The Wendish Research Exchange

Bridge of Spies

mersiowsky - 10-20-2015 at 02:38 PM

From Cathy Peterson:

I just went to the new Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg movie, Bridge of Spies, and think you might enjoy it from the Wendish viewpoint:

For those of you who have met Helga and Kurt Kruegermann, of Wendish pickle fame, who escaped East Berlin, moments before the Berlin wall went up.....

Remember my letters about Annie Muschick Irmer, Wend from Vetschau, Germany and distant relative to myself, who escaped Berlin through the aid of the US Embassy and told us her harrowing tale.....

Or Waltraud Zimmerman, Canadian Wend, now living in LA, who escaped by jumping off the train as it passed through West Berlin.....

Or Christiana Wiewel (who was an infant trapped with her mother in East Berlin during the wall period, and saved by the food drops of the US and who is the friend of Don and Geneda Schwanke, and who helped translate the old Mehlow letters, from the 1800’s.....

Or if you were on the 2nd Iowa Wends trip to Drachhausen..... and remember our trip to Check Point Charlie in Berlin and the Escape Museum.......

......................this movie might be for you......

It depicts the building of the Berlin wall, shows the condition of East Berlin after the war, and depicts the cold war tension that followed WWII..............

It gives an idea of the danger of being in Berlin at this time and also the courage of those who lived through this dangerous period in world history.

I could not help but think about Helga and Kurt’s, Annie’s and Waltraud’s incredible bravery and the risks they took to escape from East Berlin.....

This is worth seeing if you get the chance!!!!

Cathy Petersen
Iowa Wends