The Wendish Research Exchange

100.600 Buenger to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 12 Feb 1868

mersiowsky - 8-18-2018 at 08:46 PM

100.600 Buenger to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 12 Feb 1868

Dear Pastor,

The exchange authorization for the 120 dollars in gold from Mr. Loeftler in Houston has finally arrived. A delay of transaction occurred because the exchange was placed at a bank in New York. Now we need to determine at what rate the bank will evaluate the gold. I expect to receive the money in a few days and will distribute it in accordance with your determination. Your son has also written to me, asking that I send the money intended for him, as soon as possible. I am happy to know that you now have more money to spend, as before. Still, it is a Christian obligation to give, which must be cultivated. And the Synod ensures that every Christian is taught about this duty. As yet, we do not dispense alms. Whoever gives gladly will receive more in return than was given, a totally, subdued, jogged and overused teaching of manners. I have also written to Dr. Lindermann about your need for a school teacher. He would like to assist in finding a school teacher for you, provided that your dear congregation send me a timely vocational requirement for a teacher. From this vocational outline, one must be able to determine what the congregation requires and what it is prepared to offer. A prospect’s name may be left blank. There should be a declaration on how much the congregation is willing to spend on retirement for the called teacher. From that, one might assess whether it could be a married teacher or if it needed to be someone unattached. The teacher should also be an organist and be able to play the organ. He should also be very capable in the English language so that he might give instruction in such, at least to the extent of reading and organized play in English. We have not been able, until now, to find anyone interested in being a preacher for the community near Houston; but we will put forth all effort and hope that the community will also have a little patience. You might discern that the pastoral office currently directs efforts only into Texas. Would you be interested in taking a call toward the north? I have recently recommended you for a pastoral position in the vicinity of Addison. I have not been advised, until now, whether the congregation has sent a vocational document for you, or not. The president in your congregation would receive the accord. It takes rarely a year for us to have a name. Where might there be several church sanctifications at the same time. My new church shall be, [or better] yet, will be ranked Dom. Laetare. I am anxious for you to have me read, for once, there, about your church call and the emergence of the parish community and its condition in the “Lutheraner”. With many brotherly greetings and wishes for blessings, I remain with high regard and love
Yours,
in faithfulness to Christ
J. F. Buenger

St. Louis
The 12th of Febr. 1868

Translated by John Buerfeind

Theurer Herr Pastor,

Endlich ist der Wechsel auf 120 Doll. in Gold von Herrn Löftler in Houston angelangt. Eine Verzögerung der Auszahlung entstand dadurch, daß der Wechsel auf eine Bank in New York ausgestellt war. Man will nun erst wissen wie hoch die Bank das Gold bewehren will. In diesen Tagen muß ich das Geld bekommen und nach Ihrer Bestimmung es vertheilen. Ihr Herr Sohn hat auch an mich geschrieben, ihm sobald als möglich das Geld, das für ihn bestimmet sei, zu schicken. Das will ich auch gern glauben, daß Sie jetzt mehr Geld auszugeben haben, als früher. Es ist aber auch eine Christenpflicht des Geben, die gelernt werden muß. Und dafür sorgt die Synode, daß jeder Christ solche Pflicht erst lernt. Almosen geben wir noch nicht. Wer frölich giebt bekommt vielmehr, als er gegeben hat, ein voll, gedrückt, gerüttelt und überfleissiger (Moos). Wegen eines Schullehrers für Sie hab ich auch an Dr. Lindermann geschrieben, Er möchte förderlich für die Erlangung eines Schullehrers sein, wenn Ihre l[iebe] Gemeinde eine Vocation für einen Lehrer an mich bei Zeiten einsendte. In der Vocation muss man sehen, was die Gemeinde verlangt und was sie geben will. Der Platz für den Namen könnte leer gelassen werden. Auch möchte erklärt werden, wie viel Ruhegeld die Gemeinde für den berufenen Lehrer zu zahlen willens sei. Daraus wäre zu erkennen, ob es ein verheiratheter Lehrer sein könne oder ob es ein lediger Lehrer sein müsse. Der Lehrer soll doch auch Organist sein und also Orgelspielen können. Er soll doch auch so mit der englischen Sprache mächtig sein, daß er darin Unterricht erteilen kann, wenigstens im englisch Lesen und Spielen. Bis jetzt haben wir noch keinen Prediger (interessieren) können für die Gemeinde in der Nähe von Houston; aber wir geben aus alle Mühe; wenn nur die Gemeinde auch etwas Gedult haben wollte. Sie sehen also, daß der Pfarr nur hingang in Texas verschafft. Würden Sie denn noch einen Beruf nach den Norden annehmen? Ich habe neulich Sie mit vorgeschlagen für eine Pfarrstelle in der Nähe von Addison. Bis jetzt habe ich noch nicht erfahren, ob die Gemeinde eine Vocation an Sie abgeschickt hat, oder nicht. Der Herr erhalte die Einigkeit in Ihrer Gemeinde. Ohne Namen bringt man selten ein Jahr hin. Wo werden wohl zu gleicher Zeit Kirchenweihung fallen. Meine neue Kirche soll Dom. Laetare, (solsath) will, eingestuft werden. Ihr Kirchenruf und zugleich die Entstehung [der] Pfarr Gemeinde und den Stand derselben sollten Sie mir dort im “Lutheraner” einmal zu lesen geben. Mit vielen brüderlichen Grüssen und Segenswüschen verbleibe ich in aller Hochachtung und Liebe
Ihr
in Christo ergebenen
J. F. Bünger

St. Louis,
Den 12. Febr. 1868

Transliterated by John Buerfeind

Transliterator/translator’s notes:
( ) not sure of the transliterated letters
[ ] inserts for perceived missing letter or words

1988.116 page 1 75.jpg - 585kB

1988.116 page 2 75.jpg - 593kB

1988.116 page 3 75.jpg - 566kB