The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 037.000 Lahde to Schubert, [CHI, Serbin Collection], 30 Oct 1855
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 02:59 PM
037.000 Lahde to Schubert, [CHI, Serbin Collection], 30 Oct 1855

October 30, 1855
Kaschel, Saxony

Dear friend Schubert,

After much effort I have now received the money from the District Court. I have, to wit, received 458 Taler, 7 Spz. and 6 z. from the depository in Rothenburg, where 10 Taler, 11 Spz. and 6 z in costs have been deducted for me and 9 Taler paid to Judge Bran from Irheme for 6 trips to Rothenburg.

I am sending you 4 do me a favor and write to me how you are doing, whether you like it or not, or how it is going with the others or how their conditions are, and how Mrs. Richter and her family have arrived 400 Taler of this money, which I have now converted to a bill of exchange of 282 American dollars in Bautzen, and am sending it to you herewith. The remaining couple of Taler I have retained for expenses, since the 475 Taler from your business/farm in Wolfen gave notice on October 10 of this year and is payable on April 10th of the coming year. I am probably going to need some expenditure (published in writing). By the way, I am going to send to you in the spring (what the whole business amounts to) when the money from Wolfen is received. The interest on this money is going to come because Wolfen has to pay about 30 Taler of interest.

Dearest Schubert, do me a favor and write to me how you are doing, whether you like it or not, or how it is going with the others or how their conditions are, and how Mrs. Richter and her family have arrived. This woman was near and dear to me. How has it been for her? Would she like to write a few lines to me, how her conditions are and how it has been for her?

Also, I request that you send me information if the Sonsels all arrived well and if they are still living, and how they are liking things. I would also like the Sonsels to write a few lines to me. I have a large desire for information like that.

Best regards, your faithful neighbor Lahde

[Marginal note by Lahde:]
I’m going to faithfully fulfill and hand wisely the trust you have had in me.

[Note by Kilian on outside of letter:]
Johann Schubert had written to Lahde concerning the 475 Taler in February of 1856 and in December without receiving an answer.

To: Johann Schubert c/o E. Knolle
Austin County
Industry, Texas

Translated by Joel Meador

Kaschel, den 30 October 1855

Liebster Freund Schubert.

Da ich nun mit Mühe das Geld vom Kreis Gerichte erhalten habe, ich habe nämlich erhalten 458 T. 7 Spz. 6 z. aus dem Deposito aus Rothenburg, wo mir 10 T. 11 Spz. 6 auf Kosten abgezogen worden sind, für den Richter Bran aus Irheme für 6 Reisen nach Rothenburg 9 T. bezahlt. Von diesem Gelde schicke ich dir vierhundert Thaler, welches ich nun in Bau(t)zen auf einen amerikanischen Wechßel auf 282 Dol(l)ar umgewandelt habe, und dir hiermit übersende. Die fählenden paar Thaler habe ich zur Auslagen behalten, den(n) die 475 T. aus deiner Wirtschaft bei Wolfen sind erst den 10. October d. J. gekündigt, und zum 10. April k. J. zahlbar und dort werde ich wohl etwas Verlag brauchen. Übrigens die ganze Rechnung werde ich dir zum Frühjahre schicken, was die ganze Sache betragen wird, wenn ich das Geld von Wolfen erhalten werde. Die Zinsen werden aber noch über dieses Geld kommen den(n) Wolf muß gegen 30 T. Zinsen bezahlen.

Liebster Schubert bis doch so gut und schreibe mir wie dirs ge(h)t, ob es dir gefäl(l)t oder nicht, oder wie es mit den anderen ge(h)t, oder wie sie sich befinden, und wie die Richter mit ihrer Familie hingekommen ist. Mir hat die Frau sehr am Herzen gelegen. Wie es ihr mag gegangen sein, mag sie mir doch ein paar Zeilen mit schreiben, wie sie sich befindet, und wie es ihr gegangen ist.

Ebenfalts bitte ich dich mich zu benachrichtigen, ob den(n) Sunsels alle gut hinüber gekommen sind, und ob sie noch leben, und wie es ihnen gefällt, mag mir doch Sunsel auch ein paar Zeilen mit schreiben. Ich habe groß(es) Verlangen danach.

Bestens empfie(h)lt sich dein treier Nachbar Lahde

[Marginal note by Lahde:] Dein gutes Vertrauen welches du zu mir gehabt hast werde ich getreulich ausfüllen und rechthalten. ?h? ?lich ?

[Note by John Kilian on outside of letter:] Johann Schubert hat an Lahde wegen der 475 Thaler geschrieben im Februar 1856 und im December, ohne Antwort zu erhalten.

An
Johann Schubert Industry
Austin County
Care of E. Knolle
Texas

Transliterated by Christian Symmank

37 Letter 37.1 30 Oct 1855.25.jpg - 291kB

37 Letter 37.2 30 Oct 1855.25.jpg - 248kB

Go To Top