The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is one of your favorite items in the TWH Museum?
WanderingWend
Junior Posting Wend

Mood: Great!

question.gif posted on 2-14-2011 at 07:35 PM
What is one of your favorite items in the TWH Museum?

I hope I am the only one that is not always the most observant visitor to museums, but in an effort to provide a lighter side to research and collaboration I submit this question as a way for all members to think about their visit(s) to the museum and its strong points in your own opinion.

Keep in mind this is just for fun, as for me I will use your response(s) to make a point and take an extra look at the items/areas next time I'm in the museum.

So, to start things off I really like the Lebenswecker which translates to English as 'Life awakener'. It's to the right of the longrifle mounted on the wall in the central building (The Peter Building) of the museum complex.

Used primarily by dentists and doctors for a variety of gum / skin problems in the mid to late 1800s it was also popular for use in a home environment, reportedly so for our Wendish ancestors. It operated by a strong spring that when pulled back, slams the needles into patient (or victim depending on how you view the situation). The instrument is described and pictured in John Carter’s Book on Dental Collectibles and the Wilbur Book on Antique Medical Antiques as “Baunscheidt’s Lebenswecker” to cure skin conditions and gum problems.

Why did you not grow up with it being used? Well surprisingly I have read that it brought great results for feeling better but the highly specific liquid irritant "oleum" disappeared from the market where the Wends ordered it from (Germany). In operation, the sharp Teeth would be dipped into “oleum”, retracted and then pulled back and released to drive needles into patient’s irritated or abscessed skin or gum. My guess is the medical professions stopped using this bizarre instrument which led to the disappearance of the oleum from suppliers.

If you'd like to read more about it and its creator: https://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=553...

"Avito Viret Honore - Per Aspera ad Astra"
Kathe
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 07:24 PM

I had to laugh when I opened and read your posting! I was going to say the same thing! The Lebenswecker (sp?) was by far the most interesting item I saw, and I saw many interesting items! All the medical stuff was of interest to me. My Wendish grandfather, Otto Weise, was a pharmacist in Thorndale.

The clothes interest me as well. I enjoy sewing and do research into historical wardrobes.

Kathe
webmaster
Super Administrator

Mood: The webmaster is Happy!

[*] posted on 4-12-2012 at 11:37 AM
The Pictures

I always enjoy gazing at the photos displayed. I tend to lose myself in thought as I think of the challenges faced in the past. The absence of air conditioning always crosses my mind. Hats served an important function. The Orkin Man was non-existent, so the battle against insects and pests must have also been challenging.
thettler
Rookie Wendish Poster

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 01:19 PM
TWHS Museum favorites

I agree, the photos are my favorite along with the family history library and the books for purchase!

Tonya (Zoch) Hettler

Go To Top