for and against were quoted, whereby I explained that for this doctrine nothing certain could be alleged, because while it is true some passages sound correct, because indeed some passages sound to support this side, but other passages stand in opposition to them). The friends of the Methodists, in their report, did not mention the main thing that aroused so much dissension in the congregation: their warm-hearted union with the Methodists, but explained their separation from us. The charges are obvious and a subterfuge.

The written report was signed by: August Polnik from Weigersdorf, Michael Urban from Kubschütz, Andreas Hantschke (Prochneschko) from Baruth, Johann Urban from Rakel, Matthäus Schmidt (Hunter-Schmidt) from Reichwalde, Matthäus Wagner from Halbendorf, Jacob Mörbe from Neudorf, Ernst Mörbe from Klix, Johann Lorentschk (the son) from Reichwalde, August Dube from Rodewitz, Johann Schönig from Baruth, Christoph Kokel from Reichwalde, Jacob Urban from Kubschutz [Kubschütz]. In opposition to these representatives of the spirit of pietism being precipitous to the Methodism stand with me more than 40 families, whose names I cannot list at this time. Show my beloved Andreas Kubitz from Buchwalde the names of the above-mentioned pietists, because he knows the spirit of the Rakel and Kortnitz conventicles and thereafter will be able to form an opinion about the spirit of the movement. I have read his recently-arrived letter to his brother, who belongs to my local congregation. Greet him and tell him not to take our ecclesiastical affairs too seriously. In America every difference (of opinion) immediately catches hold in the life and gets into practice. Thereby one learns more than in stale Europe. More will follow later.

Besides the Dutschmanns, also greetings to my friends Wanack, Hilbrig and Mros from me and my wife, who together with our young Bernhard is healthy. Also greet all elders and church members at Weigersdorf, Klitten, Spremberg, etc., from

Yours truly,
Johann Kilian, P.

[1] See the copy of the letter, dated 25 May 1858, which as a document (Aktenstück 1) accompanied this letter. It was written in Wendish and lists 13 separatists, who signed the letter. The postscript was written in German.

[Biar, Symmank]

Am 26sten Mai 1858.

Lieber Bruder!

Weil vermuthlich Briefe von hier bei Euch ankommen werden, die den jetzigen Zustand dieser Gemeine trübe schildern und auch mich verunglimpfen werden, so erzähle ich Dir bis auf Weiteres nur kurz, was hier vorgeht. Der hier lange vorbereitete Kampf des pietistischen Geistes der hiesigen Conventikelleute mit dem Geiste Luthers ist endlich zum Ausbruch gekommen. Am Sonntage Exaudi erklärte ich gegen das Laufen zu den Methodisten öffentlich, es könne so nicht bleiben, entweder müsse 1) eine gründliche Versöhnung des zweierlei Geistes in der Gemeine oder 2) Trennung oder 3) mein Wegzug eintreten. Auf dem letzten Pfingsttag wurde Gemeindeversammlung gehalten, zu welcher die Methodistenfreunde sich nicht einfanden, sondern eine Schrift [1] mit Anklagen gegen mich einsandten, als ob ich nicht aufs neue Leben genug dränge, sondern Freund "des kleinen Häufleins" wäre (weil ich nehmlich die Einbildung nicht herrschen lasse, als ob gewisse geformte Conventikeln wichtiger wären, als die öffentliche Predigt, und weil ich diese Conventikeln nicht der ganzen Gemeine auf eine gesetzliche Art aufdringen lassen will, als wären sie ein drittes Gnadenmittel außer dem Wort und Sacrament) und weil ich im dem vorgefallenen Streite über die Gnadenpredigt nach dem Tode diesen Irrthum nicht scharf genug abgewiesen hätte (über welchen Punkt ich jedoch öffentlich nicht gepredigt habe, sondern in der Verhandlung des Gemeinderathes sind die Sprüche für und gegen angeführt worden, wobei ich erklärte, es lasse sich für die Lehre nichts Gewisses aufbringen, weil zwar manche Sprüche nach der Seite zu klingen, welchen aber andere Sprüche entgegenstünden). In dieser Schrift haben die Methodistenfreunde die Hauptsache, die in der Gemeine so viel Unzufriedenheit erregte, ihre herzliche Union mit den Methodisten gar nicht erwähnt, sondern ihre Trennung von uns erklärt. Die Anklagen sind offenbar und Vorwand.

Es sind in der Schrift unterschrieben: August Polnick aus Weigersdorf, Michael Urban aus Kupschütz, Andreas Hantschke (Prochneschko) aus Baruth, Johann Urban aus Rakel, Matthäus Schmidt (Hunter-Schmidt) aus Reichwalde, Matthäus Wagner aus Halbendorf, Jacob Mörbe aus Neudorf, Ernst Mörbe aus Klix, Johann Lorentschk (der Sohn) aus Reichwalde, August Dube aus Rodewitz, Johann Schönig aus Baruth, Chritoph Kokel aus Reichwalde, Jacob Urban aus Kubschutz [Kubschütz]. Gegen diese Vertreter des zum Methodismus abschüssigen Pietistengeistes stehen mit mir über 40 Familien, deren Namen ich diesmal nicht nennen kann. Zeige dem lieben Andreas Kubitz aus Buchwalde die Namen der genannten Pietisten, weil er den Geist der Rakeler und Kortnitzer Conventikeln kennt und darnach den Geist der Bewegung am besten wird beurtheilen können. Seinen kürzlich angekommenen Brief an seinen Bruder, der zu meiner hiesigen Gemeine gehört, habe ich gelesen. Grüße ihn von mir und sage ihm, er solle sich unseren kirchlichen Zustand nicht zu traurig vorstellen. In Amerika greift jede Differenz gleich ins Leben u. wird praktisch. Dabei lernt man mehr, als in dem abgestandenen Europa. Künftig mehr.

Grüße auch außer Dutschmanns noch meine Freunde Wanack, Hilbrig und Mros, von mir und meiner Frau, die mit ihrem jungen Bernhard gesund ist. Grüße ferner alle Vorsteher und Gemeindeglieder von Weigersdorf, Klitten, Spremberg u. s. w. von

Deinem ergebenen
Johann Kilian, P.

[1] See the copy of the letter, dated 25 May 1858, which was enclosed as Aktenstück 1 with this letter. It was written in Wendish and lists 13 separatists who signed the letter. The postscript was written in German.

[Biar, Symmank]

Go To Top